UncleTomFord15

Veteran
Daps
Anansi is an African folktale character. He often takes the shape of a spider and is considered to be the spirit of all knowledge of stories. He is also one of the most important characters of West African and Caribbean folklore.

He is also known as Ananse, Kwaku Ananse, and Anancy; and in the southern United States he has evolved into Aunt Nancy. He is a spider, but often acts and appears as a man.

The Anansi tales originated from the Ashanti people of present-day Ghana. The word Ananse is Akan and means "spider". They later spread to other Akangroups and then to the West Indies, Suriname, Sierra Leone (where they were introduced by Jamaican Maroons) and the Netherlands Antilles. On Curaçao, Aruba, and Bonaire, he is known as Nanzi, and his wife as Shi Maria.

51C2rpKfClL._SX353_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
I used to read these as a boy :ohlawd: finna get this nikka tatted on me

Written in patois which I can bArely read tho:why:

Jamaica Anansi Stories Index
Been hearing my mother call spiders "Anasi" my whole life. Literally just now putting this together :wow:.

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1914–1983

Off-topic but I saw this and it reminded me of the mutual intelligibility between that Ghanaian and that Surinamese community mentioned in this thread.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps

Off-topic but I saw this and it reminded me of the mutual intelligibility between that Ghanaian and that Surinamese community mentioned in this thread.

Papiamento comes from Portuguese Spanish Dutch and African creoles like CV Krioulu