Arum: Spence Doesn't Want Crawford; We're Ready When He Is

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

All Star
Daps

by Keith Idec

LAS VEGAS – Bob Arum claims Errol Spence Jr. is saying everything except what he really means.

Every time Spence speaks about him and Terence Crawford residing on different sides of a proverbial promotional street, it further reinforces to the Hall-of-Fame promoter that Spence wants no part of Crawford at any point soon. A welterweight title unification bout between Spence (24-0, 21 KOs), the IBF champion, and Crawford (33-0, 24 KOs), the WBO champion, is one of the most intriguing boxing matches that can be made.

Arum, whose company promotes Crawford, still doesn’t think it’ll happen in the foreseeable future because Spence doesn’t want to test himself against Crawford.

“Spence, the genius, [said], ‘Well, we’re on one side of the street, he’s on the other side,’ ” Arum told BoxingScene.com during a recent interview. “That’s a guy that doesn’t wanna fight Crawford. Any time he’s ready to fight Crawford, we’ll make that fight. We’ll make it happen.”

The 28-year-old Spence emphasized in the immediate aftermath of Shawn Porter’s unanimous-decision victory over Danny Garcia that he is more interested in 147-pound title unification fights with Porter (29-2-1, 17 KOs), who won the vacant WBC title by beating Garcia on September 8 at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center, and Keith Thurman (28-0, 22 KOs, 1 NC), whenever the often-injured WBA champion returns. If the strong southpaw can beat Porter and Thurman, it would make his pay-per-view fight against Crawford a bigger event.

Arum’s Top Rank Inc. has a content partnership with ESPN, but he said that won’t prevent Spence-Crawford from happening. He has no problem working with Showtime, the network that showcases Spence, on a joint pay-per-view venture whenever Spence is ready to make that fight.

“Eventually I think I’ll be able to make a Spence fight because the money will be so big and we’ll be reasonable, and we’ll share things and everything,” Arum said. “I’m not gonna play games anymore. I mean, we have a real trust that we’ve been given by ESPN. And not be boxing schmucks anymore, to put on real events in boxing for the public. And if that means sharing or doing a deal, we’re prepared to do that. Nobody wants selfishness anymore.”

Crawford, meanwhile, is scheduled make a voluntary defense of his WBO 147-pound championship against Phoenix’s Jose Benavidez Jr. (27-0, 18 KOs) on October 13 at CHI Health Center in Omaha, Nebraska, Crawford’s hometown.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
I think it would be too early to make the Spence-Crawford matchup anyway. I think the two should try to clean the rest of the division and fight in about a year or two.

Daps
I think it would be too early to make the Spence-Crawford matchup anyway. I think the two should try to clean the rest of the division and fight in about a year or two.

How are they going to clean up the division when nobody in the division wants to fight either of them?

Keith "I sneezed and it injured my hand" Thurman is calling out Conor McGregor and looking to fight Zab Judah in his return.
Shawn "I was for it (fight with Spence) before I was against it" Porter is looking for a rematch with Danny Garcia.
Manny "Got to pay those tax bills" Pacquiao is looking for a rematch against Floyd.

Perfectson

Banned
Daps
why is this even posted. Arum himself said Spence/Bud in late 2019. Bud has a fight coming up and probably will fight at least oncce again early 2019 and same as Spence. I think it's logical for Spence to go after Thurman or Porter, which is the next jump for him. Crawford is a bit light but has the class, so it's a cool fight on paper.

what i found stranger is that Arum is keeping Crawford and Lomanchenko , a more obvious matchup being that Lomo is technically around the same class and weight as Crawford and is competing in the same division Crawford was out just 2 years ago. Arum not wanting to put his top guys in is the real issue.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
why is this even posted. Arum himself said Spence/Bud in late 2019. Bud has a fight coming up and probably will fight at least oncce again early 2019 and same as Spence. I think it's logical for Spence to go after Thurman or Porter, which is the next jump for him. Crawford is a bit light but has the class, so it's a cool fight on paper.

what i found stranger is that Arum is keeping Crawford and Lomanchenko , a more obvious matchup being that Lomo is technically around the same class and weight as Crawford and is competing in the same division Crawford was out just 2 years ago. Arum not wanting to put his top guys in is the real issue.
Loma vs Crawford? Say what? Lol

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
The whole "other side of the street" stuff did seem like preemptive excuse making. Arum and Haymon have worked together before, the fight can get made if both sides really want it.