Afrobeat's Takeover: Rotimi's Number #1 Album, Walk With Me, on R&B Charts

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining

Ask this simple question.
Name another authentic African music generated album that has ever been #1 R&B album?? :lupe: :jbhmm:

I'm sure there have been some contenders.
  • The Afro-French group Les Nubians (Chadian) had a little bit of spin and probably charted decently, but most of the music was in French and there was no wider movement prior to it being released.
  • Sade's (Nigerian) Afro-British style and band played some African-lite music, but it was predominantly ambient smooth R&B music.
  • Seal (Nigerian) may have been on R&B charts, but was probably moreso on pop charts, where he had some juice for a minute.

However, Les Nubians, Sade, and Seal were not part of some massive African music genre flood.
Afrobeat though is a wave ...shiit it's a tsunami right now, with even Black American artists doing singles and features, but this Rotimi Walk With Me album I believe is the start of other top selling complete Afrobeat albums that will fall into the R&B category and become normalized, until a separate Afrobeat category is recognized (at least in U.S. oriented charts).

I was in East Africa awhile back and the Afrobeat was potent. Charlamagne said it on Breakfast Club interview with Rotimi that he was feeling the Afrobeat more than he has ever felt reggae in general. He said it was the polyrythmic drums that had him in the audio vice grip.

Breh has a bright future in music and film. Watch for this cat to help bridge the gap in African diaspora film too I think.

Of course there is already a potent and fully engaged African Music thread for your enjoyment ... Official African Music Thread

Last edited:

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
This is because Tropical House, mass market Reggaeton , mass market Dancehall all kinda have the same vibe.

This is 16 to 23 year old Summer Time White girl club music now.:manny:

:yeshrug: If Drake is in the genre, it's safe to say, it has mass appeal and it is gonna sell.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
This is because Tropical House, mass market Reggaeton , mass market Dancehall all kinda have the same vibe.

This is 16 to 23 year old Summer Time White girl club music now.:manny:

:yeshrug: If Drake is in the genre, it's safe to say, it has mass appeal and it is gonna sell.
Nope

Afrobeat don't belong to no cacs in any capacity, talk about something you know. :mjlol:

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Don't know what Tropical House is and what it consists of and act like you know what you talking about.

Pretend Ed Sheeran didn't drop Shape of You and run the whole summer.

:mjlol:
I actually go outside do you? Afrobeat parties are not gentrified and neither is the music... STOP IT.

afrobeat and tropical house is NOT THE SAME SHYT. You talking bout that Justin bieber Major Lazer fushion pop trash.

What Ed Sheeran did and what has been going on in pop music for the longest is biting ACTUAL reggae and dancehall. Not even "tropical house"

I'm not sure who Ed Sheeran ran the summer for but it wasn't no Black people.. I'll tell you that much, that song is a joke and a parody :mjlol:

How can you be Black talking about Tropical house like it's a real genre? :dahell:

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
I actually go outside do you? Afrobeat parties are not gentrified and neither is the music... STOP IT.

afrobeat and tropical house is NOT THE SAME SHYT. You talking bout that Justin bieber Major Lazer fushion pop trash.

What Ed Sheeran did and what has been going on in pop music for the longest is biting ACTUAL reggae and dancehall. Not even "tropical house"

I'm not sure who Ed Sheeran ran the summer for but it wasn't no Black people.. I'll tell you that much, that song is a joke and a parody :mjlol:

How can you be Black talking about Tropical house like it's a real genre? :dahell:

Here's comes the typical coli militant defense now after not being able to read or comprehend the English language while being totally wrong, decides to double down on the militancy.

:mjlol: Do you bring your Asian and White girlfriends to your Afrobeat parties that you pretend to go to..:lolbron:

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
Last edited: