Raava

Staff member
Daps
I believe with this generation, with the focus on celebrity and social media the lines between age appropriate and fashion are more blurred. I also think the shows Girlfriends and Sex and the City

tumblr_mua5d0jbcn1qzc4cao1_500.jpg

girlfriends-style.jpg

tumblr_msmdmcndrw1qb7rhko1_500.png

ob_d1079b_satc318-dreamer1104-335.jpg

article-2018914-09BBA5A6000005DC-763_964x891.jpg

played a role as they pushed the boundaries of age and dress. When I was little it seemed to be more clear or strict lines, You could tell who was married, who was middle age, who was an "old lady" etc...Now not so much.

Is it because our culture is obsessed with youth? Is it because of medical advances and fitness give people the opprotunity to "look younger" longer? Could it be the definitions of what age is has changed, 30 is the new 20?

I have been throwing out clothes since college, going through my Closet like I wouldn't be caught dead in this anymore. But some of that was due to fashion changes or my since of style evolving. My mom and I always clashed over clothing. She is conservative, I...have different opinions. The older I get though I do question things. What are the Rules? F the rules? Is it, if you still got the body wear whatever you want? Should I see a 55 year old in a midriff? Do celebrities get a pass, "she can wear that because she is _______." ? Do you have pieces now you think you could wear forever? Does that only apply to classic style?

Example,this woman has to be at least in her 40s just because of her daughters ages. I love her and her fashion sense. She looks fabulous. Even if I don't always agree and sometimes it's out there. Some would say she pushes the envelope though. Yea sometimes but she is clearly not phased by what other define as age appropriate.

Opinions?

Last edited:

ExpensiveThrillz

Head In The Cloudz
Daps
Reppin
The Free & The Uplifted
i love fashion and think its an amazing way to be expressive and to connect with how you identify with yourself inside by allowing you to show it on the outside. i think social restrictions on people's appearance are silly and damaging provided that some sensitivity is paid to appropriateness of the company you're in or the time of day. seeing a topless woman at the grocery store with my children is offensive because of the location and the crowd but seeing a topless woman at the beach would make me just think she's free and comfy w/ her body.

i love fashion killas of any age...especially older ladies that slay. its a rad way to say fukk you to the notion that beauty (especially for women) has some kind of shelf life.

Last edited:

Rusty Kuntz

It be ya own peoples, huh?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Myself. fukk 12(1)!
My thoughts about "age appropriate" clothing is this: if that person is grown and they are buying it with coins that they've earned, then they can wear whatever the hell they want. I may not like it, but then, I don't have to like it. Their style doesn't effect me and what they choose to show (or not show) is their business.

The idea of telling some grown ass person that they are "too old" to wear something is ridiculous to me.

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
When you look young (people genuinely think I'm 10 years my junior :wtb:) you can get away with more. I think I've become less conservative as I've grown older, because my confidence went up cause I feel like a woman now. It's funny though because I just don't give a shyt, 90% of the time I'm in skinny jeans, a hoody, and some Air forces.

And no bra :skip:

My mom always calls me a slob for that, that I should dress like a lady. Personally though, I just think that if you're old enough to buy your own shyt, it ain't no age appropriateness. The lines are pretty much blurred these days anyway.

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
The only age appropriate fashion rules I have is for children. I feel like they shouldn't be in a rush to grow up because your are only a child for that short amount of time.

So if you are a little girl, wear tutus and bright colors and colorful hair. Have fun with it because you don't have a job and have to worry about presentation.

These little girls out here dressing like they're grown and end up having grown men sniffing behind them.

If you're grown, you can do whatever you want. I just want kids to be kids.

Raava

Staff member
Daps
i love fashion and think its an amazing way to be expressive and to connect with how you identify with yourself inside by allowing you to show it on the outside. i think social restrictions on people's appearance are silly and damaging provided that some sensitivity is paid to appropriateness of the company you're in or the time of day. seeing a topless woman at the grocery store with my children is offensive because of the location and the crowd but seeing a topless woman at the beach would make me just think she's free and comfy w/ her body.

i love fashion killas of any age...especially older ladies that slay. its a rad way to say fukk you to the notion that beauty (especially for women) has some time of shelf life.

I agree with this basically my thoughts in it. I don't think people should conform to what others think but there is a time and place for everything. I don't plan to let what someone else thinks define my dress I think I do a good job of balance and forget those who don't.

My thoughts about "age appropriate" clothing is this: if that person is grown and they are buying it with coins that they've earned, then they can wear whatever the hell they want. I may not like it, but then, I don't have to like it. Their style doesn't effect me and what they choose to show (or not show) is their business.

The idea of telling some grown ass person that they are "too old" to wear something is ridiculous to me.

I agree, even though the thought is ridiculous, many people do. But like I said I think the lines have blurred and a lot more is accepted. Dress is more accepted as an expression vs. rules to follow. More women are doing what they want and dressing how they feel regardless of age.

When you look young (people genuinely think I'm 10 years my junior :wtb:) you can get away with more. I think I've become less conservative as I've grown older, because my confidence went up cause I feel like a woman now. It's funny though because I just don't give a shyt, 90% of the time I'm in skinny jeans, a hoody, and some Air forces.

And no bra :skip:

My mom always calls me a slob for that, that I should dress like a lady. Personally though, I just think that if you're old enough to buy your own shyt, it ain't no age appropriateness. The lines are pretty much blurred these days anyway.

This is definitely true, looking younger. Depending on how I dress I get different reactions people always assume I am younger but when I where kicks, and tees or sweats they assume I'm way younger. And Moms :rolleyes: I used to argue with my mom about sleeveless shirts and timbs. I mix girly/androgyny I have some male pieces that I wear with heels and whatever, hats etc... I switch it up. :comeon: wear some more dressed :lolbron:

The only age appropriate fashion rules I have is for children. I feel like they shouldn't be in a rush to grow up because your are only a child for that short amount of time.

So if you are a little girl, wear tutus and bright colors and colorful hair. Have fun with it because you don't have a job and have to worry about presentation.

These little girls out here dressing like they're grown and end up having grown men sniffing behind them.

If you're grown, you can do whatever you want. I just want kids to be kids.

Agree with this too. So Cinna what do you think about these instagram kids fashion:

IMG_1962.jpg

fashion-kid-9.jpg

xb5AByTa1fI.jpg

nori-kim-walk-curb.jpg

ercz4o-l-c680x680-pants-leather+jacket-fashion-leather+pants-boys-hat-fedora-swag-fashion+kids-kids+fashion-baby+clothing.jpg

Screen-Shot-2013-10-02-at-7.35.25-AM.png

Too much :patrice: or Adorable :gladbron:

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
I agree with this basically my thoughts in it. I don't think people should conform to what others think but there is a time and place for everything. I don't plan to let what someone else thinks define my dress I think I do a good job of balance and forget those who don't.

I agree, even though the thought is ridiculous, many people do. But like I said I think the lines have blurred and a lot more is accepted. Dress is more accepted as an expression vs. rules to follow. More women are doing what they want and dressing how they feel regardless of age.

This is definitely true, looking younger. Depending on how I dress I get different reactions people always assume I am younger but when I where kicks, and tees or sweats they assume I'm way younger. And Moms :rolleyes: I used to argue with my mom about sleeveless shirts and timbs. I mix girly/androgyny I have some male pieces that I wear with heels and whatever, hats etc... I switch it up. :comeon: wear some more dressed :lolbron:

Agree with this too. So Cinna what do you think about these instagram kids fashion:

IMG_1962.jpg

fashion-kid-9.jpg

xb5AByTa1fI.jpg

nori-kim-walk-curb.jpg

ercz4o-l-c680x680-pants-leather+jacket-fashion-leather+pants-boys-hat-fedora-swag-fashion+kids-kids+fashion-baby+clothing.jpg

Screen-Shot-2013-10-02-at-7.35.25-AM.png

Too much :patrice: or Adorable :gladbron:
I'll admit some of the little boys look adorable, and some of the little girls look too grown. That last pic of the little boy with the sleeveless shirt looks too grown to me too for some reason.

What happened to play clothes? It's one thing to be dressed up for church or something but if you dress them up like this, how can you be mad when they spill fruit punch on their shirt, lose their hat or get grass stains on their pants?

Question: is that first little girl wearing makeup? :patrice: I can't!

I kind of think it's the parents trying to live vicariously through their kids or treating them as dolls instead of children.

Again, I also think we have to be careful with our kids, because clothes do send a message.

Raava

Staff member
Daps
I'll admit some of the little boys look adorable, and some of the little girls look too grown. That last pic of the little boy with the sleeveless shirt looks too grown to me too for some reason.

What happened to play clothes? It's one thing to be dressed up for church or something but if you dress them up like this, how can you be mad when they spill fruit punch on their shirt, lose their hat or get grass stains on their pants?

Question: is that first little girl wearing makeup? :patrice: I can't!

I kind of think it's the parents trying to live vicariously through their kids or treating them as dolls instead of children.

Again, I also think we have to be careful with our kids, because clothes do send a message.

Basically what I think, its cute but I think its too much some of the little girls do look to grown and yes she has on make up :snoop:

I was at a picnic and all the little boys were playing in the sand. This one little boy came he was dressed nice, he started playing too. His mother yelled at him about getting his clothes dirty and made him get out the sand. :what: why did you bring him to the park in that?

You have to let kids be kids.

Nymeria

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Dorne.
Wear what you want. Some people genuinely look like their having a midlife crisis with some of their fashion choices tho.