AD: "In season tournament $500K Prize is a motivating factor"

2legit

All Star
Daps
Los Angeles Lakers big man Anthony Davis was open about one of the draws to winning the NBA's In-Season Tournament. Davis said the prize money is the lure for a lot of the players.

"$500 [thousand] sounds real good to us. It’s going to bring that juice, you know what I mean? … I heard one of our players, I’m not going to say who but he was like, ‘Man,’ when we beat Phoenix, ‘That’s one step closer to this $500. I’ve never had that before.’ So it’s like, that’s a little extra motivation," Davis said.

The players on the team that wins the NBA Cup will each get $500,000 in prize money. For players on a league minimum salary, that can range between nearly half of their yearly salary to one-quarter of it. The Lakers have five players signed to minimum contracts for this season.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
People talk about the bubble ring not being official and we supposed to believe that people care about an in-season tournament that is only paying the winners 500k

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
People talk about the bubble ring not being official and we supposed to believe that people care about an in-season tournament that is only paying the winners 500k

This is a bad comparison.

The Bubble was a one time thing. The in-season tournament is a permanent fixture that the league will be pushing heavy. Meaning that not just the $500K is a motivational factor but players legacies, team chemistry, etc.

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
Don’t know why people are trying down play $500k.
Sure it’s a lower % of some of these guys total salary and even game checks but it’s free money they can get for games they have to play anyway
The stars going be stars in terms of play but I can see rotation guys going harder for that money, that’s probably what AD was alluding to

Apprentice

everybody in the world needa lul tim
Daps
Reppin
DMV
This is a bad comparison.

The Bubble was a one time thing. The in-season tournament is a permanent fixture that the league will be pushing heavy. Meaning that not just the $500K is a motivational factor but players legacies, team chemistry, etc.
Lls who’s legacy is getting improved from the in season tournament?

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Like a half week salary for him, what a motivation!

If Silver only knew that 500k is what you need to motivate the least motivated player before :unimpressed:

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Lls who’s legacy is getting improved from the in season tournament?

It’s a new tradition so it’s not going to immediately carry prestige but I think it will grow to be more of thing over time

We’re already getting some great games with high intensity so if the final rounds end up having some epic games, it’ll raise the status of the tournament

I just don’t know why people are so against it. It’s 82 games in the season let them do some extra shyt to spice it up :yeshrug: We got players fighting when the score is 0-0 so obviously the tournament games are bringing a lil extra juice than the typical November regular season games we see all the time

Apprentice

everybody in the world needa lul tim
Daps
Reppin
DMV
It’s a new tradition so it’s not going to immediately carry prestige but I think it will grow to be more of thing over time

We’re already getting some great games with high intensity so if the final rounds end up having some epic games, it’ll raise the status of the tournament

I just don’t know why people are so against it. It’s 82 games in the season let them do some extra shyt to spice it up :yeshrug: We got players fighting when the score is 0-0 so obviously the tournament games are bringing a lil extra juice than the typical November regular season games we see all the time
I’m not against the tournament, I’m against the notion that it will improve someone’s legacy

Those nikkas were fighting cuz Warriors just got cooked by them a couple days ago and Steph wasn’t playing, I don’t think the Dubs care bout the tournament