A way more interesting thread, true feelings on Breaking Bad final episode

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
I thought it was dope as a finale.

By that point we knew Walt was an evil genius. Dude was behind a shyt load of madnes when he was just living a regular ass life. He was always going to cook up some god level fukkery sitting in a cabin by himself, slowly dying, mad as fukk that Nazis stole his money, Grey Matter distancing themselves from him and that feeling that he'd done all that dirt for nothing.

For a man who robbed a train in minutes, magnetized a police station, cooked 99% pure meth, had ten prisoners killed in three prisons in a two minute window and poisoned a kid, making a jack in the box gun and poisoning a goofy White chick was light work. :yeshrug:

• Dap
Reactions: hex

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
It was dope, but I agree with a lot of things being said here. It did feel a bit fanfic-y. If it would've ended as a fevre dream Walt had before dying it would've made total sense.

smoove157

Never Ever
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
The Shield betrayed Vic's character by not having him attempt to warn Ronnie in some way. Vic was alot things, be he wasn't a snake in that way. He would've put himself at risk in an attempt to warn Ronnie.

this is for another thread, but part of the plea deal he took had a part in it for his wife.

no shot he was gonna do that corrine, if he woulda warned Ronnie, they woulda pulled the deal

FrederickDouglas

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm a writer and I feel like Breaking Bad ended perfectly. The show was dark enough as it is. Walter HAPPENS to encounter Donald Margalos at a bar, where they just HAPPEN to have a conversation that just HAPPENS to make Walt feel he shouldn't give up on Jesse, making him go back to Jesse's, and in an attempt to wake him up, just HAPPENS to knock Jane on her back, resulting in a death by overdose that could have been prevented but Walter just HAPPENED to let her die (I understand his motivations for that, but don't justify them). Jane JUST HAPPENS to be Donald's daughter, who JUST HAPPENS to be an air traffic controller, who JUST HAPPENS to be so distraught over the death of his daughter that he inadvertently causes a plane crash which kills 167 people, men, women, and children. All of this unrealistic shyt JUST HAPPENED to provide the darkest possible outcome for that particular storyline. It was an unrealistic set of circumstances.I didn't mind at all. It was compelling. So why should I care about some unrealistic shyt happening that results in a satisfying "fanservice" conclusion? Personally, I feel like the series finale was more realistic than all of that shyt toward the end of season 2. I like dark stories, but I don't feel like stories should be dark just FOR THE SAKE of being dark. I'm going to check out that screenwriting thread to see where ya'll minds are at. If I want to see dark shyt that happens for no good reason, I'll just turn on the news (not to say that I mind dark shyt happening for no reason in fiction, because that's realistic).

But you run the risk of Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy, trying to make it as gritty and realistic as possible.

Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy - TV Tropes

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I'm a writer and I feel like Breaking Bad ended perfectly. The show was dark enough as it is. Walter HAPPENS to encounter Donald Margalos at a bar, where they just HAPPEN to have a conversation that just HAPPENS to make Walt feel he shouldn't give up on Jesse, making him go back to Jesse's, and in an attempt to wake him up, just HAPPENS to knock Jane on her back, resulting in a death by overdose that could have been prevented but Walter just HAPPENED to let her die (I understand his motivations for that, but don't justify them). Jane JUST HAPPENS to be Donald's daughter, who JUST HAPPENS to be an air traffic controller, who JUST HAPPENS to be so distraught over the death of his daughter that he inadvertently causes a plane crash which kills 167 people, men, women, and children. All of this unrealistic shyt JUST HAPPENED to provide the darkest possible outcome for that particular storyline. It was an unrealistic set of circumstances.I didn't mind at all. It was compelling. So why should I care about some unrealistic shyt happening that results in a satisfying "fanservice" conclusion? Personally, I feel like the series finale was more realistic than all of that shyt toward the end of season 2. I like dark stories, but I don't feel like stories should be dark just FOR THE SAKE of being dark. I'm going to check out that screenwriting thread to see where ya'll minds are at. If I want to see dark shyt that happens for no good reason, I'll just turn on the news (not to say that I mind dark shyt happening for no reason in fiction, because that's realistic).

But you run the risk of Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy, trying to make it as gritty and realistic as possible.

Thank you.

I tried to tell cats this 5 years ago:

https://www.thecoli.com/posts/9183851/

There is no burden on fiction to be realistic, regardless of whether or not the setting is. Nobody ever said "eh, Franz Kafka's 'Metamorphosis' would be a cool story about a struggling middle class family if the protagonist hadn't turned into a monstrous insect"....which is never even explained, it's just randomly dropped into the story.

No one ever said "eh, 'The Tell-Tale Heart' by Poe was some cool shyt up until the killer heard his victim's heart beating beneath the floor boards".

Yet both of these are considered high water marks in literature.

In the Golden Age of TV people call these heavily serialized dramas "the visual novel". But I disagree, because nobody places these arbitrary boundaries on novels. Nobody says John Grisham is a better author than H.P. Lovecraft, because his shyt is more realistic. Realism isn't even a subject, because it's all fiction.

Anyway, "BB" never sold itself as realistic. The premise is "a 50 year old high school chemistry teacher becomes a drug king pin". Season 1 he's blowing up dope houses with fulminated mercury, on some MacGuyver shyt. Earlier in the thread a guy was talking about, he's been in the streets and "Walt and Jesse would be dead"....no shyt. This ain't "the streets" though, it's a TV show that's going for over the top operatic moments, moreso than realism. Season 2 should've been a massive clue in that regard.

Season 2....where to even begin. The airplane shyt. Jesse falls in love with a druggie girl that blackmails Walt, who then watches her die, which causes her air traffic controller dad to collide two planes....precisely over Walt's house....and a pink teddy bear falls into his pool, which becomes a reoccurring symbol for death in the series.

No offense breh....but that wasn't a big ass clue the show wasn't remotely attempting realism? You'd win the lottery 10x in a row before events would unfold in that exact sequence.

Now, if you can't vibe with some unrealistic shyt, that's a different topic. And ultimately :manny:

But realism has never....literally never....been a yardstick for the quality of fiction. So why start now, with this TV show?

Fred

Fred.

My Girl is Bow Legged

JUST DO IT LIKE
Daps

tbh that air traffic controller storyline almost made me punch out of the show. the way that shyt played out made me feel like I was watching looney tunes

but it was also the reason I was fine with the ending. Yeah it was a little ridiculous but the show had been near that level of absurdity for awhile

Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
For the sake of argument the whole storyline is based on shyt just happens. Walt just happened to have a DEA agent as a brother in law. Tuco just happened to be cousins to the twins. A kid on a dirt bike just happened to show up after the biggest train heist ever etc. That doesn't explain away the safe ending.

And this show is not based on realism, walt and Jesse would be food to the real cartel. I was referring to the universe the writers created. Knowing that he wanted Skyler to kill herself but writers talked him out of it because Americans would lose their shyt makes sense to me. It honestly fits the storyline better. And maybe you guys should re watch this to see how dark this show truly is :russ: