.༼-◕_◕-༽.

.༼-◕_◕-༽.
Daps
Reppin
Dona Nobis Pacem

“The Black Woman Is God” comes out of the creative genius of artist Karen Seneferu. – Photo: Malaika Kambon

The late Dr. John Henrik Clarke once stated that the rendition by Michaelangelo of “The Creation,” painted on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, is one of the greatest pieces of political propaganda in the world, because Michaelangelo used one of his male relatives as his model for his rendition of what God looks like. Several billion people have seen this painting, either through visits, books, post cards, television and now, via the worldwide web, which implants the idea that God is white and male.

Karen Seneferu and 20 brilliant African women who are visual and performing artists have once again shattered that illusion. Karen, artist, educator and consultant, opened her “The Black Woman is God” exhibit with a February 2013 opening reception at the African American Art and Culture Complex in San Francisco.

A very special highlight at the opening night performance for “The Black Woman Is God” were two very young women dancing “I Rule the World.” – Photo: Malaika Kambon
The reception and performing arts show were vibrant and magnificent! The exhibit personifies everything that Dr. Runoko Rashidi put into words when he said: “In the Black woman I see divinity. If I was going to portray and depict God in human form, the Black woman would be the model.”

“The Black Woman Is God” exhibit examines and questions the idea of seeing the Black woman as a God figure. Artists use materials, forms and iconography that challenge the belief that the image of God is white and male. “This exhibit addresses new representations of the Black female presence as the highest spiritual form, God herself, and challenges the viewers to do the same,” says Seneferu.

Over the course of the next month, the San Francisco Bay View newspaper will feature interviews with and photographs of the artists who participated in this brilliant exhibition, which is already receiving recognition as one that will be welcomed in galleries across the U.S. and globally.

At present, “The Black Woman Is God” exhibition can be seen at the African American Art and Culture Complex. The AAACC is located at 762 Fulton St. in San Francisco’s famed Fillmore District. The Sargent Johnson Gallery on the first floor houses the exhibition, which will be up until May 30. Gallery hours are Tuesdays through Saturdays from 12 noon to 5 p.m.

These photographs are from the reception and the performing artists’ show that comprised the opening night of this exhibit, held in both the Sargent Johnson Gallery and in the AAACC Theatre. See the complete gallery of photographs for “The Black Woman Is God” opening reception at the People’s Eye Photography website.

Some of the 20 visual and performing artists participating in “The Black Woman Is God” opening night gathered for a group photo. – Photo: Malaika Kambon
Participating artists are Adenike Amin, Akua Agusi, Lili Bernard, Chantil Brown, Tracy Brown, Nancy Cato, Nicole Dixon, Michele Elizabeth Lee, Idris Hassan, Reshawn Goode (Bushmama), Bessie Johnson, Nia Jordon, Dana King, Sasha Kelley, Tarika Lewis, Nashormeh Lindo, Ajuan Mance, Sage Stargate, Karen Seneferu, Sabrina Nelson and Blue Wade.

In her work, artist Karen Seneferu enjoys the support of her artist husband, Malik Seneferu. – Photo: Malaika Kambon
Malaika H Kambon is a freelance photojournalist and the 2011 winner of the Bay Area Black Journalists Association Luci S. Williams Houston Scholarship in Photojournalism. She also won the AAU state and national championship in Tae Kwon Do from 2007-2010.

Daps
Reppin
flowerpots
you know
I don't really like the whole black woman is god thing
like I understand the feeling she has, that kind of divine powerful feeling you get from (black) women but as a message I don't like it
black women are regular people
if someone can worship a black woman because a positive feeling, someone else can demonize them because of a negative one and negativity is a lot easier to delve into than positivity
I feel like stuff like that makes it easier for people to strip black women of their humanity
either they're strong independent black queens or evil demonic black bytches, why is it so hard for black women to just be considered women lol

Daps
you know
I don't really like the whole black woman is god thing
like I understand the feeling she has, that kind of divine powerful feeling you get from (black) women but as a message I don't like it
black women are regular people
if someone can worship a black woman because a positive feeling, someone else can demonize them because of a negative one and negativity is a lot easier to delve into than positivity
I feel like stuff like that makes it easier for people to strip black women of their humanity
either they're strong independent black queens or evil demonic black bytches, why is it so hard for black women to just be considered women lol

Yeah. I get phased out with that. With sharp contrasts like that - either evil or insanely good, a person can easily be stripped of their humanity.

.༼-◕_◕-༽.

.༼-◕_◕-༽.
Daps
Reppin
Dona Nobis Pacem
Yeah. I get phased out with that. With sharp contrasts like that - either evil or insanely good, a person can easily be stripped of their humanity.
It's about potential to self actualize than anything else.

Always gotta protect your star player.

People look for love outside themselves, but don't love themselves.

Daps
Reppin
flowerpots
right
thoughts like that make sense but they shouldnt be treated like they're gospel

constantly clashing with a race that does it's best to put itself on the highest level possible in almost all aspects of life seems like it makes black people (and everyone else really lol) see themselves as different, and that being different either turns into being superior or inferior and I hate that we get sucked into that

Daps
It's about potential to self actualize than anything else.

Always gotta protect your star player.

People look for love outside themselves, but don't love themselves.

I know and I grasp where all of this comes from given our history. But I can love myself without seeing myself as a Queen, I don't want to rule over someone else. I don't have that amount of control in life. Sometimes I say for jokes - Gonna treat myself like a Queen today for instance, but I don't actually think like that. It's a similar issue I have with "strong black woman". I possess many great qualities, but I am not so strong that I can carry all burdens. I think these labels lead us to feel shame and disgust when we steer off the track we assume we should be on. I agree with wet landscapes - treat people like human beings, value empathy and even better - compassion. We have these insane expectations of each other as black people, plus the added stress that is Life As A Black Person.

.༼-◕_◕-༽.

.༼-◕_◕-༽.
Daps
Reppin
Dona Nobis Pacem
I know and I grasp where all of this comes from given our history. But I can love myself without seeing myself as a Queen, I don't want to rule over someone else. I don't have that amount of control in life. Sometimes I say for jokes - Gonna treat myself like a Queen today for instance, but I don't actually think like that. It's a similar issue I have with "strong black woman". I possess many great qualities, but I am not so strong that I can carry all burdens. I think these labels lead us to feel shame and disgust when we steer off the track we assume we should be on. I agree with wet landscapes - treat people like human beings, value empathy and even better - compassion. We have these insane expectations of each other as black people, plus the added stress that is Life As A Black Person.
Loving yourself... means loving yourself.

Self actualized means making your dreams come true.

Taking care of other people makes you a SLAVE.

Imagine what we could be of we flexed our OWN power instead of living for everyone else, their demands and expectations.

If you're protecting YOUR STAR PLAYER, you're not getting used and abused.

You're not working yourself to death on a job you hate.

You're not married to a man that doesn't respect you.

It's about raising the image by which we see ourselves in a world which attempts and focuses on creating negative images of us EVERY SINGLE DAY.

It's about being free.

I use METAPHORS (which go over 99.9999% of people's heads), but the essence of the message HAS NOT CHANGED.

That woman taking care of everyone EXCEPT herself isn't strong, she's stupid.

If you don't treat yourself well NO ONE ELSE WILL.

Look at our sisters out here that don't understand this self love.

I used ART/metaphor to convey a clear message.

ART is NOT always literal. Sometimes you have to connect the dots.

.༼-◕_◕-༽.

.༼-◕_◕-༽.
Daps
Reppin
Dona Nobis Pacem
Loving yourself... means loving yourself.

Self actualized means making your dreams come true.

Taking care of other people makes you a SLAVE.

Imagine what we could be of we flexed our OWN power instead of living for everyone else, their demands and expectations.

If you're protecting YOUR STAR PLAYER, you're not getting used and abused.

You're not working yourself to death on a job you hate.

You're not married to a man that doesn't respect you.

It's about raising the image by which we see ourselves in a world which attempts and focuses on creating negative images of us EVERY SINGLE DAY.

It's about being free.

I use METAPHORS (which go over 99.9999% of people's heads), but the essence of the message HAS NOT CHANGED.

That woman taking care of everyone EXCEPT herself isn't strong, she's stupid.

If you don't treat yourself well NO ONE ELSE WILL.

Look at our sisters out here that don't understand this self love.

I used ART/metaphor to convey a clear message.

ART is NOT always literal. Sometimes you have to connect the dots.

View media item 5231