An example of the power of positive images

Lazy Migrant

Migrated
Supporter
Daps
K3iIEZw.jpg

Nichols' Star Trek character, one of the firstAfrican American female characters on American television not portrayed as a servant,[1] was groundbreaking in U.S. society at the time. Civil rights leaderMartin Luther King, Jr. personally praised her work on the show and asked her to remain when she considered leaving the series

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Images matter, representation matters. I remember reading a study that showed young white boys were significantly more confident about themselves after watching TV than any other group of children. All the children reacted positively when they saw someone who looked like them on TV, and since white boys were represented the most (by far) they felt the most positive. IIRC the Asian, Hispanic, and Black boys/girls were the least positive, and white girls were also low.

The positive image of a calm, intelligent black man being president of the United States is huge for black children. We also need more positive images of black people. Not saying we need a bunch of Leave It To Beaver type shows on TV, but black people in positive media roles is important and severely LACKING right now.

We also need to combat the mentality that positive=money. Being rich and flashing your jewels doesn't mean you're a positive image.

Maxine Shaw

#ColiFam gave more $ 2 my students than my school
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, N.Y.
The positive image of a calm, intelligent black man being president of the United States is huge for black children. We also need more positive images of black people. Not saying we need a bunch of Leave It To Beaver type shows on TV, but black people in positive media roles is important and severely LACKING right now.

Terry Crews was very adamant about his role on Everybody Hates Chris that he would not play the find of goofy father with smart-alecky kids for that very reason. Not only did he want to be a positive father figure & a loving wife/mother, he wanted kids portrayed as KIDS - largely respectful, but prone to do some stupid kid stuff and be disciplined accordingly (which wasn't ALWAYS a whipping).