A Political Quake in Turkey as Erdogan’s Party Loses in His Home Base of Support

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC

AK Party got 52% of the vote nationwide. So Erdogan is still formidable but there’s no doubt segments of his party are frustrated with him.

The Istanbul result has got to be ether. How could his party lose in his own city? It was the KURDS who make up 11% of the city. Their party the HDP made a great move to ally with the main opposition CHP in every province outside of the Kurdish stronghold in the southeast.

No wonder Erdogan painted his whole opposition as “terrorists”!

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
AK Party got 52% of the vote nationwide. So Erdogan is still formidable but there’s no doubt segments of his party are frustrated with him.

The Istanbul result has got to be ether. How could his party lose in his own city? It was the KURDS who make up 11% of the city. Their party the HDP made a great move to ally with the main opposition CHP in every province outside of the Kurdish stronghold in the southeast.

The opposition was finally able to coalesce behind one candidate for once, typically their support is fragmented. As well the AKP candidates were not popular. Yildrim doesnt have the same appeal as Erdogan. Itll be interesting to see if they ultimately accept the results.

rantanamo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How will the F-35 vs S400 play out? He playing both sides to sell info or have the leverage to beat both sides if possible?

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn

That's awful for a man like him.

He lost the capital Ankara as well I believe

Not looking good

He's a despot

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't follow Turkish politics much, but I thought I remember reading that after the "coup" attempt he got rid of thousands of people suspected of disloyalty in the military. Do you think he has control over the military? Despots rarely have time for democracy. d

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
I don't follow Turkish politics much, but I thought I remember reading that after the "coup" attempt he got rid of thousands of people suspected of disloyalty in the military. Do you think he has control over the military? Despots rarely have time for democracy. d

He has control of the military. He's also defanged it from the days when he was prime minister. So don't expect another coup.

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He has control of the military. He's also defanged it from the days when he was prime minister. So don't expect another coup.

I think the first one was manufactured. I asked just curious if the military would step in if he decided he wasn't going along with the results of elections that weaken his hold on power.

ROLLTIDE4EVER

Rookie
Daps

As long as he's feeding them, then he's safe.

It's all fun and games until massive inflation hits. Politicians never seem to grasp that.