A Possible Upside To The Trump Win?

Menelik II

I wanna see receipts!
Daps
In response to the new president’s stances on a range of issues, more scientists are preparing to run for political office.

For American science, the next four years look to be challenging. The newly inaugurated President Trump, and many of his Cabinet picks, have repeatedly cast doubt upon the reality of human-made climate change, questioned the repeatedly proven safety of vaccines. Since the inauguration, the administration has already frozen grants and contracts by the Environmental Protection Agency and gagged researchers at the US Department of Agriculture. Many scientists are asking themselves: What can I do?

And the answer from a newly formed group called 314 Action is: Get elected.

Thanks to Trump, Scientists Are Planning to Run for Office

Brosef

I respect O.G. knowledge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
:ehh:

Great idea but these days people without any college education think that they're smarter than scientists... look at all the idiots fighting against vaccines :beli:

Menelik II

I wanna see receipts!
Daps
:ehh:

Great idea but these days people without any college education think that they're smarter than scientists... look at all the idiots fighting against vaccines :beli:
:pachaha:yeah its crazy.

The only problem with this is it will be spun as a partisan thing, and that all scientists are democrat. And they will ignore that facts anyway.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? "

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I'd love for more people that aren't lawyers and/or businessmen to run for office, but I'm not optimistic.

At this point science itself is considered a liberal conspiracy so anything scientists say will be spun as "liberal media" and voters will eat it up.

无名的

Superstar
Daps
Good. Less old white lawyers, please. I'd love to see more rational people run, who would raise the level of discourse like scientists. We get the worst of the worst sociopaths because we're used to professional arguers who have the inability to admit wrongs and love to sling mud at each other by unearthing every horrific thing from an opponent's past, which deters reasonable people who aren't sociopaths from running, who don't want to embarrass themselves or their families.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
Good. Less old white lawyers, please. I'd love to see more rational people run, who would raise the level of discourse like scientists. We get the worst of the worst sociopaths because we're used to professional arguers who have the inability to admit wrongs and love to sling mud at each other by unearthing every horrific thing from an opponent's past, which deters reasonable people who aren't sociopaths from running, who don't want to embarrass themselves or their families.
I think a lot of people are either intimidated or flat out burnt out by "experts" as well, for good reason to some degree. Plus politics is largely a field that rewards personality over substance :francis:

Scientists are going to have to get better at selling their own value and connecting with people if they want to make inroads in the shytty world of politics. Politics is in no way a meritocracy as this past election demonstrated