38 inmates in North Carolina have died either behind bars or at a hospital after falling ill in jail

Crude Abolitionist

End Slavery
Supporter
Daps

Enough is enough is enough. So far this year, 38 inmates in North Carolina have died either behind bars or at a hospital after falling ill in a county jail. This is the second highest number of such deaths in the 20 years the state has been keeping track of them.

In 18 of these deaths, state investigators found problems with the supervision of inmates. The record for “supervision failures” as they’re called is 19, in 2015.

Here is one example, this one being the latest inmate death connected to a lack of supervision, as reported by The News & Observer’s Dan Kane: A Brunswick County Jail inmate, Tony Edward Long, was in his cell in August, and detention officers passed his cell on the evening shift six times, but looked in just once. It was curious that Long was on the bed with both feet touching the floor.

At just before 6 a.m., a nurse walked in and found that Long was dead. He had died, it turned out, shortly after midnight from pneumonia.

The News & Observer last summer published a five-part series, “Jailed to Death,” that looked at the deaths of inmates in county jails, and the look was disturbing: failure of supervision, either failing to check on inmates enough or broken cameras or intercoms, sometimes leaving contraband in cells that inmates used to kill themselves. And a curious loophole in regulations meant that jails could avoid reporting deaths if inmates had been moved to hospitals and died there, even if they’d become ill in jails.

Since that series ran, additional attention has gotten more jails to report those deaths in hospitals. But the problems with staffing continue, evidenced not just by supervision problems of inmates but by the deaths of some guards, as reported in a Charlotte Observer series this fall. Those deaths at the hands of inmates were a result of a shortage of guards, something that continues to be a problem though the state is trying to improve pay.

They are trying to blame this on staffing....NO its slavery. The state knows its slavery and does nothing.
Gov. Roy Cooper has not plans on speaking out about slavery and the 13th Amendment exception clause so I don't expect anything to happen there. We have to be the change. The people have to start speaking up about 21st century slavery and ending it for good in Amerikkka. Just trying to do my part in spreading the word of abolitionism commenting on these horrific situations.

Deadly problem, known solution

ThisWorldAintRight

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Here is one example, this one being the latest inmate death connected to a lack of supervision, as reported by The News & Observer’s Dan Kane: A Brunswick County Jail inmate, Tony Edward Long, was in his cell in August, and detention officers passed his cell on the evening shift six times, but looked in just once. It was curious that Long was on the bed with both feet touching the floor.

At just before 6 a.m., a nurse walked in and found that Long was dead. He had died, it turned out, shortly after midnight from pneumonia.

Jesus.:snoop:
I'm just gonna assume no punishments were handed out.:stopitslime:

Crude Abolitionist

End Slavery
Supporter
Daps
Jesus.:snoop:
I'm just gonna assume no punishments were handed out.:stopitslime:

Of course what you expect? Did slave owners or overseers ever get punished?

I got a story on deck about teens in jail getting their arms broken by staff no punishment was given and they botched the investigation. Will post it tomorrow.

Gwoppo

All Star
Daps
Of course what you expect? Did slave owners or overseers ever get punished?

I got a story on deck about teens in jail getting their arms broken by staff no punishment was given and they botched the investigation. Will post it tomorrow.
On camera too.
And you bet not defend yo self. Get yo shyt pushed all the way back, then strapped to da motorcycle wit a mesh bag over ya head...torture

K.Dot

African American
Daps
Reppin
Bro 'nem
I love your threads as of late bro. Shine light on the new plantations and the biggest issue black men in America face today, :salute: @Datcrud