7/17 PBC on SHO: Jermell Charlo vs Brian Castaño (WBC/WBA/IBF/WBO Super Welterweight Titles)

Who Wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
I was going to bet Jermell Charlo but then you brought up how good Brian Castano was an amateur. You were right. He did beat Spence and Devrenchenko. My question is how much do you think amateur success translates to pro success?

Bread’s Response: I would say 75% of the time it has a bearing. Usually the best amateurs are the best pros. Over the last 10 years it hasn’t been the case as much but it still relevant. Let’s look back. People consider Sugar Ray Robinson the best fighter ever. The Olympics weren’t as big in boxing in the 1940s. But Robinson was either 85-2 or 85-0 as an amateur.

Floyd Patterson was a great amateur. Our best in 1952. And he was one of our best fighters of the 50s. Muhammad Ali was our best amateur in 1960. Well it’s no need to get into what he was as a pro. Joe Frazier was our best amateur in 1964. We also know what he was as a pro. George Foreman was our best amateur in 1968. Again HOF as a pro. In 3 straight Olympics the Gold Medalist and the US’s best fighter turned out to be a HOF.

In 1976 we produced 5 Gold Medalist. 3 won titles. 2 became ATG in Michael Spinks and Ray Leonard. In 1980 Donald Curry was best amateur. He went on to be a HOF. In 1984 Evander Holyfield, Frank Tate, Pernell Whitaker, Meldrick Taylor, Mark Breland and Virgil Hill were medalist and turned out to be champions and or HOF as pros. In 1988 Roy Jones, Riddikk Bowe, Michael Carbajal and Ray Mercer all medalist all turned out to be champions. Carbajal, Jones and Bowe HOF. In 1992 Oscar de La Hoya was our best amateur. HOF as a pro.

In 1996 Floyd Mayweather, Antonio Tarver, David Reid all won medals. All win titles as pros. 2004 we had one Gold Medalist. Andre Ward. HOF as a pro. 2008 Gary Russell, Demetrius Andrade and Deontay Wilder were the best fighters on the Olympic team. They still remain towards the top of their games today. In almost 100 fights as pros they have 2 losses.

In 2012 Errol Spence was the best fighter on that team. He’s still the best from the team.

In 2016 Shakur Stevenson, Gary Russell and Charles Conwell were the standouts. None of them have taken a loss yet. Stevenson the only medalist is the best so far as a pro.

Historically domestically and internationally the very best amateurs have about 75% of the time been our best pros. You do have cases like Terence Crawford who was around the 2008 team. He’s our best fighter overall from that time. You have cases of fighters like Canelo Alvarez, Manny Pacquiao and Julio Cesar Chavez who were the #1 P4P fighters that didn’t have distinguished amateur careers. But that’s because they weren’t exposed. With Pacquiao’s style he would have been an unbelievable amateur. He just didn’t have the exposure. Amateur doesn’t mean everyTHING. But it does mean someTHING.

Lately we have had excellent fighters like Jarrett Hurd, Charlo bros and David Benavidez have better pro careers than many fighters who turned pro at a similar time who were better amateurs. But again 75% of the time, the better amateur is usually the better pro. In the other 25% of the time, it’s usually because of late blooming physical maturity. Or exposure to an elite trainer. The better amateur will usually have more reflexive ability. He will usually be able to score points better. He will also be able to process slightly faster. The same goes for some of the better international amateurs. Rigondeaux, Lara, Loma, Usyk, Beterbiev, GGG….

When I see a US fighter ascend to really high heights that never won at least one national tournament and was not a highly decorated amateur it really impresses me. It lets me know he had elite training. He really put the work in. And he had will power to overcome his early outlook.

Jermell Charlo has already defeated Austin Trout and Erickson Lubin. Both were better amateurs than him. So obviously it doesn’t mean everything. But Castano can really score points. He has quick productive feet. He’s stronger than he looks. He’s very fluid. And he can box going forward. I repeat. Charlo deserves to be the favorite. He’s been performing at a high level since 2016. He’s been money in his title fights. But he doesn’t dominate as far as rounds scored. In his title win vs John Jackson, I saw him lose 6 out of 7 scored rounds. I saw Austin Trout win possible 6 rounds against him but the knockdowns were the difference. I saw Tony Harrison win at least half of the 22 scored rounds they fought. I saw Jeison Rosario win most of the rounds he wasn’t dropped in. Charlo is efficient. He knows what he wants to do. He wants to knock his opponents out. He moves in and out with a great set legs and he has elite timing. Charlo turned pro very early so he didn’t have a chance to really compete in open class. So maybe he would’ve been a great amateur. But I can only go by what happened not what would’ve happened.

This is a really close fight. I feel that if it goes the distance Castano has a great chance to win. But Charlo rarely lets fighters go the distance at the championship level. Only Austin Trout and Tony Harrison did. Harrison was stopped in the rematch and Trout was dropped twice. Castano is unknown so most will pick Charlo big. But I can’t help what I see. I still favor Charlo as of now but this fight is close. I wouldn’t bet big either way to be honest.

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps
Charlo reminds me of me....always on edge and cant relax for shyt.

I hope I dont continue to be like that once I touch the kind of money he has :mjcry:

Conscious Pilot

Do Better.
Daps
Reppin
Beaches and Palm Trees
These brothers along with Spence, Hurd, and Crawford are box office type draws I think the promoters are kind of lacking on the marketing tip.
Take out Hurd and put Ennis maybe a guy like Lubin in there and I’m with it.

Odd that this epilogue is both on Their Showtime Channel and PBC YouTube Channel. But good shyt, this deserves much needed buzz that it’s not getting right now.

Sbp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
Take out Hurd and put Ennis maybe a guy like Lubin in there and I’m with it.

Odd that this epilogue is both on Their Showtime Channel and PBC YouTube Channel. But good shyt, this deserves much needed buzz that it’s not getting right now.
I'm saying all of them are stars in boxing but I think they should have a bigger presence in pop culture. Nike commercials and shyt like that.

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
Charlo normally likes when an opponent has to come to him, he doesn't have to bother chasing him down where he's at his weakest instead he can exchange and counter with hard combos.

The reason this is still interesting is that Castano is probably his best opponent up to date and he is a pretty responsible fighter, doesn't just rush head first, he has a tight defense usually. Dude beat Derevyanchenko is WSB, should have beaten Lara imo and beat Soro too while he was less experienced as a pro.

He seems durable too and if it goes 12 he can outwork Charlo, but Charlo will have his windows to connect on him so it might be a Charlo KO again or a sort of decision win where he hurts Castano multiple times.
Charlo can be hit but he too has a good chin, probably he won't get knocked out here.

I'm favoring Charlo to win it but a Castano win wouldn't surprise me either