6 Baltimore schools, no students proficient in state tests

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
BALTIMORE (WBFF) -- A Project Baltimore investigation has found five Baltimore City high schools and one middle school do not have a single student proficient in the state tested subjects of math and English.

We sat down with a teen who attends one of those schools and has overcome incredible challenges to find success.

Navon Warren grew up in West Baltimore. He was three months old when his father was shot to death. Before his 18th birthday, he would lose two uncles and a classmate, all gunned down on the streets of Baltimore.

“I’ve lost a lot of people, so I’m used to it. It hurts,” Warren said. “I just chose not to show it. I just keep it in. You just have to live on and keep going on every day. You have to do it somehow.”

Despite his tremendous loss, Warren is set to graduate this year from Frederick Douglass High School. It’s a school where only half the students graduate and just a few dozen will go to college. Last year, not one student scored proficient in any state testing.

“That’s absurd to me. That’s absurd to me,” says Warren’s mother Janel Nelson. “That’s your teachers report card, ultimately.”

Project Baltimore found Frederick Douglass is not alone. Four other city high schools and one middle school also have zero students proficient.

The schools are:

• Booker T. Washington Middle School
  • Frederick Douglass High School
  • Achievement Academy at Harbor City
  • New Era Academy
  • Excel Academy at Francis M. Wood High
  • New Hope Academy

High school students are tested by the state in math and English. Their scores place them in one of five categories – a four or five is considered proficient and one through three are not. At Frederick Douglass, 185 students took the state math test last year and 89 percent fell into the lowest level. Just one student approached expectations and scored a three.

Despite the challenges at his school, Warren found a path to higher education. He’s the reigning Baltimore City 50 and 100 freestyle champion who competed at the junior Olympics, finishing in fourth place. In the fall, he will leave the streets of Baltimore and head to Bethany College in West Virginia, where he will swim.

“It’s exciting for him to get out of the city and exciting for him to start a new chapter in his life,” says Nelson.

Warren told FOX45, he believes zero students are proficient at Frederick Douglass, because the state tests are more advanced than what the students are learning in class.

6 Baltimore schools, no students proficient in state tests

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
the content of this article combined with the name of two of those schools makes me sad.

Dammit man, I'm so desensitized that I just ran over those names until you said something. That just made it worse. :mjcry:

Nothing is going to change until the people involved realized that EVERYTHING has to change. Yes, it starts in the home, but that ain't no simple shyt - it's about prisons and policing and welfare reform and role models and community solidarity and everything. And in the schools, the teachers AND the resources AND the administration AND the methodology all need a crazy workover.

That ain't saying that it's too tough, or that it shouldn't be the country's #1 priority. But too many people on the top coming in with simplistic solutions or political solutions. This is a much bigger problem than the political shyt.

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
That's so sad. Salute to the kid that's headed to college

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
@BmoreGorilla you familiar with any of these schools fam?
Oh yea. My little cousin is just about to finish his junior year at New Era Academy. Frederick Douglas has been up there with the worst high schools my entire life. Its one of the oldest high schools in the city and was the school all black residents on the west side went to. Theres a lot of history in that school. There was an HBO documentary on them. Those were the main students who were throwing rocks at the police that sparked off the riots

Copy Ninja

Superstar
Daps
Dammit man, I'm so desensitized that I just ran over those names until you said something. That just made it worse. :mjcry:

Nothing is going to change until the people involved realized that EVERYTHING has to change. Yes, it starts in the home, but that ain't no simple shyt - it's about prisons and policing and welfare reform and role models and community solidarity and everything. And in the schools, the teachers AND the resources AND the administration AND the methodology all need a crazy workover.

That ain't saying that it's too tough, or that it shouldn't be the country's #1 priority. But too many people on the top coming in with simplistic solutions or political solutions. This is a much bigger problem than the political shyt.

Breh, it's the kids and parents that need to take it upon themselves to make education a priority. The teachers can only do so much. My wife teaches in Anne Arundel County just outside of Baltimore. She has a mix of students who are great and students who don't give a fukk.

The kids who are doing great are kids who take education seriously or have parents who are very involved. The kids who are failing just don't give a fukk and she never sees their parents at any of the parent/teacher conferences.

Yeah there are awful teachers, but majority of them go into the profession because they have a passion for teaching and really want to help. It's not like they go in there to make money:francis:

Becoming a teacher ain't that easy. Most counties require a Masters degree, plus you need to be certified on the subject you will be teaching in. No one is trying to spend all that time and money in school to make a shyt salary unless you have a passion for it.

Teachers get no respect in our society:mjcry:

I make twice as much in IT :win: and I don't work nearly as hard as my wife :krs:

Wife -- I'll be upstairs grading and getting lessons ready for tomorrow:shaq2:
Me -- I'm going to be in the family room (smokes a bowl, plays Overwatch for 3 hours):banderas: