7 years experience...

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
As for the CCNA certification it’s a good beginner certification really. I’m looking for that middle ground certification between CompTIA security+ and the GIAC. I might swap it with the CompTIA CYSA+ honestly. I can see that certification being worth something soon.

As far as the Incident handler, I’m just following the roadmap (and I can get it for free).
The CCNA 200-301(R&S is retired) is a good beginner cert no matter what area of IT you're focusing on. The CyberOps and CIH are one side of the spectrum(Blue Team) and the Pentester certs on are the other end(Red Team). It's better to focus on one area, master it, and then move on another area. Just my opinion but it would be better to focus on area and then focus on learning about operating systems, scripting, and programming if possible. Just my opinion based on what I've seen in and around the industry.

Germms

All Star
Daps
Reppin
∞ 216 ∞
Why not just go the full 20 and get the retirement check every month..youre damn near at the half way mark

Not worth it to me. Not even the pension is worth it. People say do 20 years like it’s so easy. Yeah you can BS 20 years in the military but I’m not guaranteed to make rank or keep my pension (shyt happens). I’ll get a check the rest of my life with disability so I’m cool with that.

I got a lot of it and I was blessed to get in a field where I’m marketable, go to school, 3 deployments, stationed in Korea and Germany traveled to 19 countries all in a 6 year span, saved money/gained so much financial knowledge.. not much more I can ask for so I’m going to walk away while I’m good.

Germms

All Star
Daps
Reppin
∞ 216 ∞
Lol reading this thread is funny as hell considering I went a completely different route.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Project manager route. Taking the PSM 1 Scrum master certification soon.
Nice. I’m going for my PMP soon. I would really love to work in a PMO setting where you’re moreso creating project guidelines versus managing individual projects, but the PMP will get me there.

Germms

All Star
Daps
Reppin
∞ 216 ∞
Nice. I’m going for my PMP soon. I would really love to work in a PMO setting where you’re moreso creating project guidelines versus managing individual projects, but the PMP will get me there.
Hmm I like the way that sounds I might look into that.

Germms

All Star
Daps
Reppin
∞ 216 ∞
I went about this all wrong lol that first post was so cringe. Now that I’ve been in cybersecurity for a while the game is not what I thought it would be.

Bushmaster69

Superstar
Daps
I went about this all wrong lol that first post was so cringe. Now that I’ve been in cybersecurity for a while the game is not what I thought it would be.

Explain.

What did you do wrong? What did you do right?

Germms

All Star
Daps
Reppin
∞ 216 ∞
Explain.

What did you do wrong? What did you do right?

What I did wrong:

- Cert chase. Pointless. I know we talk about “6 certs” but it’s honestly pointless. Lol. Just my opinion. I only care about the 3 certs that really got me anywhere really. Security+, CISSP, CCNA.

- Go to school. Again my opinion but pointless. You’re better off getting an entry level position and going from there really. They didn’t even look at my degree lmao. shyt hurt.

- Scared to apply for jobs because I didn’t “fit” the requirements. This goes back to applying for entry level roles. They teach you everything once you get in that mug and it’s up to you.

What I did right:

- Applied to any and everything then fabricated the truth on my resume. I don’t recommend lying if you don’t understand the concept though. Like if you don’t know how to create a dashboard in splunk from scratch then don’t say you do or have. It’s pointless to lie about and you will get exposed once you work if not in the interview. That shyt will get you shot down real quick but if you can beef up something you have a bit of knowledge about you’re straight not gone lie. Created a lab at the crib and put that on my resume which leads to my next point.

- Doing at home labs/self study. I mean I thought that shyt was pointless but I built a Malware Analysis lab and now I’m interviewing for a reverse engineering role in my company I might get.

- It’s not what you know it’s who you know. Dead ass. LinkedIn got me where I need to go more than any little badge or certification did. Not only should you network but pester.

Bushmaster69

Superstar
Daps
What I did wrong:

- Cert chase. Pointless. I know we talk about “6 certs” but it’s honestly pointless. Lol. Just my opinion. I only care about the 3 certs that really got me anywhere really. Security+, CISSP, CCNA.

- Go to school. Again my opinion but pointless. You’re better off getting an entry level position and going from there really. They didn’t even look at my degree lmao. shyt hurt.

- Scared to apply for jobs because I didn’t “fit” the requirements. This goes back to applying for entry level roles. They teach you everything once you get in that mug and it’s up to you.

What I did right:

- Applied to any and everything then fabricated the truth on my resume. I don’t recommend lying if you don’t understand the concept though. Like if you don’t know how to create a dashboard in splunk from scratch then don’t say you do or have. It’s pointless to lie about and you will get exposed once you work if not in the interview. That shyt will get you shot down real quick but if you can beef up something you have a bit of knowledge about you’re straight not gone lie. Created a lab at the crib and put that on my resume which leads to my next point.

- Doing at home labs/self study. I mean I thought that shyt was pointless but I built a Malware Analysis lab and now I’m interviewing for a reverse engineering role in my company I might get.

- It’s not what you know it’s who you know. Dead ass. LinkedIn got me where I need to go more than any little badge or certification did. Not only should you network but pester.

I'm actually not in IT/Security, but I wanted to know this info for others in my life who are thinking about taking the same path.

Thanks Breh.