[4/7-4/30]AJPW presents: Champion Carnival

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Yup, this tourney is living up to expectations so far. More notables matches from the first 2 days.

-Kento vs Shingo was really good. Miyahara's flash offense doesn't bode well with leg selling but he did better than most in that regard all things considered - you could argue he should change his formula when the story of the match is his leg getting worked on, but made the effort to sell as much as possible - and Shingo was awesome working on top. The Wada fukkery at the beginning made this fun from the get go too. Strong main event for Day 1 :obama:

-Shuji vs Hino
Shuji Ishikawa vs. Yuji Hino (AJPW - Champion Carnival 2018 - Day 1)

Give me this Shuji this whole tournament please. I love dude but it seems every match of his these days ends up with a bunch of excess that's not needed, in this match he never went full retard which I really appreciated. His early work on Yuji's mid section was pretty good too. Haven't seen Hino in like 3 or 4 years and he's pretty much wrestling the same as always, which works in this match and will work throughout this tourney. Fun match, worth a watch.

-Shuji vs Joe Doering
Joe Doering vs. Shuji Ishikawa (AJPW - Champion Carnival 2018 - Day 2)

This was shaping up to be fukking great but it kinda fell apart during Ishikawa's comeback. First 10 minutes is Joe demolishing Shuji - can't even remember a match were he was manhandled like this - and then they kinda just rushed it to the finish. It's still good but could've been so much better, these two have great chemistry though, they can have dope sprints and this kind of more methodical match.

-Kento vs N. Nomura
https://vk.com/video289484704_456244790
The current Ace against the young prodigy, y'all know I love both of these guys and this delivered almost everything I wanted :banderas: From the get go Kento is annoyed by the young kid that the crowd has really grown into in the last year, at first he tries to establish his dominance and act cocky, more corncerned about Wada not letting him do what he wants that really treating Nomura as a threat. But Naoya is no slouch and he's in it for a fight, he MAKES Miyahara give a damn by hitting him with elbows and getting up every single time Kento hit him hard. Loved the countout tease and Nomura's comeback afterwards, that spear to roll up pin combination was dope as fukk and had me fooled. Same with Naoya fighting with everything he got so Kento wouldn't hit the straight jacket German because he knew that was death for him. This had some down times but I was compelled throughout by Miyahara's antics, Wada being Wada and Nomura's resilience. The final 5-6 minutes were great, whole match was awesome. MOTYC @Don Ibiza Ibrahimovic @3Rivers @SubZeroDegrees @Ace of the Metropolitan Naoya got noticed of Takuya's performance at the Strong Climb tournament and wants to leave a mark in the CC :wow:

Will do my best to catch up with days 3 and 4 on the weekend.

Last edited:

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
Shingo/KENTO was everything I imagined it would be :wow:. You can take the breh out the DG but you can't take the DG out of the breh, so you know that limbwork is on deck regardless. Great watch though.

Shuji v Hino :blessed: Big ole hoss battle

Only through Day 1 but this tournament is delivering on a host of levels already

SubZeroDegrees

50 shots in the blender.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Nawlins
Shuji and Hino were great. Hoss it up with a nice sprint to the finish.

Bout to watch Kento vs the Young Bull

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
It was kinda sad watching them run a place that can hold 5,000 people with the smallest set up possible (only first floor in a quarter of the arena) for Day 3. I mean, whoever thinks All Japan is in any sort of resurgence should watch this and understand the company's real status at this time.

But anyways, there wasn't any match that I'd say was can't miss but here's the links with some of my thoughts.

-Doering vs Bodyguard
Joe Doering vs. The Bodyguard (AJPW - Champion Carnival 2018 - Day 3)

This could've been really good in front of a hot crowd, and it could've been a good sprint regardless if it didn't have such a bad/funny botch when they were going for the stretch run before the finish. It's a very short sprint between two big dudes, but there's not a lot to remember. Harmless if you have the time and watch it, but completely skippable imo.

-Yoshie vs Dylan James
https://vk.com/videos289484704?z=video289484704_456244847/pl_289484704_-2

Man, I think the last time I saw Yoshie it was like 2011 or something, I remember really liking him in the late 2000's. This match worked better than Joe/Bodyguard as it had a little more heat, better striking and a better flow. Fun little match.

-Jun vs KAI
https://vk.com/videos289484704?z=video289484704_456244850/pl_289484704_-2

Some very interesting highs in here, Akiyama's selling and offense in particular, and KAI being so over the top about everything that it kinda drags your attention to whatever he's doing. I hated the trading suplexes sequence though, it served literally no purpose and it wasn't a crowd that was going to go crazy for that kind of spot, so it tuned me out of the match for a while. A lot of nearfalls too, they gave the crowd a "main event" style match that worked in parts but I wouldn't say it clicked completely.

DAY 4:

This one was better...

- Zeus vs Dylan James
Dylan James vs. Zeus (AJPW - Champion Carnival 2018 - Day 4)

This ended quick as fukk. Basically 5 minutes of these two clashing, chopping and doing lariats against each other.

- Hino vs Doering
https://vk.com/videos289484704?z=video289484704_456244856/42d8a703444a4b8b17/pl_289484704_-2

I mean, this is why you book Hino, you have him take a beating like a man, then dish out punishment like a man, and then see who wins in the final sequence. I'm interested in seeing if he works the same type of match against Nomura, I hope we see a little wrinkle and he works as a dominant big guy, we'll see.

-Suwama vs Yoshie
https://vk.com/videos289484704?z=video289484704_456244855/pl_289484704_-2

Really fun match. The story is very simple, Suwama thinks he can take the fat pink b*stard but Yoshie shows him he's a crafty fat b*stard. Watching Suwama show desperation was unexpected and really worked for me in this one :obama:

ps: BTW, just like Ole, I refuse to waste time watching Yoshytatsu matches.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Day 5

-Jun vs Yoshie
Jun Akiyama vs. Yutaka Yoshie (AJPW - Champion Carnival 2018 - Day 5)

Gonna be honest, I saw the first few minutes and then got distracted by other stuff. Didn't have the motivation to re watch it, but here's the link :heh:

-Dylan James vs Marufuji
https://vk.com/videos289484704?z=video289484704_456244879/pl_289484704_-2

This big ass dude getting paid to throw stiff chops and work 6 minute matches :heh: Maru was pretty bad in this I thought.

-The Bodyguard vs Naoya Nomura
https://vk.com/videos289484704?z=video289484704_456244878/pl_289484704_-2

Fun little sprint :ehh:

Can't wait to get to Day 7, shyt looks fukking lit.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Day 6 was forgettable.

Haven't seen Day 7 yet, it was a lot of interesting matchups (Shuji/Kento, Jun/Suwama and Shingo vs Hino) but I skipped ahead to watch this.

Shuji Ishikawa vs Naoya Nomura - AJPW 4/16/18
Naoya Nomura vs. Shuji Ishikawa (AJPW - Champion Carnival 2018 - Day 8)

I think it's the type of match most people will like more than I did. First third is Shuji being an awesome bully and getting into Wada fukkery while he beats the fukk outta young Naoya. Then Nomura no sells and shows fighting spirit and it's pretty much a sprint with both dudes dishing it out, throwing boms and no selling stuff :pachaha: it's fun for what it was but it's not the style I'm most fond of. As I said, I'm sure the majority will think it's better than I did.

MightyHealthy

said what he said
Daps
Reppin
PUROGANG
Kento vs. Marufuji

About what I expected for finals, after the first couple of days...but goddamn, should be a hell of a match!

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
By the way the tournament has been pretty damn great. Most of the matches are short and worked as sprints so they are very easy to follow and not get bothered by flaws and most of the days have a very damn good match or even two.

Y'all missing out :manny:

SubZeroDegrees

50 shots in the blender.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Nawlins
@Jmare007 @MightyHealthy I had time to watch some of the matches tonight.

Joe Doering vs Kento Miyahara

I like Joe controlling most of the match and focusing on Kento neck. Outside of some Kento offense, it was basically Joe wearing Kento down to set up some lariats and piledrivers. Kento kills me with his selling. How the fukk you headbutt a much bigger guy, sell it for 3 seconds and go to back on offense let nothing happen. :stopitslime:

Kento Miyahara vs Yuji Hino

For a match that was the decider for Block A, it didn't feel like Hino was going to upset Kento. It was even back and forth but nothing that sense Hino was going win.
Korakuen Crowd was :yeshrug: til the finish. I felt Kento/Shuji or Joe would be better decider pairing.

Jun Akiyama vs Naomichi Marufuji

Jun fukking Akiyama :wow:

48 year old still putting a match of the night performance.

Started out Akiyama outsmarting Marufuji like he's an AJPW young boy. Marufuji got some offense but got cute :ufdup:

Akiyama suddenly became grumpy old Jun and start beating the shyt outta Marufuji :mjgrin:

Seems like every time Marufuji bout to take control and Jun was one step ahead. Of course, Korakuen was hot and behind Akiyama. The history between the two plus Ol man Jun defending All Japan against that damn outsider made it a must watch. If only Marufuji found some way to pull the Perfect Small Package Hold like old times, I would probably :mjcry: