♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
Alarming’ burnout is making doctors want to kill themselves
By Lauren Steussy

January 16, 2019 | 7:12am

shutterstock_509355172.jpg

shutterstock
Doctor burnout is becoming a huge problem, according to new research, which finds that nearly half of all physicians feel completely depleted, to the point where one in seven have contemplated suicide.

The annual Medscape report, released Wednesday, finds that on average, 44 percent of the medical professionals your existence depends on report feeling stressed out to the point where they’ve considered leaving the field altogether.

A higher percentage of these wiped-out life-savers are women, according to the survey of more than 15,000 doctors.

“It’s alarming,” says Brunilda Nazario, lead medical director at WebMD, which owns Medscape. “These numbers haven’t changed, and the problem just continues to be a trend, despite increasing programs to address wellness,” such as “nutrition and exercise programs, or more time off.”

The reason for the scary numbers isn’t what you would think: Most doctors say it’s the level of paperwork and data input they’ve had to do since medical records went digital. Doctors end up spending about 45 minutes per patient visit on tasks like “inputting data codes for the visit,” Nazario says, leaving little face-to-face time with patients.

“[Doctors] are spending an enormous amount of time taking in data during physician-patient visits,” she says. “I know during my last visit for my physician, I think the doctor spent no more than two minutes looking at me. They were looking at a computer screen.”

The result is scary: “I dread coming to work,” one neurologist says in the report.

A family physician says the stress is taking a toll on her physically: “I’m having recurrent miscarriages.”

“I’m drinking more and have become less active,” an anesthesiologist says.

Though most doctors say the depression doesn’t affect their patient care, 35 percent say they find themselves getting exasperated with their patients, and 14 percent say they make errors they wouldn’t normally make.

Nazario says that while burnout is common among workers, for doctors, it can seem worse because all the schooling and training they’ve undergone can feel like a waste when most of their day is spent typing codes into their medical software.

“It’s almost like being a cog in a wheel, where they’re going through the motions of what’s necessary, not necessarily using all the knowledge that she or he has gained in the years of training,” Nazario says.

And though it changes every year, in 2018, urologists reported the highest rate of burnout and depression (54 percent), followed closely by neurologists (53 percent).

Nazario says she’s not sure why urologists are this year’s most burnt out, but that doctors who work longer hours tend to have higher levels of burnout, according to the survey.

“I don’t think physicians blame the patients,” she says. “It’s pretty clear that they feel this is a system-wide health care situation.”

On the other hand, the doctors who were happiest on the job?

Plastic surgeons.

New York Post : 'Alarming' burnout is making doctors want to kill themselves.
https://nypost.com/2019/01/16/alarming-burnout-is-making-doctors-want-to-kill-themselves/

BaldingSoHard

Veteran
Daps
So.... people who work for a living have stress? :mjlol:

Journalism is straight trash these days. 1 in 7 has contemplated suicide? Is that statistically higher than any other profession? Not attempted or committed suicide, just contemplated it?

The Fire

way more chemical than political
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
brooklyn
So.... people who work for a living have stress? :mjlol:

Journalism is straight trash these days. 1 in 7 has contemplated suicide? Is that statistically higher than any other profession? Not attempted or committed suicide, just contemplated it?
Breh probably. The suicide rate is most likely higher as well, I don’t see why this is so unbelievable

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I believe it. The amount of times I spent in hospitals, doctors look like zombies. Coming in at 6am and not leaving until 10pm only to get called in for an emergency at 3am.
yeah as fukked up as our medical system is, they deserve every penny

last time i was in the hospital, the nurse was telling me about walking through human shyt 3 times a shift :huhldup:

Ya' Cousin Cleon

OG COUCH CORNER HUSTLA
Daps
Reppin
Harvey World to Dallas, TX
don't expect brehs here to care, let alone empathize with other people

You guys do know doctors, especially ones in hospitals work insane hours and the job is super high in demand especially in emergency rooms. Being in life and death situations all day must be horrendous for your physical and mental health.

3rdLetter

Pushin afros back to '76
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Qnz, NYC
I believe it. The amount of times I spent in hospitals, doctors look like zombies. Coming in at 6am and not leaving until 10pm only to get called in for an emergency at 3am.
Especially during residency. I know they scaled back the hours per week residents work, but having sleep deprived and stressed out doctors can't be good for the safety of patients.

stave

Superstar
Daps
Yeah my guy who works in the medical field says a lot of the workers overall have some spooky shyt going on, especially doctors. Doesn't even matter if they got in for the bread or to help people, the amount of hours and completely fukked up stuff you see is :merchant:

Plus you want to help people and they don't want to help themselves. Or they don't have good enough insurance, so your hospital basically instructs you to patch them up and get them back out the fukkin door, knowing they might not make another 48.

Then you factor in carrying all that through your personal life and relationships. It gets very demonic, friends :sitdown: