52 Republicans and 12 Democrats Want To Help Banks Hide Racial Discrimination In Mortgages

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
Original thread

No new friends: Democrats Want To Help Banks Hide Racial Discrimination In Mortgages

--------------------------------------------------
splinternews.com/democrats-are-trying-to-help-the-banks-racially-discrim-1823427155

"When banks do offer mortgages to black and Hispanic families, they are often costly and high-risk. A 2016 study from the National Bureau of Economic Research found that “Hispanic Americans are 78% more likely to be given a high-cost mortgage, and black Americans are 105% more likely.”

Now, Democrats in the Senate are working with Republicans to make it easier for banks to get away with this practice. By further eroding the CFPB’s oversight and regulatory powers, banks would be able to continue overcharging black families and pushing them into expensive and risky mortgages with little fear of reprisal."

The Senate will vote on the package next week. Here are the 12 Democrats (and one independent) who are co-sponsoring the bill:

Sen. Michael Bennet (D-CO)
Sen. Tom Carper (D-DE)
Sen. Chris c00ns (D-DE)
Sen. Joe Donnelly (D-IN)
Sen. Heidi Heitkamp (D-ND)
Sen. Doug Jones (D-AL)
Sen. Tim Kaine (D-VA)
Sen. Angus King (I-ME)
Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV)
Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-MO)
Sen. Gary Peters (D-MI)
Sen. Jon Tester (D-MT)
Sen. Mark Warner (D-VA)

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
cfpb is worthless right now, maybe you guys should've participated in the last presidential election when everything was on the line

just because they have a D next to their names doesn't mean some progressive can hold their seat either

truth2you

All Star
Daps
cfpb is worthless right now, maybe you guys should've participated in the last presidential election when everything was on the line

just because they have a D next to their names doesn't mean some progressive can hold their seat either
this is actually what you want, their hands have been exposed to the point they can't lie anymore. Now you have PROOF you can use against them for the next election.

In order to have change, you have to go through bullshyt.

It trips me out when people say they want change, but not willing to go through pain to get it.

No one will give up power because you complain, they give it up because they have to or have an incentive to.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
More whining about parties having members across the spectrum. More pretending it's something specific to democrats. :mjlol:

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
A lot of these democrats either are on the board or are having their pockets supplemented by these lenders who make their money off the backs of minorities desperate for home ownership.
Or likely it's part of a larger bill that gives their constituents what they are asking for. :ehh:

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
Or likely it's part of a larger bill that gives their constituents what they are asking for. :ehh:
yeah it bes like that sometimes. i was reading about the arming teachers bill in florida and since the senate is only 15 democrats and 23 republicans instead of just saying fukk that bill some black democrats realizing that it was gonna pass anyway asked for an amendment that requires diversity training of the teachers because they rightfully fear that black kids will suffer the most form teachers packing heat. it might not help, but at least they threw something in a bill they had no way of stopping.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
yeah it bes like that sometimes. i was reading about the arming teachers bill in florida and since the senate is only 15 democrats and 23 republicans instead of just saying fukk that bill some black democrats realizing that it was gonna pass anyway asked for an amendment that requires diversity training of the teachers because they rightfully fear that black kids will suffer the most form teachers packing heat. it might not help, but at least they threw something in a bill they had no way of stopping.

:mjlol: nah they shouldn't have done shyt

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC

The danger here is the rhetoric should that bill backfire (which I think we could all see the potential issues arising). Those are the Dems whose names will be thrown out to show how they flip flop on the issue and don't actually care about gun control, etc. You know the drill. It's a double-edged sword and the small victories strategies have gotten beaten on by zero sum conservative approaches in recent history. Basically, trying to steal a small victory from an otherwise defeat ends up undermining them when they try to go for bigger impact changes down the line.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
The danger here is the rhetoric should that bill backfire (which I think we could all see the potential issues arising). Those are the Dems whose names will be thrown out to show how they flip flop on the issue and don't actually care about gun control, etc. You know the drill. It's a double-edged sword and the small victories strategies have gotten beaten on by zero sum conservative approaches in recent history. Basically, trying to steal a small victory from an otherwise defeat ends up undermining them when they try to go for bigger impact changes down the line.
I will say, I was not surprised by a single Democrat on that list.