ANy Project-Fi users in here? Thinking about switching

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
I remember when Google first came out with (about) this 2 years ago. I thought about switching then but i wanted to let it soak first (i never buy something when it first comes out. EVER)

So after the soaking period i heard some good things about it. THen this morning i was talking to my indian homeboy who just came back after 2 months in india who was telling me he's been on it for 3 months now and loves it. Especially since he's been traveling the last month or so and roaming is free

• $20 for unlimited voice/text
  • $10 for every 1GB of data used. You are charged $10 at a time as you use each GB of data. No upfront block of data purchase
  • You are refunded for any unused data at the end of the month.
  • Free international text
  • Some free international calls while in the U.S.
  • Free international roaming (this is huge for me)

901Cory10

Pro
Daps
it works as advertised cheaper than any carrier i use it in germany with no problems and the pixel XL :whoo::whoo:

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
it works as advertised cheaper than any carrier i use it in germany with no problems and the pixel XL :whoo::whoo:
My only beef with it is it limited in the handsets you can use right now

Based Lord Zedd

Colts or Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston TX
I have it.

Positives
  • I can send/receive text messages from my computer which is the main reason I keep it. Can also make calls from my computer.
  • When I went overseas a few months ago it was free roaming with no extra fees beyond my normal plan. A carrier like AT&T would've hit me up for $$ I was using the phone in 2 countries and had good coverage.
  • My bill is low, my monthly bill is ~$45 but I am not a heavy data user.

Bad
  • Combination of tmobile/sprint towers, sprint is kinda trash in my area.
  • Only a few phones you can use, right now I'm stuck. I cracked the screen on my Nexus, don't want to leave Fi, but don't want to buy a Pixel yet. :francis:

Last edited:

El negrito de tejas

Fukk the govt I got my own Deficit
Daps
Reppin
The country of myself
I made the switch this past December and don't miss AT&T whatsoever.

Only cons to me is if you are a heavy data user.

Once I pay off my phone my bill shouldn't be any higher than $60 a month

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I just want to mention the poor man's version of Google Fi. I have had it for years and it sucked at first but now it is fuego.

Google Fi is essentially a combination of Google Hangouts and Google Voice. I downloaded both apps for free and I have free calls and free texts on ANY device that I want. I text from my tablet on the bus as well as call people from my Chromebook at the crib when I want. All you need to call someone using Google Hangouts is an internet connection.

Personally for my phone, I have a plan with a lot of data and very little minutes for $30. It is the T-Mobile 100 minutes + 5GB plan (Note: this specific plan was discontinued like a week ago but any cheap plan with a decent amount of data can save you money).

Basically the way that Hangouts voice calls work, for every minute you talk, you burn about 0.5 MB of data. So technically, a 1GB plan could net you 2,000 minutes of talking. Of course, people use data for other things than talking so you want to make sure you get enough data to surf the internet, but another thing to keep in mind is that any calls you make over wifi are free also.

If you want to be super cheap, you could get a FreedomPop phone and then install Google Hangouts and then as long as you don't exceed your free GB of data each month, you have free phone service.

Based Lord Zedd

Colts or Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston TX
I just want to mention the poor man's version of Google Fi. I have had it for years and it sucked at first but now it is fuego.

Google Fi is essentially a combination of Google Hangouts and Google Voice. I downloaded both apps for free and I have free calls and free texts on ANY device that I want. I text from my tablet on the bus as well as call people from my Chromebook at the crib when I want. All you need to call someone using Google Hangouts is an internet connection.

Personally for my phone, I have a plan with a lot of data and very little minutes for $30. It is the T-Mobile 100 minutes + 5GB plan (Note: this specific plan was discontinued like a week ago but any cheap plan with a decent amount of data can save you money).

Basically the way that Hangouts voice calls work, for every minute you talk, you burn about 0.5 MB of data. So technically, a 1GB plan could net you 2,000 minutes of talking. Of course, people use data for other things than talking so you want to make sure you get enough data to surf the internet, but another thing to keep in mind is that any calls you make over wifi are free also.

If you want to be super cheap, you could get a FreedomPop phone and then install Google Hangouts and then as long as you don't exceed your free GB of data each month, you have free phone service.

Nah Google Voice is the shyt. I used to have two phone numbers running off the same phone.

I agree with the rest though. Paying sky high prices for phones is stupid in 2017. My company work with AT&T as a client. Looking at people's bill paying $400 a month on trash plans :hhh::mjlol:

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
My problem is im a heavy data user.

Between fukking with you clones on here with the browser, Tinder, Words with friends or streaming Udemy courses and or iHeart radio im pretty much a data hog.

If i were to switch i'd be using over 5GB of data.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
My problem is im a heavy data user.

Between fukking with you clones on here with the browser, Tinder, Words with friends or streaming Udemy courses and or iHeart radio im pretty much a data hog.

If i were to switch i'd be using over 5GB of data.
I made the switch this past December and don't miss AT&T whatsoever.

Only cons to me is if you are a heavy data user.

Once I pay off my phone my bill shouldn't be any higher than $60 a month

They now have their own version of unlimited: $60 a month. I have Project Fi and I haven't had any issues. I only use around 2-3 GBs a month though.

Google's Project Fi gains "unlimited" data plan with Bill Protection | ZDNet

Google's Project Fi gains "unlimited" data plan with Bill Protection
Bill Protection caps your monthly fee while adding more data and providing peace of mind.

Google's Project Fi service is designed for those who would rather not pay a flat monthly fee for wireless service. Instead, users are only charged for the data they use. Starting at $20 per month for unlimited talk and text, plus $10 per gig those who rarely use data can save a lot of money.

Where Project Fi lost some of its appeal was with users who use a lot of data. At $10 for every gigabyte of use, a bill can quickly skyrocket.

With Bill Protection, Project Fi is capping every user's bill at $80 per month regardless of how much data is used. Users will still pay $20 per month for unlimited talk and text and $10 per gigabyte of data. But instead of letting that number climb, Google caps it at $60, or the normal charge for 6GB of data.

Users can continue to use data up to 15GB in a month at full speed, free of any restrictions. Google notes only 1-percent of its users currently use 15GB in a month, but that's likely to change.

Once the user goes above 15GB of data use, Project Fi will reduce the users speed to 256 kbps. The user can either ditch the reduced speeds, paying for each gigabyte as they go, or wait until the next billing cycle for full speeds to return.

Project Fi isn't getting rid of its pay for what you use approach for those who use under 6GB, but merely capping the maximum amount you will be charged each month. So if one month you max out, and the next you only use 3.5GB, you're bill will reflect the different amounts used and save you some money.

Project Fi subscribers don't have to do anything to enable Bill Protection. The new feature starts rolling out today. and should appear during your next billing cycle.

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
They now have their own version of unlimited: $60 a month. I have Project Fi and I haven't had any issues. I only use around 2-3 GBs a month though.

Google's Project Fi gains "unlimited" data plan with Bill Protection | ZDNet

Google's Project Fi gains "unlimited" data plan with Bill Protection
Bill Protection caps your monthly fee while adding more data and providing peace of mind.

Google's Project Fi service is designed for those who would rather not pay a flat monthly fee for wireless service. Instead, users are only charged for the data they use. Starting at $20 per month for unlimited talk and text, plus $10 per gig those who rarely use data can save a lot of money.

Where Project Fi lost some of its appeal was with users who use a lot of data. At $10 for every gigabyte of use, a bill can quickly skyrocket.

With Bill Protection, Project Fi is capping every user's bill at $80 per month regardless of how much data is used. Users will still pay $20 per month for unlimited talk and text and $10 per gigabyte of data. But instead of letting that number climb, Google caps it at $60, or the normal charge for 6GB of data.

Users can continue to use data up to 15GB in a month at full speed, free of any restrictions. Google notes only 1-percent of its users currently use 15GB in a month, but that's likely to change.

Once the user goes above 15GB of data use, Project Fi will reduce the users speed to 256 kbps. The user can either ditch the reduced speeds, paying for each gigabyte as they go, or wait until the next billing cycle for full speeds to return.

Project Fi isn't getting rid of its pay for what you use approach for those who use under 6GB, but merely capping the maximum amount you will be charged each month. So if one month you max out, and the next you only use 3.5GB, you're bill will reflect the different amounts used and save you some money.

Project Fi subscribers don't have to do anything to enable Bill Protection. The new feature starts rolling out today. and should appear during your next billing cycle.
It's not a bad deal but im on T-Mobile right now and for the same amount i get to take advantage of their inflight data and text services and also their international data and text service when i travel so.. I think i'll stick to TMobile for now

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
It's not called Google Fi and they just announced a true unlimited plan:

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Google-Fi-Unlimited-Plan-launched_id119023

Google Fi announces its first Unlimited Plan, here is what you get

Google Fi is getting its first Unlimited Plan, which should offer subscribers everything in unlimited quantities. Well, that's not how it really works in the United States, at least when it comes to data.

Since the carrier's launch in 2015, only one plan was available for customers, the Fi Flexible plan. Starting today, Fi is adding a second plan, a Google Fi Unlimited Plan. It will be available for $70 for a single line, but the more people you're sharing it with, the less it will cost. So, for two lines, the Unlimited Plan is priced at $60, while three lines cost just $50 per line. Finally, if you add between four and six lines, you'll be paying $45 per individual user (taxes excluded).

Google Fi's Unlimited Plan offers 22GB of unthrottled data per line, after which your data speed will be limited. Also, Google mentions that it “may optimize video streaming quality to 480p to extend customers access to high-speed data before they hit 22GB.”

Besides data, you'll get unlimited calls and texts, including international calls. Google says that the plan covers free international calls from the US to 50 countries and territories, as well as unlimited data and texting abroad in 200 destinations at no extra charge.

To make things even more appealing, the Unlimited Plan comes with a Google One membership with 100GB of cloud storage and extra benefits such as expert support across Google, discounts on Google products, and much more.

Tunez

Lloyd Banks Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside, 2gz Up
It's not called Google Fi and they just announced a true unlimited plan:

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Google-Fi-Unlimited-Plan-launched_id119023

Google Fi announces its first Unlimited Plan, here is what you get

Google Fi is getting its first Unlimited Plan, which should offer subscribers everything in unlimited quantities. Well, that's not how it really works in the United States, at least when it comes to data.

Since the carrier's launch in 2015, only one plan was available for customers, the Fi Flexible plan. Starting today, Fi is adding a second plan, a Google Fi Unlimited Plan. It will be available for $70 for a single line, but the more people you're sharing it with, the less it will cost. So, for two lines, the Unlimited Plan is priced at $60, while three lines cost just $50 per line. Finally, if you add between four and six lines, you'll be paying $45 per individual user (taxes excluded).

Google Fi's Unlimited Plan offers 22GB of unthrottled data per line, after which your data speed will be limited. Also, Google mentions that it “may optimize video streaming quality to 480p to extend customers access to high-speed data before they hit 22GB.”

Besides data, you'll get unlimited calls and texts, including international calls. Google says that the plan covers free international calls from the US to 50 countries and territories, as well as unlimited data and texting abroad in 200 destinations at no extra charge.

To make things even more appealing, the Unlimited Plan comes with a Google One membership with 100GB of cloud storage and extra benefits such as expert support across Google, discounts on Google products, and much more.

:ohhh::ohhh::ohhh::ohhh::ohhh::ohhh::ohhh::ohhh::ohhh::ohhh::ohhh::ohhh::ohhh::ohhh::ohhh::ohhh::ohhh::ohhh::ohhh::ohhh::ohhh::ohhh: