Arizona high school 'Redneck Day' sparks anger

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/05/01/schools-redneck-day-draws-objections/2128347/
When members of the student council at an Arizona high school organized a schoolwide "Redneck Day" and encouraged classmates to dress — and spoof — accordingly, they hoped to build school spirit leading up to prom week.

Instead, "Redneck Day" at Queen Creek High School has angered African-Americans and civil-rights leaders and touched off a debate about free speech, social stereotypes and good taste.

The Rev. Oscar Tillman, president of the Maricopa County NAACP, who grew up in the 1940s in the South, said: "Our community knows what that flag represents. ... A school is supposed to be for education and showing people where we come from, our history, and to try not to go back to some things."

Lindsey said the student wearing the Confederate flag was pulled aside by an assistant principal and asked to change his clothes.

"It was no ill intent," Lindsey said.

The student, who is from a state where the flag is more prevalent, did not see a negative connotation, the superintendent said.

"It was explained to him that in Arizona, we look at it differently," Lindsey said, adding that Redneck Day was mostly uneventful.

"We apologize to any people who, because of the word (redneck), were offended," Lindsey said.

Maureen Costello, director of the Teaching Tolerance program at the Southern Poverty Law Center in Montgomery, Ala., said schools would do well to adopt the slogan of physicians: Do no harm.

"Do no harm to a student's sense of identity," she said. "Everyone should feel welcome."

Costello said she understands that Redneck Day was intended to bolster students' sense of feeling good about school but said "they've chosen an event that stereotypes an entire group of people, and under those circumstances, they should hardly be surprised that they also offend people."

She said a student wearing a Confederate flag could easily argue that he's "playing a role, and he doesn't mean it."

"But the flag is a very potent symbol," Costello said, "and the school facilitated that."

Costello said the school should do two things: "Open up a dialogue about why this was so offensive to some people, and second, to really start thinking through the kinds of events they sponsor to build school spirit."

She added that probably some students' families can be traced to the Appalachians, and "maybe they don't feel so great about being called rednecks."

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
"redneck" doesn't go back to the Appalachians though. that's "hillbilly"

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
I'll never understand how people get some sense of "southern pride" from a confederate flag but I have seen people that legitimately weren't racist display it. Went to a new friends apartment the other day and his other roommate had a big confederate flag up on his wall behind the couch where his roommate was playing fifa with a black dude.

I don't mind stereotyping rednecks though, I personally think it's hilarious to make fun of rednecks and I do it all the time (being from KY, rednecks are annoying as fukk) and my mom's family are a bunch of redneck retards from Indiana.

Slim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Valley of the SUNS
Someday. Someday my state will make headlines for doing good. But it is not this day.

I cannot understand why AZ (Maricopa County specifically) breeds such incompetent, intolerant politicians, education administrators, and public servants.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
the funny thing is the confederate flag only flew officially for like 4 years, but people from the south always want to act like it represents much more than that

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
These people are wilin out and are bold for having this day... but I hate that the NAACP only gets involved with media sh1t like this. They should be involved with free Assata or down with stopping gentrification. There are thousands of low income families right here in the Detroit that are being given 1 month to move out of there homes... so that nw businesses, expensive lofts, whole foods, and bike trails can be build for the "new Detroit" movement. I see now naacp when people are out pushing back against it.

Kid McNamara

'97 Mike Bibby
Daps
Reppin
Freshman Year
:snoop:
There needs to be a paradigm shift in the way we discuss race within our community. While I respect the NAACP, their stance is getting to be a bit archaic.

This negro was praying and crying? :comeon:

Kid McNamara

'97 Mike Bibby
Daps
Reppin
Freshman Year
These people are wilin out and are bold for having this day... but I hate that the NAACP only gets involved with media sh1t like this. They should be involved with free Assata or down with stopping gentrification. There are thousands of low income families right here in the Detroit that are being given 1 month to move out of there homes... so that nw businesses, expensive lofts, whole foods, and bike trails can be build for the "new Detroit" movement. I see now naacp when people are out pushing back against it.

:ufdup:

It's only "media sh1t" because the NAACP is involved (not the other way around as you suggest).

They work in silence, you see them out and about when it becomes an issues simply because the organization commands a voice in a way few others do. But please don't buy into the "they only show up when the cameras are around" nonsense perpetuated by those who wish to discredit the organization.

But this shouldn't really be our platform in 2013. Trying to eradicate the usage of the Confederate Flag? We need to move on.

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
the funny thing is the confederate flag only flew officially for like 4 years, but people from the south always want to act like it represents much more than that
I just don't understand why anyone would be prideful for coming from a certain region of the U.S. I understand why the distinction was made during the civil war but it's fukking 2013...If you have pride for being from the south you're probably a grade A retard. Then again, I don't really understand feelings of nationalism at all. I got a friend of mine who is completely normal in all other aspects but he is super patriotic. Dude has an american flag bed spread and tons of american flag t-shirts. I thought he was joking the first few times I met him :heh:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I just don't understand why anyone would be prideful for coming from a certain region of the U.S. I understand why the distinction was made during the civil war but it's fukking 2013...If you have pride for being from the south you're probably a grade A retard. Then again, I don't really understand feelings of nationalism at all. I got a friend of mine who is completely normal in all other aspects but he is super patriotic. Dude has an american flag bed spread and tons of american flag t-shirts. I thought he was joking the first few times I met him :heh:

I always think it's funny when I'm out and about, and there's American flags everywhere. is that in case I forget what country I'm in? :heh:

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
I always think it's funny when I'm out and about, and there's American flags everywhere. is that in case I forget what country I'm in? :heh:
I went to a UFC here in KY (though this same scenario happens at damn near EVERY UFC) and there was a white looking dude fighting some hispanic looking dude and the crowd starting chanting USA I was just like :snoop: neither fighters were from the USA. I've heard Joe Rogan call the crowd out and complain about the USA chants live on air :pachaha:

Everytime I see patriotism it just makes me mad because our country could be so much better if we just adjusted a few things.. unfortunately, with the senate and house, it's damn near impossible to pass anything of real significance and when they do pass a law it's some useless piece of shyt that was backed by a bunch of companies who in turn pay the politicians money for their support. shyt is disgusting.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I really used to think it was funny when the 'hicks' in Massachusetts flew the confederate flag

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches

Actually, the design was in use for about 4 years. The version of the Confederate Flag that is usually kept up and flown was in use for 2 years (1863-1865) and then only as the Confederacy's Navy Jack (quick, what's the US Navy Jack? Actually, don't look for it, it'll piss some of you off). So seeing the flag as some sort of Southern Symbol is just in accord with the usual historical tone-deafness of American Pop Culture.

This situation is dumb all around though. Cowering and praying at the sight of a Confederate Flag is the best media representations of Black Politics can do? Anger at media representations of certain symbols is justified at times, and critique is always necessary, but this is a bit ridiculous.

And I just can't believe that the student council wouldn't think that somebody would get pissed about this. Horrible all around. :snoop:

Brown_Pride

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atheist for Jesus

Not only that but THEY FUKIN LOST.

They keep reppin and taking the L.

I wonder if some germans came in with swastika's and such if they'd had been allowed to have a german pride day. I seriously doubt it.