A Tribe Called Quest First 3 albums Vs OutKast First 3 ALbums

Walt

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Normally even if I dont agree with the dude I can at least say he makes good arguments. But when it comes to Hip Hop and his southern affinity, his developed eltiism is just the worst. Its like fine if you prefer the south but spare me this perception. The funny thing is you could make a solid argument about Outkast.>>Tribe but that aint the way to do it.

I'm unfamiliar with his tastes/opinions on music. I never listened to his radio show, I know him from his sports punditry. I think he serves as a desperately needed counterbalance to the Steppin's A. Fetchs and Whitlocks of the world in that sphere. But this video was tough to watch precisely because of what you said... he makes such uninformed, weird points I had the
Scooby+Doo+huh.jpg
face half the time. To give Outkast credit over Tribe for taking hip hop into uncharted territory is like crediting a player who came a decade after Jackie Robinson for breaking the color barrier.

Tribe was one of the first groups to boldly take hip hop way left, and in doing so inspired a shed-load of subsequent groups by expanding notions of how boundless the genre really was. Tribe stepped beyond boastful raps, street tales, and formulaic anthems, and made songs about spontaneous road trips and midgets. Tribe pretty much reinvented the hip hop love song as something that didn't have to be sappy or over-the-top sexual to be cool and relevant. Tribe's sample-flipping was revolutionary at the time. Tribe made the most significant crossover up to that point - while maintaining credibility - to suburban kids. And not the type of crossover that plays to a backwards infatuation with blacks as minstrel characters or foulmouthed, aggressive caricatures of urban youth. They were one of the first groups that transcended as art. They're a major reason why groups like the Pharcyde had a space to exist, and further down the line, they certainly paved the way for albums like ATLiens and Aquemeni to have the critical and financial success they had.

To highlight Outkast's popularity is goofy - the market shifted and expanded, of course they sold more records. They had that sort of market because of groups like Tribe. It's like dismissing Thomas Edison because Steve Jobs killed the game during a completely different era, which Edison paved the way for.

Years and years ago I stopped being able to converse with certain cats back home in New York because their notions of hip hop became so narrow and represented a pigheaded, militant ignorance that masked itself as elitism. One of the breaking points for me was the refusal of a lot of dudes I knew to acknowledge how dope groups like Outkast were when they came out. ATLiens is, for me, a perfect album. Outkast is one of my favorite groups ever. The funny thing is that as other areas have finally gotten their legs under them, forged their own histories and cultures in hip hop, they've succumbed to the same sort of pseudo-nationalistic spell that New Yorkers suffered from. Context, history, all that shyt is irrelevant to them. They ride for their guys, and use specious reasoning to denigrate whomever someone dares to compare to their guys.

I can't imagine anyone dismissing either group as clearly inferior without the person being a stan or having some weird agenda.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I just really thought of the levels to this shyt...
  • Tip being considered >>>> Phife
  • Dre being considered >>> big
  • They both have subject matter spanning women, black consciousness, a little gangsta/street
  • Both had deipfinitive sounds
  • Dungeon family vs native tongues
I'm still not voting

Last edited:

god shamgod

Veteran
Daps
Tribe called quest easily.Low end theory and midnight marauders are better than any album outkast ever made Aquemini is wakk

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
god shamgod said:
Tribe called quest easily.Low end theory and midnight marauders are better than any album outkast ever made Aquemini is wakk

:ufdup:

This is the fourth time I've actually wanted to slap the shyt outta somebody through the Internet.​