90s Black Sitcom Appreciation

m0rninggl0ry

All Star
Daps
The Royal Family

foxx-reese-royal-family-1991.jpg

Eddie Murphy wrote The Royal Family due to Foxx, Reese and Pryor playing the dozens on each other. It all started over an orange and Reese checked Foxx and Pryor jumped in and told Foxx don’t let a woman talk to you like that and Reese cursed Pryor out kind of similar to Harlem Nights. Reese didn’t mind the back and forth because they were all friends and they could do that to one another.
http:// https://youtu.be/5g5t3E-Xsi0

Major tension between Foxx and White producers, Shelley Jensen, David Garber & Mark McClafferty.

One of the producers was racists, not sure who created major drama for Fox. He would tell Redd Foxx how to be funny and how his best friends were black

One day, Entertainment Tonight did an interview with Foxx on set. One producer got mad, pulled him out of the interview to do one rehearsal walk. Foxx got so upset, he fell. Everyone thought it was a prank and asked Reese to get his wife and call the paramedics

The doctors announced Foxx death to his wife in the lobby and the producers were disrespectful while Mrs. Foxx was weeping and Della Reese went off on them and left the hospital

Reese said Jackée Harry was added to the cast as Victoria's younger sister Ruth, who moved in to help the family cope with Al's sudden death.

Moesha

rs_1024x759-151221110453-1024-moesha-countess-brandy.jpg

Former Moesha co-stars Brandy and Countess Vaughn have made amends after nearly two decades. In the April 1998 issue of VIBE, Brandy revealed in her cover story that she and Vaughn were not as close as their fictional characters Moesha and Kim would have one believe. The singer/actress revealed that Vaughn spewed some heated words her way.

“I think she’s very funny, very talented,” Brandy said. “I just feel like she wants to be in the position I’m in. People tell her, ‘You’re the reason why the show’s successful.’ And she’s told me that before. And she’s called me a b***h–to my face. She said, ‘I’m the reason why the show is successful, b***h.’ In front of a lot of people. And I looked at her like, Wow. I couldn’t say nothing about her because I wasn’t about to. She knows. She wakes up and looks at herself in the mirror and gets disgusted. I don’t."

Rumor was it over Ginuwine and Usher

In 2016, Brandy And Countess Vaughn made amends after nearly 20 years

A Different World

b910f2c3d601d35dab3e5d676a899754.jpg

The series originally centered on Denise Huxtable, from the Cosby Show and the life of students at Hillman College, a fictional historically Black college in Virginia. It was inspired by student life at Hampton University, Spelman College, and Howard University.

Lisa Bonet got married to Lenny with Zoe and she confided to Mrs. Allen about her pregnancy. Cosby was very protective over Bonet. Allen wanted to user her pregnancy on the show, ADW and Cosby thought it was taboo for an unwed, pregnant upper middle class Black woman in college

She liked the White character, the only White woman who went to a HBCU and they could pitching ideas about the other side of discrimination and Cosby said nah

Debbie felt because it was an HBCU it was buffoonery for students on the show take care of an eggThere needed to be more flavor, Cree Summer, Charnelle Brown, the BGLO, the gangs, the apartheid, sex, real life issues

Debbie Allen discusses "A Different World" dealing with sensitive subject matter - Clinton VS Bush, AIDS, Colorism, Domestic Violence, Persian Gulf War, Date Rape, Rodney King Uprising/ LA Riots.

She spilled the tea how White producers were pressed about the Rosanne looting in that episode. Allen said there were White looters not just Black and Latinos

@Ol' Otis @stomachlines @Bootzilla @Ask a Stupid Question @MoorMe @LovelyOne83 @BlackPearl The Empress @NormanConnors @Kane @Max Goonberg @Cat piss martini @Geoffrey_Chaucer @Diasporan Royalty @Beyoncé knowles-Carter @R.O. Double @Kid Dynamite

Last edited:

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Debbie did a different world justice and saved the show.

But I agree with Cosby.....that white girl needed to get the axe. We didn't need more pandering shyt.

But we all know if a different world came on now half the cast would be white and the theme song would be don't worry be happy with black folks grinning and smiling.

So on that note salute :salute:Cosby and Allen for creating a classic that you will never see again.

Apollo Kid

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Boom Bap Era

But I agree with Cosby.....that white girl needed to get the axe. We didn't need more pandering shyt.

But we all know if a different world came on now half the cast would be white and the theme song would be don't worry be happy with black folks grinning and smiling.

So on that note salute :salute:Cosby and Allen for creating a classic that you will never see again.

But they bought in another white character later on. Freddie's cousin who was crushin on Kim.

Travellin' Man

Veteran
Daps
Tea? I'm drinking water. :gucci:

That Royal Family show only lasted like 1 season if I remember correctly. I forgot all about that show.

Moesha > The Parkers. I never liked the Parkers except for seeing Paula Braxton and Jenna Von Oy on there. Countess was better when she was on Moesha and played a side character.

A Different World did get better once Debbie was in charge. She was able to keep it up with the times. shyt dealt with a lot of different topics and issues going on.

Y'all remember Up All Night w/ Patti Labelle, Morris Chestnut and Vivica Fox?

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps

Ay real shyt its one of my top 5 shows of all time...College was TOO close to how that show was lol

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit

That Royal Family show only lasted like 1 season if I remember correctly. I forgot all about that show.

Moesha > The Parkers. I never liked the Parkers except for seeing Paula Braxton and Jenna Von Oy on there. Countess was better when she was on Moesha and played a side character.

A Different World did get better once Debbie was in charge. She was able to keep it up with the times. shyt dealt with a lot of different topics and issues going on.

Y'all remember Up All Night w/ Patti Labelle, Morris Chestnut and Vivica Fox?
Up All Night, was a solid show. Prime Vivica:wow:

Kid Dynamite

aka The Big Bonanza aka The Ebony Prince
Supporter
Daps
I remember the Royal Family... I could never get into that show... I think larenz tate was on there but it felt like another generic sitcom. Same as that spinoff Redd had with Cal the fat white boy. They might have some episodes on YouTube, maybe my tastes have changed

m0rninggl0ry

All Star
Daps
Good thread, hate the word tea doe.

I'll put my homeboy in the walls of Jericho if he ever fixed his mouth to say "tea" :hhh:

Ha. Well find a synonymous word for Tea and I will change the title

Distilled water I suppose. The Parkers was funny. I liked Freestyle Unity music