Any (German) car experts in here? BMW X5 issues (sell or fix?)

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
go shopping around and see what you can get if you trade it in
then take it to a mechanic and see if it's worth it.
08? might be time to switch though just saying
you gotta maintain it and just use it sparingly

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I own a ‘08 BMW X5 (Space Gray with matte black rims, black grill) since May 2019.

Love how it drives especially on road trips, but it has had lots of issues already:
  • Replaced spark plugs + coil because the engine was misfiring
  • Had to get a new right wheel bearing
  • Coolant tank was leaking
  • Main coolant tube broke while I was driving
  • Air conditioning didn’t work, had to fix it
Some new issues have popped up:
  • When I start the car, sometimes there’s smoke coming from under the hood, I am pretty sure the engine has an oil leak
  • The smoke comes into the car sometimes when I have the heating on
  • The handbrake button broke off
  • Then the handbrake was stuck and I had to manually release it, now the car only parks on the parking break
  • The brakes need to be replaced
  • The all-seasons (expensive ones) need to be replaced
The car is almost at 125,000 miles also.

Two questions:

1. Is it the smoke from under the hood, that also comes in through the vents in the car, coming from an oil leak? I checked and parked my car and the next day there was no oil on the street, but that doesn’t mean there’s no leak.

2. Is it worth fixing a car like this, or best to just sell it - even for cheap?

Ideally next year I want to get a newer car, like the 2018 BMW X5 and buy it from the dealer so I have warranty, but I can also buy for instance a simple, safe, reliable car (2017 Jetta), it’d be boring af, but it would be a possible in-between. I don’t really want to downgrade as far as driving experience.

All tips/thoughts welcome, thanks!
:mjcry:

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
That leak is probably coming from the valve cover gasket in the rear, facing the firewall. stick a mirror or run your finger back there and check for oil. Pretty common issue on higher mileage bimmers

⠀X ⠀

Geoff
Daps
BMW’s are for rich people who can get a new car every 3 or 4 years.

it sounds like you need to be looking at an RX350

:francis:

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
I simply don't understand how these german car companies stay in business with such cars that breakdown so much!!!:scust:
German cars are less forgiving when you have an uneducated and ill-equipped owner. If you take care of the car, then they will last well into 150-180k. Whats wrong is the second hand market for German cars is full of people who cant afford the car or respect the car. They bought it because of the name, the look, the interior. And they skirt the maintenance. Look at OP. Car has over 120k on the dash and he said he had to replace the plugs/coils because of a misfire. When the reality is the car was misfiring because the required maintenance of spark plugs/coil replacement hadnt been done. That sentiment is exactly why the secondary market is flooded with poorly maintained cars. People (not saying OP) focus on how the car looks than taking care of it properly.

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
German cars are less forgiving when you have an uneducated and ill-equipped owner. If you take care of the car, then they will last well into 150-180k. Whats wrong is the second hand market for German cars is full of people who cant afford the car or respect the car. They bought it because of the name, the look, the interior. And they skirt the maintenance. Look at OP. Car has over 120k on the dash and he said he had to replace the plugs/coils because of a misfire. When the reality is the car was misfiring because the required maintenance of spark plugs/coil replacement hadnt been done. That sentiment is exactly why the secondary market is flooded with poorly maintained cars. People (not saying OP) focus on how the car looks than taking care of it properly.
It shouldn't cost a fortune to maintain a car.

You Win Perfect

bow down
Daps
nah they just aren't reliable cars. :laff: at using 'Less forgiving' in place of less reliable.

I have a $65,000 Lexus that I know won't need any expensive maintenace. spark plugs, brakes, suspension none of that shyt will break the bank. thats all BASIC maintenance for any car.

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
nah they just aren't reliable cars. :laff: at using 'Less forgiving' in place of less reliable.

I have a $65,000 Lexus that I know won't need any expensive maintenance. spark plugs, brakes, suspension none of that shyt will break the bank. thats all BASIC maintenance for any car.

Its a fairly easy thing to understand. When maintenance is required, it would cost more for a more expensive car. Great that your Toyota parts are cheaper. Its not a luxury sports sedan no matter how much you paid for it. They dont need 13in rotors or 6 piston calipers. They dont require fully synthetic oil changes. Stands to reason they would be more. I have owned German almost exclusively with the exception of a couple sports cars and I have yet to have any undue issues with any of them except an issue with iDrive in a M6 that was fixed under my bumper to bumper warranty. Everything else was basic maintenance. Im not a idiot though, so I service my car when it needs service so I aint never had any problems.

My conversation wasnt about maintenance cost, it was reliability. The fact that we are talking about maintenance costs right now is the exact reason why so many people who buy German cars, likely used, dont properly maintain them and have poorly maintained cars in the used market. Not getting basic shyt done because "it costs way less with my Toyota". Then act surprised when your engine has a misfire because you kept putting off changing your plugs/coils.

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
It shouldn't cost a fortune to maintain a car.
It doesnt. But it certainly isnt as cheap as some other manufactures. With German, its best to be an informed owner and know how to order your own parts, what companies supply OEM and what aftermarket are just as good if not better/cheaper.

If you arent that type of owner, then as I said the maintenance will be less forgiving.