Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
DJs ain't important...

...until somebody needs to have a party, a wedding, an event where artists are performing, or an artist wants their shyt played in a venue.

It's funny that there is this perception that the internet and all these outlets for music are more important than DJs, because no matter how great these outlets are, they're inanimate objects that can't be depended on to handle anything with more than 50 people in the same room. People don't move the same way playlists do- no matter how many poppin' ass songs are on it. All these events that people make a big deal out of- they ain't got Tidal and Spotify running, they're hiring Questlove and Jeff and Capri and D-Nice and all these other guys who are getting huge $ to play these events.

Now if you mean are DJs important when it comes to being seen in the limelight and treated as celebs nshyt, not like they used to be. But to the culture as a whole, they're still more important than they ever get credit for.

Yade

BigJohnsons lol
Daps
Not really

There really aren’t even real DJ’s anymore besides Quik , he’s like a DJ who raps and produces , like how Suga Free is a pimp who raps

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Paris, France
I don't go that much to parties events etc (:flabbynsick:) but when I do and the DJ is on point...man the whole vibe is just totally DIFFERENT

I miss scratching on songs and mixtapes (REAL mixtapes) where songs were scratched one into the other, DJ adding his own twist, etc...it's so dope I can't believe so few people use that anymore.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Paris, France
Also I'll add this : DJs (real ones) are extremely important because they obviously know the music and have whole collections. They are basically HH archeologists/historians. Just from that standpoint, and even if it goes unnoticed in everyday life, they're crucial to the culture.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I don't go that much to parties events etc (:flabbynsick:) but when I do and the DJ is on point...man the whole vibe is just totally DIFFERENT

I miss scratching on songs and mixtapes (REAL mixtapes) where songs were scratched one into the other, DJ adding his own twist, etc...it's so dope I can't believe so few people use that anymore.
Fax.
We Gon Make It dropping on a playlist is cool, but only a DJ could do what ALC did here

HearNoEvil

World's Nerdiest DJ
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SEA / ATX
Also I'll add this : DJs (real ones) are extremely important because they obviously know the music and have whole collections. They are basically HH archeologists/historians. Just from that standpoint, and even if it goes unnoticed in everyday life, they're crucial to the culture.

It's true that anyone who calls themselves a DJ probably has encyclopedic knowledge of music.

That can definitely be valuable on it's own.

Self_Born7

SUN OF MAN
Daps
Reppin
all 23 million miles of useful land
:to:
no were not. at least commercially, you have to go the underground route if you still wanna hear precise cuts and scratches with some real rhymes and head nodding beats. today's rap is just pop/party music with cheesy ass hooks and garbage lyrics

Blessed Koala

Climbing the Pulpit
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama
DJs...

• Helped gain attention to artists wayyyy before the social networking shyt
  • Created mixes that fed the streets
  • Provided historic freestyles and moments in hip hop
  • Helped put on cities that didn't have a voice
Dude...if anything, DJ's were the backbone of hip hop. Without them, there's no type of stance with the culture :francis: