50 Cent Salutes Method Man On NAACP Image Award: 'He Was Always No. 1 In Wu-Tang To Me'

LevelUp

Born To Mack
Daps
50-cent-congratulates-method-man-naacp-image-award-1200x675.png

"50 Cent has congratulated Method Man after he emerged a winner at the 2023 NAACP Image Awards.

The rapper-turned-actor was crowned Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series for his role as criminal defense attorney Davis MacLean in Power Book II: Ghost.

Meth (real name Clifford Smith) was also nominated in the Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture category for his appearance in the Hip Hop musical drama On The Come Up.

Following his win, 50 Cent — co-creator and executive producer of the Power universe — took to social media to salute Method Man, saying he “was always No. 1 in Wu-Tang to me.”

“@methodmanofficial is no joke, he was always #1 in Wu Tang to me but he has transitioned into something that has to be celebrated” he wrote. “This train won’t stop, shout out to @naacp for recognizing and the ZARS network.”

Meth replied in the comments section: “Boom!!!” along with a series of fire and trophy emojis.

The 51-year-old also celebrated his NAACP Image Award in an Instagram post of his own, writing: “3rd times the charm.. another win for the team.. naacp image award winner.. PowerBook II Season 3 ..March 17.”

Method Man has developed something of a stronghold on the Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series category having previously won the award in 2021 and 2022 — both for his aforementioned role in Power Book II: Ghost.

The Wu-Tang Clan veteran wasn’t the only Hip Hop artist who took home silverware at this year’s NAACP Image Awards. Kid Cudi and his Entergalactic collaborators won Outstanding Writing in a Television Movie or Special, while Will Smith took home Outstanding Actor in a Motion Picture for his lead role in Emancipation.

“This is WILD! Thank u so much to the @naacpimageaward for the love!!!” Cudi tweeted while reacting to his win. “Entergalactic was a huge passion project of mine, and its a beautiful thing gettin recognized for the hardwork we put into it. I am so so happy that an idea I had ended up being a really epic one.”

“WOW!! NAACP!! I am absolutely humbled by this!!” Smith wrote on Instagram after his own victory. “I want to share this with my entire #Emancipation family – @antoinefuqua, @charmainebingwa, Ben, Bob, Jon the whole team at @westbrook and @appletvplus… I am so proud of the work we put into this film.

“I would like to thank the NAACP for honoring our film! @derricknaacp – you and your entire organization – and the work you do all year round – is truly important, so to be recognized by y’all – it means a lot.”

In the music categories, Quavo and TakeOff’s “Hotel Lobby” was crowned Outstanding Hip Hop/Rap Song, Beyoncé won both Outstanding Female Artist and Outstanding Album (Renaissance), Chris Brown took home Outstanding Male Artist and Rihanna’s “Lift Me Up” earned Outstanding Music Video honors.

Method Man could pick up more accolades for his acting chops in Power Book II: Ghost as the acclaimed series has been renewed for a third season, which is set to premiere on March 17 on STARZ.

An action-packed trailer for the forthcoming season debuted earlier this month, promising “twists, turns and murder.” It also appears that Davis MacLean is taking on a larger mentor/consultant role in Tariq’s life that extends well beyond their attorney/client relationship.

Last year, rumors circulated that T.I. was originally tapped to play Method Man’s character after comments made by Ghost actors Michael Rainey Jr. (Tariq) and Gianni Paolo (Brayden).

“I heard – this is a rumor, I can’t confirm,” Paolo told TMZ. “T.I. was supposed to play Method Man’s character. I don’t know if there was beef or something happened, but he never ended up playing him, and Meth was Davis MacLean.”

Rainey added: “This was early in the production before we started filming. We showed up to set, and Method was there. They didn’t really tell us.”

However, the Atlanta rapper later refuted that claim during an appearance on former NFL player Tony “The Closer” Robinson’s Get Yo Ass Up! podcast.

“That’s not true,” he said with a puzzled look on his face. “50 and I were executive producers on a different show, outside of the Power universe. But nah, man. Me and 50 cool.”

50 Cent Congratulates Method Man On NAACP Image Award

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
50 cent still lowkey throwing shade by saying Meth was and is the one, he aint never said another wu members name since his wu diss track :dead:

He was asked about that Wu diss record and brushed it off, then praised "OB4CL" in the same interview.

The only Wu member he said he didn't like was GZA, but this was when he dissed him. I bet if you ask him now he'll say he loves "Liquid Swords". Same as he did with Ghost and Rae.

As far as the thread, 50 has always been a huge fan of Method Man.

Fred.

Black Hans

Follow Jesus. Be Beautiful
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
John 14:6
50 cent still lowkey throwing shade by saying Meth was and is the one, he aint never said another wu members name since his wu diss track :dead:
:mjlol: @ these ducktales. 50 always stated that Method Man was the best Wu Tang member lyrically even when he dissed the rest of them with the "Philosophies, Philosophies, Microscopes" on Shade45. :laugh: @ thinking 50 shook to mention Wu-Tang members by name.

TrifeGod

Chasing The Dragon
Daps
Reppin
Above The Clouds
:mjlol: @ these ducktales. 50 always stated that Method Man was the best Wu Tang member lyrically even when he dissed the rest of them with the "Philosophies, Philosophies, Microscopes" on Shade45. :laugh: @ thinking 50 shook to mention Wu-Tang members by name.
y’all not overstanding what I’m saying, don’t even worry about it lol

BulletProof

Just a B@stard Living in a Suit
Daps
Reppin
Neck ties and boxing gloves.
I'm happy anytime a Wu general gets flowers.

And this isnt for music but is a rap board so since were on that subject...

Up to about 2000, GZA was my favorite out of the Wu. Then after awhile, release after release, it was kind of undeniably Ghost.

That said, GZA's 50 diss fell flat. Thr most important part of a diss is impact. It had none. Thats why Hit EM Up is considered one of the GOAT diss songs despite it being mostly name calling and threats. It did damage.

Wu-Tang is my favorite rap group and near untouchable but you're a try hard if you think that diss meant anything. I literally saw a post that said 50 was never the same since.

Come the fukk on.

Anyway, glad to see Meth is getting well deserved recognition for his acting, giving rap his A game (SEE Hoffa interview), and generally being ultra focused.

Good shyt.

Last edited:

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
That's what NOT throwing someone down a flight of stairs can do for you lol