Alabama refuses to create second Black-majority district, defying Supreme Court

Baka's Weird Case

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset

Alabama Republicans on Friday defied a U.S. Supreme Court order by passing a new congressional map that includes only one majority-Black district.

The GOP-controlled Legislature had called a special session to redraw an earlier map after the Supreme Court reaffirmed a federal court order to include two districts where Black voters make up voting-age majorities, “or something quite close to it.” But on Friday, state Republicans approved a new map with just one majority-Black seat and a second district that is approximately 40% Black.

The bill passed the House in a 75-28 vote after the Senate voted 24 to 6 in favor of the revised map.

The map was completed Friday afternoon — hours before the court-ordered deadline for the Legislature to draw up new boundaries — as a compromise between the House and Senate versions.

Republican Gov. Kay Ivey signed the redistricting map into law Friday night. A federal court will hold a hearing on the map Aug. 14.

“Following the U.S. Supreme Court order, I called the Alabama Legislature into a special session to readdress our congressional map," Ivey said in a statement after signing the measure. "The Legislature knows our state, our people and our districts better than the federal courts or activist groups, and I am pleased that they answered the call, remained focused and produced new districts ahead of the court deadline.”

Democrats slammed the map and its drafters, arguing that legislators ignored a court order and that the map continued the racist history of voter suppression.

"There was never any intent in this building to comply with their court order," said state Rep. Chris England, a Democrat from Tuscaloosa. "There was never any intent in this building to comply with the Voting Rights Act."

England and other Democrats argued the map was designed to bring another challenge to the Voting Rights Act.

"I'm ashamed of what we did here this week," said state Rep. Juandalynn Givan, a Democrat from Birmingham. "We’ve chosen to outright, blatantly disobey the law and to further attempt and vote to bury the Voting Rights Act."

Sir Richard Spirit

Superstar
Daps
The GOP-controlled Legislature had called a special session to redraw an earlier map after the Supreme Court reaffirmed a federal court order to include two districts where Black voters make up voting-age majorities, “or something quite close to it.” But on Friday, state Republicans approved a new map with just one majority-Black seat and a second district that is approximately 40% Black.
:francis:

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
What's ol Jim Crow gonna do ?

Jumping the gun a little bit, don't ya think?

The federal court that handled the original case will have the districts redrawn by a special master. They got away with it in 2022 but I don't think they'll be able to stall this out for 2024.

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
What's ol Jim Crow gonna do ?

You have given several week feeble minded responses to racist conservatives blatantly violating the rights of black Americans.

Instead of humbling yourself and either shutting your mouth or calling out the pipe you share Ideologies with you spaz out like a immature child shown to be on the wrong side of history but refuses to own their mistake.

You supposedly have a wife and kid and moving this poorly

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Is this your way of saying youre telling on me again, cornball.... 🥴.

You want people to emote to show solidarity like we're in a gang and when they dont you get to typing up monologues.

I want to know what the federal government is going to do as rednecks defy a federal mandate. Stop crying all the damn time.

Don't ever tell me how to post again and don't ever talk about my family again.

You are a fool. And I will call you out on your bullshyt every fukking time. If you don't like it, the ignore button is right there.

You are a pathological clown and a delf hating blsck and your family ought to know that.

Blessed Koala

Climbing the Pulpit
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama
I hope so
I don't like how Joe Biden doesn't ring the alarms when these hillbillies get out of pocket. It makes me think his ultimate response will be weak.

Trust. The silent ones are the most terrifying ones. Once election day hits, you are going to see some shyt that will make you put some respect in Biden's old ass name.

Trust the process :wow: