Angie Martinez interview with 2Pac (Text excerpts from book)

Sir Brehsington

Mr. Brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Brehsidential Housing
Right from the start I could see that he was far more articulate and calculated than I was. And at this point, way more seasoned than me . I could have asked him anything. He already knew what he wanted to say. He answered my questions, but he also was very clear about what he wanted to get out of this. He had some shyt to say, and he was using me as the vehicle to do that.

ANGIE: So are you saying that you do not have a beef with New York? TUPAC: Nah . . . I have a beef with anybody in my way , anybody that’ll come against me that feel like they could criticize me because they bought my album. That feel like just because they read an interview that they know who I am— I have a beef with them interfering with me getting my money. I got a beef with Wendy Williams saying I got raped in jail because that disrespected me, my family , and what I represent. I got a beef with New York rappers just saying whatever they wanna say about where I’m from . . .

He went off, continuing his laundry list, which finally came around to the main beef. And because I still didn’t fully understand, I asked exactly how his relationship with Biggie had gotten so bad and what exactly Biggie had done.

TUPAC: He acted like he didn’t know what happened when I got shot. He didn’t know what happened. I was tripping out. I was buggin’. I must’ve been fukkin’ on drugs when I got operated on. This nikka only got shot once. He was acting like a movie when he came upstairs . That type of shyt ? It’s going down . . . Puffy’s the one that really . . . snapped me back to my senses. When this punk muthafukka said “Thug Life you gon’ be a thug, you gotta be a thug forever you can’t go in and out of it.” Okay, now when a cream puff nikka like that tell me that, it’s time to ride. ’Cause I had legitimately just walked away from the shyt. I was gonna take my shots and move on. I already knew what happened. Only thing that pissed me off is when nikkas tried to make me seem like I was buggin’ or bullshytting like I just shot myself. Nobody knew what happened. That’s what really made just me trip the fukk out. And then Mobb Deep doing shows and they introducing people onstage like this the nikka that shot ’Pac.

ANGIE: Where was that?
TUPAC: In Queens ! It get real deep and everybody involved know it get deep.

This is basically what it is— fear is stronger than love. His point was that New York was an innocent bystander. And there was no question where the battle lines had been drawn for him.

Book is dope af, cop that shyt brehs!

Last edited:

Sir Brehsington

Mr. Brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Brehsidential Housing
I am starting to hate the term "relevancy", especially in hip hop culture. shyt sounds bougee as hell. I live and breathe this culture and even if someone is not popping like they used to, I wont shyt on what they built. Ang has had a hell of career and her come up is an inspiration...she put the work in. If you don't rock with her cool, but she get hella props from me.

And for all Pac fans ready to shyt on her...2Pac had love and respect for ol girl which is why he flew her out 4 the interview.

Dirty D

Vikes & Raptors 4 Life
Daps
Reppin
The 6
I just read this chapter today. That interview would have severely damaged Bad Boy if it aired in full.

Pac wrote her this note:

2 Angie Martinez

4 being true when false behavior was fashionable
4 never dirtying my name on the air
4 being what iz so hard 2 find....
A real motherfuka
I O U 1
Collect whenever needed most

Sign: Tupac Shakur

Edit: there's a picture of the handwritten note at the back of the book

Last edited: