Are Thomas Sowell's Arguments Just the Economic Equivalent of Flat Earth Theory?

inndaskKy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
While Thomas Sowell is fun to listen to, he tends to talk over points of criticism brought against his arguments. There's always the stink of rhetoric and cherry picked data when he's pressed on his points. I'm still in the process of delving a little deeper into his reasoning and the data he uses, but my first thoughts after discovering him were that he has some interesting observations that he oversells in order to advance the same old neoliberal bullsh*t agenda.

For the uninitiated:

Adeptus Astartes

Loyal servant of the God-Brehmperor
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Imperium of Man
Has anyone called him on the fact that whites have gotten so much more government assistance than blacks that blacks were kept out of? From Homesteading to the New Deal social programs, the government has made it rain on white folks. Racism is always the commin denominator.

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
I beg to differ.

The problem is that White families living under similar circumstances saw the exact opposite effects during the same time period...wouldn't that be evidence that welfare isn't the catalyst?
The black family faced white supremacy as well...
whites got a cold, blacks got pneumonia :yeshrug:

Does correlation imply causation?
Govt. isnt the cause... it just accelerated it and disabled the brakes.

edit: govt. is the cause... it deemed blacks 3/5 a person and sanctioned our disenfranchisement :wow:

God Almighty

Your Lord
Daps
Govt. isnt the cause
k35AiTMgFdUG6YloZsMUKGO9jBH_d7F9V5DwYxI_35sPmg0r-5im0ednm1EWDBEZjF9KB5Q

edit: govt. is the cause
tenor.gif

tenor.gif

ogc163

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
Yes, I'm arguing that he's downplaying the impact of slavery/discrimination in favor of welfare. Even new information on the pervasiveness of racial discrimination hasn't made his viewpoint shift in over 40+ years.

Then yeah your criticism is valid. Raj Chetty's work undermined a lot of the neoclassical microeconomic studies foundations regarding race and mobility.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
For years now I've been aware of Thomas Sowell, the conservative intellectuals' supposed trump card against progressive/liberal/leftist political arguments (and against accusations of racism on the Right. :skip: )

I've read up on him on several occasions, and I've really tried to understand his arguments. Every time I hear him speak, or read any of his books, I'm usually left with more questions than answers. :dwillhuh:

To simplify my, the various explanations that Sowell gives for what we observe about Black people in America don't seem to link up in any cohesive way. He usually points to the introduction of government welfare programs as the single most destructive thing to happen to Black wealth, even more than slavery and Jim Crow. :gucci:

I can't find a definitive video or article that debunks Sowell's talking points, so I decided to ask these questions here. If anyone has any links or resources that answers any of these questions, please feel free to share them.

Here are my questions for Thomas Sowell:
  • Where does Sowell get his statistics on Black poverty prior to 1960 from, and how can we trust them? (Who gave these statistics? How do we check their work?)
  • What is/are the coefficient(s) that links the increase of Black poverty to the introduction of affirmative action welfare programs targeted at Black people? (Correlation does not imply causation. What is the causal relationship between these two things?)
  • Why didn't we see the same destruction of wealth amongst white Americans who received those same benefits in the same timeframe (1960's onwards)?
  • Hell, why didn't New Deal welfare programs destroy wealth for White Americans in the 1920's? What made the New Deal successful, but the War on Poverty (and beyond) unsuccessful, if welfare destroyed Black wealth?
  • Most economists agree that homeownership is the single most powerful tool for families to build wealth. Experts, including experts in racial economics, are also aware that redlining was a pervasive problem leading to low rates of homeownership in the Black community. If both these things are true, how is welfare more damaging to Black wealth than lack of homeownership?
  • Experts also note the types of employment Black Americans could find were mostly low-wage unskilled labor positions. If Blacks did hold positions that were similar to their White counterparts, they held them at lower rates, and were usually paid less than their white counterparts. If Black Americans were unable to participate in the economy in the same way as White Americans (hold the same types of jobs, make the same salaries, buy homes and other assets at the same rate, start businesses at the same rate), how was the economic position of Black America "better" prior to 1960?
There are more, but I'll leave these questions as they are for right now. :ld: