A study suggests that higher minimum wages hit poorer bosses’ pockets

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Then why do most small businesses pay higher wages and support higher minimum wage?

There are so many variables to this assertion but I know for a fact that.

Small businesses do not pay higher wages.

Have look at the compensation package of Boeing CEO or Adam Nueman or tech bros or scroll through the corporate directories.

rapbeats

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i aint read the study, but i know the city of emeryville has been dealing with a rash of small business closures due to rents + their high min wage and how they rolled it out over a short time. once again i feel our blanket liberal policies adversely affect small operators while justifiably trying to go after large corps (this is happening with rent control as well - small landlords being hurt by legislation meant to limit the greed of corp RE and large investors)

let's just find balance/nuance
first off you should not have waited on the government to tell you that you should be paying your employees a living wage. you want people to work for you so you can afford to pay rent, get a bite to eat, get your car fixed, have medical care, etc. but you dont expect your employees to have those same desires? you know the rent is too da... high nowadays. so why did you wait for the govvy to force this on you to begin with?

i'll say it again, if you're too broke to pay a living wage to your employees. you either have more employees then you actually need at the moment or you never could afford to be in business to begin with. this is an extreme example but the point is still accurate. if you have to pull a china with the child labor and paying them 10 cents an hour. you're not ready to open up a business. sorry. whatever you had going before the law kicked it in was a sham to begin with and the markets are now being corrected.

rapbeats

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Still no consensus… that's a bad look for the increase :francis:
no its not. there is a consensus. its correcting the market. its that simple. yes people will lose their businesses, and people will lose their slave wage jobs. as they both should. you should never be in business under paying people like that. and people should not be in a position where they FEEL they have to be underpaid in order to barely survive. Market...Correction my friend.

once the dust settles we will all be better off. just like any kind of correction there will be some soreness at first.

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
no its not. there is a consensus. its correcting the market. its that simple. yes people will lose their businesses, and people will lose their slave wage jobs. as they both should. you should never be in business under paying people like that. and people should not be in a position where they FEEL they have to be underpaid in order to barely survive. Market...Correction my friend.

once the dust settles we will all be better off. just like any kind of correction there will be some soreness at first.
Every article written thus far, states there is no consensus and your first line is there is a consensus…:pachaha:
We shouldn't get to invested into initiatives/ideas that we ignore the evidence. The results from the studies done, have cut both ways.

Anywho, I say its bad for the raise because benefits in my opinion, should be most apparent on the onset, before the cost of living adjust(increases).

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
Hearing how higher min wages would benefit small business makes me wonder why they aren't already paying these beneficial wages? Whats stopping small businesses from paying $20/hr if it increases production and reduces turnover?:patrice:
Seems more like a way to attack big business than something that actually benefits them as is being claimed...

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
There are so many variables to this assertion but I know for a fact that.

Small businesses do not pay higher wages.

Have look at the compensation package of Boeing CEO or Adam Nueman or tech bros or scroll through the corporate directories.

:snoop:

Please tell me you were playing dumb on purpose.

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
Hearing how higher min wages would benefit small business makes me wonder why they aren't already paying these beneficial wages? Whats stopping small businesses from paying $20/hr if it increases production and reduces turnover?:patrice:
Seems more like a way to attack big business than something that actually benefits them as is being claimed...

:sas1:

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Name another Liggins hot I'm just honest.
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
but There’s some strange notion that has bleeding hearts thinking being a McDonald’s cashier should be a $50k/yr job...

Very few people, if anyone at all, thinks that but you capitalist apologists will trot out such bullshyt with supreme confidence and wonder why no one takes your position seriously. You argue like cartoon supervillains.

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
yes, but this upholds white supremacy even more. 90% of people of color business owners have to pay their employees minimum wage bc they have less access to capital.

That's a white supremacy problem. And you can't have American style white supremacy without American style unadulterated Capitalism. Your logic states that wages should remain nearly stagnant because white supremacy exists.

Also, the vast majority of the workforce is underpaid for the jobs they do. But instead of demanding more for themselves, the worker who has been placated with a few capitalism trickle downs, will protest ferociously against $15 per hour for "low skilled" jobs.

I also find it humorous how everyone is an economist, laser focused on the Capitalistic bottom line, except when it comes to their paycheck.

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
Very few people, if anyone at all, thinks that but you capitalist apologists will trot out such bullshyt with supreme confidence and wonder why no one takes your position seriously. You argue like cartoon supervillains.
:usure:
A "living wage" in population dense states would absolutely be 40-50k...
living wage =/= $15/hr

For clarity: a living wage is defined by advocates as the minimum income necessary for a worker to meet their basic needs. This is not the same as a subsistence wage, which refers to a biological minimum. Needs are defined to include food, housing, and other essential needs such as clothing. The goal of a living wage is to allow a worker to afford a basic but decent standard of living through employment without government subsidies.

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
That's a white supremacy problem. And you can't have American style white supremacy without American style unadulterated Capitalism. Your logic states that wages should remain nearly stagnant because white supremacy exists.

Also, the vast majority of the workforce is underpaid for the jobs they do. But instead of demanding more for themselves, the worker who has been placated with a few capitalism trickle downs, will protest ferociously against $15 per hour for "low skilled" jobs.

I also find it humorous how everyone is an economist, laser focused on the Capitalistic bottom line, except when it comes to their paycheck.
It should trickle down, and the fact that it doesn't is a failure of the state.
Tax and redistribute.:ufdup:

Warren Moon

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

you seem to not be that familiar with the human equation.

So are you anti capitalism?

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
:usure:
A "living wage" in population dense states would absolutely be 40-50k...
living wage =/= $15/hr

My point stands because $15 sounds like a decent starting point (it isn't) and it's palatable. If "the market" has created conditions where a basic living wage requires a middle class salary in certain areas then employers need to pay that wage or leave the region. I guess we should be advocating for a McDonald's cashier to be making 50k per year. If he is grossly underpaid, then it is likely your stupid ass is as well and should be advocating to get more instead of for someone else to get less. Anywhoodles....

Many minimum wage jobs are part time, meaning less than 40 hours per week. A full time employee making $15 per hour will gross 31,200 per year. A part time employee will average about 28 hours per week, which equals roughly $21,840 per year. I want you to understand that is what you are arguing against. You think that is too much. And I'm assuming by population dense you mean the east and west coasts. That range is actually pretty conservative if we consider those regions but we'll use it for the sake of argument.

You acknowledge a living wage in "dense" regions is between 40 and 50 thousand dollars per year. I have shown you that at $15 an hour, a minimum wage worker would gross at most 31,200 per year, ten to twenty thousand dollars below your own estimated range, and likely much less than that given the part time nature of many minimum wage jobs. And that is still too much in your opinion.

If an employer cannot afford to pay a living wage, then they should only be allowed to hire those who would least likely be affected by such a pitiful wage; teenagers.

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
So are you anti capitalism?

Not necessarily. But I do recognize even at it's best it's a terribly flawed system. And it's never been implemented at it's best. I'm definitely anti modern hyper-capitalism.

See, you all are under the impression that because you benefit (in a very small way, trust me) from this system that you should be loyal to and defend it. To that I say that it benefits black Americans to live in America so why aren't we all rabid, flag waving patriots? Oh right, because we understand that despite the benefits (which we earned by the way) this country has fukked us over, continues to fukk us over, and will do so for the foreseeable future. America is not great just by our virtue of being here instead of a supposed "worse" nation. Living in a capitalistic system does not make it great on the basis that it exists and that other systems might be "worse."

Warren Moon

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Not necessarily. But I do recognize even at it's best it's a terribly flawed system. And it's never been implemented at it's best. I'm definitely anti modern hyper-capitalism.

See, you all are under the impression that because you benefit (in a very small way, trust me) from this system that you should be loyal to and defend it. To that I say that it benefits black Americans to live in America so why aren't we all rabid, flag waving patriots? Oh right, because we understand that despite the benefits (which we earned by the way) this country has fukked us over, continues to fukk us over, and will do so for the foreseeable future. America is not great just by our virtue of being here instead of a supposed "worse" nation. Living in a capitalistic system does not make it great on the basis that it exists and that other systems might be "worse."

capalitism now atleast in America, pales in comparison to the first 125 years of capitalism in this country. Your ideas are coming from a place of privilege. Capitalism now is nowhere near what hyper capitalism is.

I’m not a pro capitalist either