Anyone else successfully learn a new language? (OFFICIAL COLI LANGUAGE THREAD)

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Bump, anyone make any new progress?

- I can now read news articles on technology and startups/sports and basically understand most of it.
- Watching the news is a breeze now... I can understand most of what's said
- I even listened to a rap song from a year ago and now I can fully understand what's being said
- Conversations and responding with my wit is becoming more natural even though I still make mistakes
Brazilians have commended my pronunciation but it feels good to surprise native speakers with their own slang

Right now i'm focusing much more on Portuguese conjugation and verbs.
As it stands I know 400/1000 Portuguese verbs and will be taking a few courses
to strengthen my grammar.

97Pac

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I heard from other Spanish speakers that if you trying to learn it to stay away from Mexico and Puerto Rico

It's hard when a lot of people in Puerto Rico speak English and if they see you struggling with Spanish they just start speaking English to you. My friend has lived there three years and still does not speak Spanish

Givethanks

Superstar
Daps
How's people progress? I found a few French groups to parle with on Wednesdays. Should be fun.
That's what's up? I live in Canada but I don't speak a kick of French anymore. If i did, I'd give you some chat. Good luck on your journeys b.

My girls mom is only speaking to me in Spanish, it's tough but she said if I keep on practicing with her and applying myself I should pick something up. My girl goes to the library and picks up kids books to read with me. I sound goofy af but you gotta start somewhere.

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
Duolingo has Haitian Creole in the incubator :lupe:
:ohhh: Might have to check it out when they drop it I understand kreyol grammar but have a limited vocabulary and I haven't been practicing as of late. If they got audio that would be great. Antillean Kreyol shares like 80% or more in common with Kreyòl ayisyen it just seems to be more french influenced.

Payroll

Insomnia Addict
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
GMB
:ohhh: Might have to check it out when they drop it I understand kreyol grammar but have a limited vocabulary and I haven't been practicing as of late. If they got audio that would be great. Antillean Kreyol shares like 80% or more in common with Kreyòl ayisyen it just seems to be more french influenced.

I have some experience with the app, it definitely has audio and mainly involves translation exercises....I highly recommend the desktop site over the App though....Apparently it was suppose to drop in March, I took some French in high school hopefully that helps somewhat...Should have a beta within this year though.

Last edited:

Payroll

Insomnia Addict
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
GMB
How they have High Valyrian and Klingon already but not Haitian Creole? :mindblown:

I don't even know breh....I think it's based on volunteerships....stans are proactive....

I also read they got Zulu in the works.....but haven't seen it in the incubator yet....

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
I don't even know breh....I think it's based on volunteerships....stans are proactive....

I also read they got Zulu in the works.....but haven't seen it in the incubator yet....

I checked the incubator. It's not even past Phase 1 yet and it's already past the completion date. :mjcry:

DeuceZ

Li pitit gason
Daps
Reppin
3rd Rock From the Sun
taught myself French around 8 yrs ago...used the BBC website, bought a French book and was watching movies, listening to movies...

now i cant remember much...merde! :gucci:

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
YouTube has a few language tutorials (in different languages as well) that are paired with something called "binaural beats". Basically the music is supposed to produce alpha brainwaves to allow you to learn faster. Even in your sleep. Has anyone heard of this "binaural beats" thing?

An example,