AOC says govt should rein news media : "you can't just spew disinformation '

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
A commission to rein in means limit or control. Did AOC not say the Congress might have to create a commission to rein the media in??? I'm just checking because that is what is says in the headline of the article.

If Trump would have said the same shyt people probably specifically you would say that is unconstitutional. That shyt works both ways though even when it's something you don't agree with.

You can't limit something in media just because you don't like the information people are putting out there. That is government over reach.

Even if I do think the Republicans and everything they stand for is trash and has been for decades that's a violation of the constitution.

Both now and in the past there have been multiple rules and regulations that have limited what is legal for media to do, so it's clearly not unconstitutional to place restrictions on media. Creating a commission is also obviously constitutional. It's up to the commission to come up with recommendations that are just, fair, and constitutional in the US framework, and with the current legislative divide and Supreme Court composition, I have zero work that something un-Constitutional will be enacted. It's just fear-mongering to claim otherwise given that reality.

Crude

Superstar
Daps
Both now and in the past there have been multiple rules and regulations that have limited what is legal for media to do, so it's clearly not unconstitutional to place restrictions on media. Creating a commission is also obviously constitutional. It's up to the commission to come up with recommendations that are just, fair, and constitutional in the US framework, and with the current legislative divide and Supreme Court composition, I have zero work that something un-Constitutional will be enacted. It's just fear-mongering to claim otherwise given that reality.
I'm being lazy today and I don't feel like going and digging up a bunch of literature and going through it, but.....

The FCC suggested in Syracuse Peace Council that because of the many media voices in the marketplace, the doctrine be deemed unconstitutional, stating that:

The intrusion by government into the content of programming occasioned by the enforcement of [the Fairness Doctrine] restricts the journalistic freedom of broadcasters ... [and] actually inhibits the presentation of controversial issues of public importance to the detriment of the public and the degradation of the editorial prerogative of broadcast journalists.

At the 4–0 vote, Chairman Patrick said:

We seek to extend to the electronic press the same First Amendment guarantees that the print media have enjoyed since our country's inception

Wiki isn't an official credible source; however it was called down by Republicans because it was controversial and a few Senators tried to bring it back but it's controversial at minimum and there is a question of constitutionality.

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
The intrusion by government into the content of programming occasioned by the enforcement of [the Fairness Doctrine] restricts the journalistic freedom of broadcasters ... [and] actually inhibits the presentation of controversial issues of public importance to the detriment of the public and the degradation of the editorial prerogative of broadcast journalists.
:wow:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I'm being lazy today and I don't feel like going and digging up a bunch of literature and going through it, but.....

The FCC suggested in Syracuse Peace Council that because of the many media voices in the marketplace, the doctrine be deemed unconstitutional, stating that:

At the 4–0 vote, Chairman Patrick said:

We seek to extend to the electronic press the same First Amendment guarantees that the print media have enjoyed since our country's inception

Wiki isn't an official credible source; however it was called down by Republicans because it was controversial and a few Senators tried to bring it back but it's controversial at minimum and there is a question of constitutionality.

The Fairness Doctrine was deemed constitutional at least with regards to broadcast media, and it isn't the only example.

The Equal-Time Rule also regulated media. Libel law also regulates media. Anti-trust legislation also regulates media. The FCC also regulates media. There are rules about broadcasting classified material. There are rules about broadcasting indecent and obscene material. There are restrictions on advertising. Supreme Court has specifically ruled that the government can regulate media content in certain situations.

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
The government already controls the media it’s just unofficially. This is just asking to take the hidden hand out of it and making government control of media out in the public and explicit.

haha no thats not true at all :mjlol:

There is a massive conflation between the "govt" and "corporate interests" i guess since so many politicians are bought off prostitutes.

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
haha no thats not true at all :mjlol:

There is a massive conflation between the "govt" and "corporate interests" i guess since so many politicians are bought off prostitutes.

No, it is true...agencies like the CIA communicate directly with news executives...I will pull receipts on you. You don’t know what you are talking about.