A record low # of millennials think buying a home is a good investment

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Reminds me of the thread about the lady that bought a house and retired in Ghana. After you buy the land there it's yours. No property taxes......Will have to look into something similar for the future.

Right. if you're going to buy land, better be somewhere without property taxes or else you are essentially just renting from the government. When property taxes alone can be the same as renting a luxury apartment, it's no wonder people are avoiding houses. If I'm dropping $300,000 on something, I want it to be MINE and not just have the government pop up and take it because I'm not paying them every year.

Crayola Coyote

Superstar
Daps
We are broke! What part of we broke don't these people get lol? I can barely put gas in my car, fukk thinking about a 300k house. We not just being rebellious just because. I think any of us that had it in the bank would love to get a house. But every adult milestone is getting pushed back significantly for us millenials

THIS!!! a$$holes wants us to be in 40-100k college and housing debt. We all broke. THIS

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
There's hispanic families around me with I don't know how many families living in one house at a time. We've been programmed to think, I gotta have mine. What happened to working together to build??? It was never meant to be done alone. That's where a lot of people are going wrong.
Other people :mjpls: aren't doing it alone, just us, black millenials, to be specific.

Even if black ppl in the olden days didn't get inheritances, they still had job security, unions, health insurance, and wages in line with the economy. We just out here by ourselves floating around in the breeze and they got the nerve to stress us out about some bullshyt. Foh.

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
The first place you buy either gotta be dirt cheap in the hood, or in a hot market so that you can build equity and then flip into something you can pay off in 10 years. The worst case scenario in homeownership is the same as the worst case scenario in renting, so that's a bs line of reasoning unless you're living with your parents, which is what you should be doing if you're not owning anyway. The only advantage to renting is that you can move outta state easier.

I’m all for property ownership but you guys are coming in here with your rose colored glasses on acting like taking out a six figure loan with a bank is the best avenue in every single situation. NEWSLFASH: It isn’t. For one, the worst case scenario in a property you own is much worse than in an apartment. Not only is foreclosure worse than eviction but you as a propety owner have to pay water, all of the maintenance costs, and property tax in addition to the fact that the tax plan gutted a lot of the tax benefits for homeowners. So to just push owning a home like the end all be all 10 years after Americans lost a trillion in wealth is irresponsible in my opinion. I love the concept of having equity in a property but what’s even better than that is NO DEBT! Debt makes you a slave...if you work a 9-5 that you hate your ass ain’t going to jeapordize it if you got that 500k loan hanging over your head. You won’t even be able to get a better job with lesser pay BECAUSE THAT MORTGAGE GOT YO ASS BY THE BALLS/OVARIES.

RNS

My Own Lane
Supporter
Daps
Where in America is property taxes 100 dollars a month. I'm gonna wait to see where you got these numbers from :mjlol:

Y'all thought you hit it out the park with this one :mjlol: home I just purchased property tax is almost 1200 a month the irony

Varies from state to state. Where you at?. My property tax on my home in Tn is $1,000 a year.

wtfyomom

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It’s not a generationsl thing but real wages have been stagnant since the 70’s while the cost of everything has gone up significantly. So to pretend like American’s buying power is the same is ridiculous. We have a real issue in this country and the “millennials” are the ones feeling the affects of the anti-FDR/new deal policy that is all privatizing profits, socializing losses, spreading the empire, and reducing the power of the worker through union busting.

Owning property is not always the best move and to suggest that is to iust be a proselytizer for the banks. Renting may not provide equitity but it provides freedom and you can also do it while being debt free. When talking about property ownership you have to talk about both sides the positives but also about all the people that lost wealth in 2008 behind these greedy banks. What happens when we experience our next crash and you on the hook for 500k for a house worth 100k? Whose in a better situation then...you or a renter? Renter also has no property tax, no water bill, and no maintenance. It ain’t as black and white as people try to make it.
bruh people dont understand debt is the most important thing, even worse than renting is people that buy cars, i lease all my shyts, and cars depreciate soon as you drive it off the lot, such a myth that buying is auto better than leasing or renting. but its like everyone thinks their rich or smthg but yet stats show that clearly aint the case, muther fukkers wanna pretend and shyt

Paisley Darts

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Richmond, VA
luxury car sales are down way low :heh: mafukkas just post whatever on here

the most popular luxury models for each brand -- the higher end models (that the working class you describe cant afford anyway) are fine, but the entry models that the people you describe (using they mortgage money on cars) are way down

small luxury cars ($30-50k):
Mercedez C Class sales down 35%
BMW 3 series sales down 6.70%
BMW 4 series sales down 14.10%
Jaguar XE sales down 45.90%
Lexus IS sales down 7.40%
Lexus RC sales down 60.40%

mid size/mid priced expensive luxury cars ($40-100k)
Audi A6 sales down 24.90%
Audi A7 sales down 40.90%
Jaguar XF sales down 56.40%
Lexus ES sales down 2.60%
Maserati Ghibli sales down 24.30%

Only the BMW 5 series has sold good as far as flagship luxury cars

reality is, cost of goods has inflated way too high compared to salaries.. like we arent even close.. would need a reset button (again) to pretty much fix shyt at this point. This current economy is not sustainable long term.

yea a truly stupid response by @Forcible Entry

I guess you two don't understand what generalizing is, eh? Like you don't know people that live in an apartment but pushing a $40k car. My point was, a house usually appreciates, a car WILL depreciate. So if you are willing to spend decent money on a car but not a house, you are hustling backwards.

You can say what you want, post statistics etc but the fact still remains that real estate is how most people get wealthy. And it is clearly the better option when looking at the alternative of renting. One you can make money from, the other you wont make a dime from. I know everybody situation is different, but to shyt on home-ownership overall is silly.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Technically anything you own is an asset. A house is or should be an investment. I don’t know anyone who purchases a home and is okay with it depreciating or not cash flowing (rentals). I’m a millennial under 30 and my house has appreciated about 45% since I purchased it about 5 years ago. I would need a ton of capital to invest in stocks for a 420k return in 5 years. That’s a great investment.
You have a million dollar home? :gucci:
I don't think you're input is representative of any group of millenials :francis:

Shorty K

Banned
Supporter
Daps
I’m all for property ownership but you guys are coming in here with your rose colored glasses on acting like taking out a six figure loan with a bank is the best avenue in every single situation. NEWSLFASH: It isn’t. For one, the worst case scenario in a property you own is much worse than in an apartment. Not only is foreclosure worse than eviction but you as a propety owner have to pay water, all of the maintenance costs, and property tax in addition to the fact that the tax plan gutted a lot of the tax benefits for homeowners. So to just push owning a home like the end all be all 10 years after Americans lost a trillion in wealth is irresponsible in my opinion. I love the concept of having equity in a property but what’s even better than that is NO DEBT! Debt makes you a slave...if you work a 9-5 that you hate your ass ain’t going to jeapordize it if you got that 500k loan hanging over your head. You won’t even be able to get a better job with lesser pay BECAUSE THAT MORTGAGE GOT YO ASS BY THE BALLS/OVARIES.

1. What exactly is worse about a foreclosure than an eviction? They put you in the exact same position in life.

2. Get a condo in a nice building with good reserve funding and easy renting policies if you want a relatively low maintenance store of money.

3. Unless you're a traveling ass nikka, ownership will always beat renting. The worst case scenario, you lose everything and wind up with the same amount of money as a renter.

Last edited:

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Well the economy is different now and people are getting wiser. A house is not an investment. It's hardly an asset for most people. Assets are supposed to bring in money, not take it away like a house does. Even when you own your house outright, you gotta spend over $1000 a month in property taxes and other expenses. You're also supposed to be able to sell assets when you need to. You can sell that house, but then you'll just need to spend that money on another place to stay...
You don’t know what your talking about.

Bumblebreh

Collecting honey and money
Daps
Well the economy is different now and people are getting wiser. A house is not an investment. It's hardly an asset for most people. Assets are supposed to bring in money, not take it away like a house does. Even when you own your house outright, you gotta spend over $1000 a month in property taxes and other expenses. You're also supposed to be able to sell assets when you need to. You can sell that house, but then you'll just need to spend that money on another place to stay...

No an asset is something or an item of tangible value.A lot of properties owners net worth is tied into the value of their property.A family home is an investment that can be passed and the same can be said about rental property.