patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
06.27_1920x1080.jpg

Super middleweight contender David Morrell will square off against Mario Cázares on June 27, Premier Boxing Champions (PBC) announced Friday morning.

The 12-round bout will take place at The Armory in Morrell’s adopted hometown of Minneapolis, Minnesota, and will headline a three-bout “FOX PBC Fight Night” telecast (FOX, 8 p.m. ET/ 5 p.m. PT).

The clash between Morrell and Cázares was finalized after reported discussions between Morrell and John Ryder, who is ranked No. 6 by The Ring at 168 pounds, took place. Instead, an intriguing clash between unbeaten 168-pounders was made official.

Morrell (4-0, 3 knockouts), who is originally from Santa Clara, Cuba, knocked out Mike Gavronski in his most recent bout, on December 26, in Los Angeles. His first professional fight took place in August of 2019 at The Armory, where he is again excited to fight before a live crowd.

“As always, I am grateful to my whole team for the opportunity to step into the ring once again at The Armory in Minneapolis,” said the 23-year-old Morrell. “This one is even more special to me because it’s my first title defense (Editor’s note: The WBA’s “regular” titles are unrecognized by The Ring) in front of my new home crowd in Minneapolis. I’m excited to feel the energy of the fans again and against a very good opponent. We’ve worked hard; now it’s time to have fun.”

Cázares (12-0, 5 KOs) most recently fought on September 25, in Tijuana, Mexico, not far from his hometown of Rosarito, defeating former middleweight titleholder Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. by technical decision. Cázares was outboxing Chavez before the bout was stopped in Round 6 after an accidental clash of heads produced a cut over Chavez’s left eye.

The 30-year-old will be fighting for the first time in the United States and, besides Chavez, has only faced one other fighter with a winning record. Cázares is confident he can pull off the upset victory.

“This fight is very important for my career,” said Cázares. “This kind of championship fight is what I’ve been working for. I definitely respect Cuban boxing and the style of Morrell. He’s someone with a lot of experience in the amateur field, who is now showing it in professional boxing but I love being the underdog and coming into my opponent’s hometown. The fans in Minneapolis and watching on FOX and FOX Deportes are going to be in for a surprise on June 27.”

Another fight featuring unbeaten prospects that could produce fireworks will support the Morrell-Cazares fight.

Cruiserweight Efetobor Apochi will square off against Brandon Glanton in a 10-round bout.

Apochi (11-0, 11 knockouts), who is originally from Orogun, Nigeria, and now resides in Houston, Texas, knocked out unbeaten prospect Deon Nicholson in Round 3 of his most recent bout, on April 17. The victory over Nicholson took place five months after the 33-year-old knocked out Joe Jones, also in Round 3.

Glanton (13-0, 11 KOs) mos recently fought on December 26, stopping Larry Pryor in the opening round, and has stopped seven of his last eight opponents. The 29-year-old, who is originally from Atlanta, Georgia, now resides in Riverside, California, where he is trained by Robert Garcia.

In the opening bout of the FOX telecast, unbeaten junior welterweight Omar Juarez (11-0, 5 KOs), of Brownsville, Texas, will face hard-hitting All Rivera (21-5, 18 KOs), of the Philippines, in a 10-round bout.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio

David Morrell vs. Mario Cazares - Undercard Information
atif-oberlton.jpg

BY RANDOM HITS
Published Mon Jun 21, 2021, 05:15 PM EDT

Unbeaten super welterweight prospect Leon Lawson will battle hard-hitting Nathaniel Gallimore in a 10-round showdown that headlines FS1 PBC Fight Night and on FOX Deportes Sunday, June 27 from The Armory in Minneapolis.

FS1 PBC Fight Night begins at 6 p.m. ET/3 p.m. PT and will feature unbeaten light heavyweight prospect Atif Oberlton taking on Jasper McCargo in an eight-round bout, and undefeated super welterweight prospect Travon Marshall in a four-round contest against Ruben Torres.

The FS1 telecast will precede FOX PBC Fight Night which begins at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT and is headlined by unbeaten WBA Super Middleweight Champion David O. Morrell Jr. taking on undefeated contender Mario Cazares.

Tickets for the event, which is promoted by TGB Promotions and Warriors Boxing, are on sale now and can be purchased at The Armory at The Armory in Minneapolis and through Ticketmaster.

A towering six-foot, five-inch super welterweight, Lawson (14-0, 7 KOs) will face the toughest test of his young career against Gallimore. The 21-year-old most recently knocked out Ramal Amanov in the fourth-round of their February showdown, making it three-straight knockout victories for Lawson. A native of Flint, Michigan, Lawson is the cousin of two-time champion Anthony Dirrell and longtime contender Andre Dirrell. He will be making his third career appearance at The Armory in Minneapolis, after scoring victories there in 2018 and 2019.

Gallimore (21-5-1, 17 KOs) has made a name for himself challenging the best fighters at 154-pounds and using his power and skill to present stiff competition. The 33-year-old owns a stoppage victory over former unified champion Jeison Rosario, and has also faced former unified champion Julian Williams, former champion Patrick Teixeira, and top contenders Erickson Lubin and Sebastian Fundora. Born in Kingston, Jamaica, Gallimore has fought out of Chicago as a pro.

Oberlton (1-0, 1 KO) made his pro debut in January as the 22-year-old stopped Nathan Sharp in the third round, before most recently knocking out Larry Pryor in May. Representing the fighter-rich city of Philadelphia, Oberlton won the 2018 and 2016 National Golden Gloves tournaments and reached the finals of the 2018 U.S. National Championships prior to turning pro. He will be taking on the Monterey, California native McCargo (4-1-2, 2 KOs), who most recently fought to a majority draw against Josh Hernandez in February of 2020. The 34-year-old turned pro in 2016 and was unbeaten in his first four bouts.

The 20-year-old Marshall (1-0, 1 KO) turned pro on April 20 after an impressive amateur career, and delivered a quick first-round knockout of Christian Marron on FS1. Marshall was born in Landover, Maryland and now resides in Capitol Heights, Maryland as he prepares to take on the 30-year-old Torres (4-1, 1 KO). A native of Sacramento, California, Torres won a unanimous decision over Donnis Reed in February 2020 in his last outing.

In non-televised undercard attractions, a pair of Twin Cities natives will step into the ring in separate showdowns as Minneapolis fan-favorite VeShawn Owens (11-2, 10 KOs) fights at The Armory for the fourth-time in a six-round super lightweight contest, while St. Paul’s Joe James (8-0, 5 KOs) puts his undefeated record on the line in a six-round welterweight attraction. Plus, 19-year-old prospect Angel Chavez (3-0, 3 KOs) will make his U.S. debut in a four-round non-televised attraction.