2Pac Shakur Honored By Oakland: Street Renaming Ceremony Celebrates Legendary Rapper

KingsOfKings

π”»π•£π•–π•’π•ž π•„π•–π•£π•”π•™π•’π•Ÿπ•₯
Daps
d4e88a5c-f50a-471f-bc5f-da36d11c0ab7_2Pac+%281%29.jpg

"A street renaming ceremony for Tupac Shakur is scheduled to take place today, Nov. 3 in Oakland.

Earlier this year, the Oakland City Council approved the renaming of a prominent street in honor of Tupac in a unanimous decision, Golden Gate Media reports. Tupac spent years living in Oakland, eventually joining the legendary Bay Area rap group, Digital Underground. His renamed street encompasses the stretch of MacArthur Boulevard between Van Buren and Grand Avenue.

The program is set to feature speeches from community leaders as well as a special appearance by Sekyiwa Shakur, Tupac Shakur’s sister and CEO of the Tupac Amaru Shakur Foundation.

"We hope that this street sign resides at the intersection of love, courage, compassion, honor, and community. These are important virtues for me, my family, and the Tupac Amaru Shakur Foundation," Sekyiwa said in a statement. "We look forward to peace, healing, and building new legacies on Tupac Shakur Way."

Trailblazing Oakland rapper MC Hammer expressed his excitement about the street renaming as well, sharing a lengthy message on social media.

"It took a few words that only WE would understand after me and PAC met face to face. A Brotherhood was established, a foundation to build upon that was more important than music," he wrote. "We would use the arts as tools to push the culture forward and unite our folks. This video shows that genuine authentic love and bond that was built. Pac left me a message and said press play when you get to the studio. When I got there I did just that and to my surprise, it was Pac rapping as if he’s Hammer! Me! PAC appointed himself as the Executive Producer of my next album and he was going to make sure it was tight! He was writing, producing, and arranging songs and movie scripts that had his OG Oakland homeboy in them. He knew who he was and the power and influence he had at that time (25yrs old) and he was making sure he empowered the people he loved and cared about. We had plans. He knew I loved him... So y’all celebrate with me as the city that Tupac loved (Oaktown) loves him back by naming a street after him. Now that’s Too Tight!!"

MC Hammer Celebrates 2Pac's Street Renaming; Shares Pac Wanted to Executive Produce His Next Album