Any of you guys ever started a fashion line?

Memorial Stadium Piru

WE BYKE BABY
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Big Red
I have an idea for cheap, quality business casual/formal attire....any experiences brehs? What is the fashion industry like? Marketing tips? Have you dealt with shady Chinese/Vietnamese manufacturers? Any info is welcomed.

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Didnt u make a thread announcing you'd never post on this site again?

If u cant keep one promise what makes u think I believe in your business ideas? :stopitslime:

:camby:

Flywin Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Lannister Bloodline
I have an idea for cheap, quality business casual/formal attire....any experiences brehs? What is the fashion industry like? Marketing tips? Have you dealt with shady Chinese/Vietnamese manufacturers? Any info is welcomed.
First of all, I always give props to my brothers when they want to do business and build their own things and take control of their destiny
:salute:

About a fashion line: I'm in the process actually.

First thing's first: the world is changing. The brick & mortar, do it the way everybody did it days are dying.
Online is your best friend, the internet is your best friend, social media is your best friend, analytics is your best friend and DIY is your best friend.
  • Why online: no inventory (you can make money selling clothes without you yourself having an inventory)
  • Why the internet: the internet allows you freedom that we have never seen before, also in business - you can be anywhere and sell to anybody anywhere, if you know how to put your product in front of them and if you know how to get traffic to your 'place of business', your website - also online you will find freelancers with skills you don't have (yet) who can build things that you yourself can't for a relatively small fee
  • Why social media: feedback, social proof, attracting fans of an influencer to your clothes etc. can all help you in your business journey and to create a community of people who love your things
  • Why analytics: data tells you everything (or a lot) about your potential customers; visitors to your store (what do they click on most, how long on average do they spend on your shop, what is the most popular item etc.) and this allows you to make important conclusions - you can learn a lot about what is and what is not working like this and kill certain things while increasing other things
  • Why DIY: nowadays 1 person can run a successful online shop, as long as they have an online connection and drive
I'm up for sharing way more info, but I'm curious how serious you are and what your plan is, what do you have in mind in more detail?

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
I made streetwear type shyt...

Limited edition, high priced, medium quality shyt...like selling a T-Shirt for 40 bucks type shyt...

And I didn't go thru Asians and etc...

I got my shyt made locally....

Sold that shyt online or at trade shows or at colleges...put it in a couple of boutique shops...

The shyt you tryna do is some mass produced K-Mart/WalMart/JcPenny's type shyt...

And the only way you gonna make some money is through them...when they buy your shyt wholesale

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
Basically you tryna make some shyt like IZod, George, Chaps, US Polo Assn and etc....

As long as they selling 2000 pieces to Walmart and etc each year...they good...

But see...you gotta keep making the shyt...so your buyers...can keep buying that shyt...so if you don't have any capital...you are fukked....

When I was making streetwear...I could make the shyt when I wanted to...I had no schedule...there was no buyer rushing me...

And since I sold my shyt at a premium price...I can go print 100 shirts for like 200 and sell my shyt for 40 and make 400...

The reason why I went local instead of trying to make the shyt in China or whatever is because local print shops and shyt...had connections to boutique shops that sell streetwear type shyt...and I was giving them semi consistent business and I had my own designs so I just told them print that shyt at a good price for me to flip...

This is why streetwear rules the day when it comes to just being an independent dude and doing your own thing...

It's easy and it's hard....

It's hard because you don't got any capital and very few stores will carry your shyt...

It's easy because you can just charge motherfukker out the ass and very few people will question it if they think you are hot in the streets or the next big thing...