Any swimmers here? Im thinking of taking lessons

BunchePark

Coli N Calisthenics
Daps
Reppin
Broward
growing up in FL it's like a standard to be able to swim

as I grew older I realized a lot of people didn't really need to learn how based on where they might be from

my first grader is actually getting her 2nd round of lessons right now

they have local lessons for kids, seniors, and those with special needs

$325 for five hours may seem like a lot buts very cheap, I pay $125 for every 45 mins for my jit

gotta be able to swim to jump on them jet skis bruh

I got another cruise coming up soon I wonder how many people getting on these boats and can't swim....never even crossed my mind 🤔

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Place near me got different packages. I don't know how to swim at all.

Thinking I do 5 1- Hour lessons for $325. I also want to be a strong swimmer.

Would 5 hours of lessons be good enough?
Yes for the basics that's a good start. Learning how to float or practising floating before would boost your skill. Floating is the most fundamental element of all swimming skills. It's how you stay up in water. Most everything else is about propulsion.

From floating you can learn different strokes/techniques. Once you have some down you practise whenever you can. It's a lot of cardio but it's good non friction excersice. Even moreso in open water where you swim with currents. Pools will give you a false sense of confidence so be safe in open waters. If you see caps 🌊 beware, stay close to shore. If the water is still be a bit more adventurous.

Always be mindful of the depth of water and your energy levels. This is why floating is the goat skill. Knowing how to conserve energy in the middle of the water is crucial. If I'm doing laps in deeper waters I will rest floating on my back with face up when I get winded then resume.

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
Do it. No downsides.

I didnt learn until I was in high school.

You’ll be able to enjoy yourself so much more when you are in/near bodies of water.

5 hours will be enough to pick up the basics.

And if you need more lessons, just get another 5 hours. Once you get it it kinda “clicks” like riding a bike…and you’ll have skill for life.

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
growing up in FL it's like a standard to be able to swim

as I grew older I realized a lot of people didn't really need to learn how based on where they might be from

my first grader is actually getting her 2nd round of lessons right now

they have local lessons for kids, seniors, and those with special needs

$325 for five hours may seem like a lot buts very cheap, I pay $125 for every 45 mins for my jit

gotta be able to swim to jump on them jet skis bruh

I got another cruise coming up soon I wonder how many people getting on these boats and can't swim....never even crossed my mind 🤔

I wonder how many people can swim in ocean/lake Michigan water if needed? That's the real test. Don't you gotta be a strong swimmer for wild waters? People already :flabbynsick:

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
Damn I literally have no idea. This is the first time I've ever had to think about this. According to my parents, I've never been afraid of the water....i almost swam out to the sea in floaties at 5, when we went to Jamaica. That scared my mom into to putting me into swimming classes. By 9 I was swimming with the high school kids and it would've been young but there was literally no one my age to swim with. Keep in mind, these were all Black kids, in the city too:francis: I was lonely so I quit

I barely remember my swimming lessons over 20 years later. shyt just comes naturally but I'm not "great" swimmers. That being said, there are only 3 skills you need to really focus on.

Saying afloat/tread the water....this is a literal lifesaver. A fit human can tread for hours if they need to.

Breathing properly.....helps rising and sinking, reduces the risk of panicking. Panicking in water will always lead to you losing control

Being comfortable with having your head underwater.....this is the foundation of swimming.

Everything else just improves upon those three skills. Its like learning how to walk before you run an 8 min mile.

kaldurahm

All Star
Daps
Haha you know how many times I've tried learning to swim, bruh you need a whole summer package, and need to be consistent. Otherwise forget about it

Daps
It's good to start but you'll need a lot more pool time.

First gotta learn to float....then basic strokes but especially overhand crawl which is what most people think of when swimming.

Treading water is most important if you want to swim or just hang out in deeper waters...not really important if you're just hanging out in 4ft water.

Then you gotta learn the differences between swimming on the beach vs a pool (staying perpendicular with the ocean, avoiding rip currents, how to "absorb" a wave that's crashing on the beach).

Womb Raider

movin' thru the city streets
Daps
Reppin
Fo Nem
I learned at 24 when I went to temple. Had a swimming for non swimmers class, jumped in the deep end, touched the bottom and swam all the way up by the end of the class.

loved it,

Pseudonym

Secretary of Defense of #catset
Supporter
Daps
:mjlol: my uncles or my cousins just pushed me in

Good ole days

I didn’t learn how to tread water until high school though