Any Given Sunday

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Daps
I'll start off by saying its true what they say, that rewatching old movies you haven't seen in a while is the gift that keeps on giving. I found this to be no exception. In my other thread I was being too harsh on this flick. So i apologize, However I wont say that this movie is not without its faults.

I like the idea that when Oliver Stone set out to make the movie, he wanted to make it the Platoon of football movies. He also wanted to shoot the actual football scenes in the same violent chaotic energy as Saving Private Ryan. Which for the most part he succeeded. Stone also chose to treat this film in part as an expose on the problems plaguing the sport like drug abuse, racism and the handling of injuries, so much so it got them blackballed by the NFL. I liked both ideas and his whole creative approach to how he put the movie together.

However my main gripe was I felt this movie relied on Oliver Stone getting high on himself and shytting the bed by valuing style over substance that often ventured into him going for shock value and just being flatout self indulgent. Some shyt was just so comically unrealistic, that it was hard to take the film seriously.

:mjlol:

What's up with the cutaways in some scenes? is this football or natural born killers? And was that really necessary to see dudes dikk in the locker room scene.:dame:

Anyway flaws and all, I found alot of stuff I remember liking about it, as well as new shyt I picked up on. Outside of the reasons I listed as well as pacing problems, its alright. :ehh:

I always get a kick out of the story about Puffs Audition. He showed up at Oliver Stones workout sessions setup for actors to prove they could play. Well he wound up performing so bad he upset Al Pacino and embarrassed Oliver Stone who was ready to cast him.

“Puff Daddy threw like a girl so they put him on a plane.” -Andrew Bryniarski :russ:

Conscious Pilot

Do Better.
Daps
Reppin
Beaches and Palm Trees
iQG9puM.png

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Dope movie, but I thought they rushed Foxx’s rise to stardom. Didn’t it happen within 6 weeks?
Thats how it happens sometimes. Old guy goes down young guy comes in and becomes the man.

Movie has its moments but a different director would have done it more justice. Stone was done by then.

I remember being at the Broncos game, Al Pacino was on the sideline with a headset preparing for the role near Mike Shannahan. I remember Shanahan saying he liked Al but thought the movie was terrible. Lol

Rell Lauren

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC
There haven't been many football movies, but this is the best one I've seen as it pulls down the curtain beyond the on the field stuff.

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Daps
There haven't been many football movies, but this is the best one I've seen as it pulls down the curtain beyond the on the field stuff.
Idk the program kind of touched on some of the same topics not as in depth but I still like that movie better.

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Daps
Every generation has a willie beamen at one point people swore up and down it was Cam Newton whereas others argued it was Shaun King.

I'd like to see another director take a crack at a football movie, like maybe Justin Lin or Ryan Coogler. But directing these types of movies is so hard to do competantly because sports movies almost always fall under the trap of relying on the drama of the games when the drama on the screen will never match the drama and suspense of real life games.

Last edited:

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Daps
According to Bill Belamy Jamie instigated the whole situation...

Apparently it started off with LL getting in his feelings over Jamie cracking jokes about him. Which I think led to him getting physical with Jamie in their scene. Jamie told LL to cut it out. Although what then happened next wasnt the smartest move on Jamie's part for responding in kind. I think today he even acknowledges he lost the fight. I find it funny that Oliver Stone came in pissed because they broke up the fight while he was filming it.

Bill Bellamy's stories about shooting that movie are fukking funny. This one about Jim Brown tho :dead:

DA_LURKA

I post so the Lurkas don't have to...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Strictly For My Lurkas...
Apparently it started off with LL getting in his feelings over Jamie cracking jokes about him. Which I think led to him getting physical with Jamie in their scene. Jamie told LL to cut it out. Although what then happened next wasnt the smartest move on Jamie's part for responding in kind. I think today he even acknowledges he lost the fight. I find it funny that Oliver Stone came in pissed because they broke up the fight while he was filming it.

Bill Bellamy's stories about shooting that movie are fukking funny. This one about Jim Brown tho :dead:

Nah That's a violation...

:russ::russ::russ::russ::russ: