As children, are we obligated to take care of our parents?

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
I would never consider letting someone not family taking care of my parents in old age

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Its in our culture to take care of our parents when they get older. Besides that, without all that cultural bias in me, I do feel that I am obligated to take care of my parents because of the parental love I have for them. I wouldn't feel comfortable with them withering away at a nursing home unless they can do it better than me as someone mentioned. They're your parents, why would you just cast them aside.

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lemongrass, cherries, alkaline water
peep this, almost made a nikka shed a tear when i read it :to:

2646ira.jpg

My dear girl, the day you see I'm getting old, I ask you to please be patient, but most of all, try to understand what I'm going through. If when we talk, I repeat the same thing a thousand times, don't interrupt to say: "You said the same thing a minute ago"... Just listen, please. Try to remember the times when you were little and I would read the same story night after night until you would fall asleep.

When I don't want to take a bath, don't be mad and don't embarrass me. Remember when I had to run after you making excuses and trying to get you to take a shower when you were just a girl?

When you see how ignorant I am when it comes to new technology, give me the time to learn and don't look at me that way ... remember, honey, I patiently taught you how to do many things like eating appropriately, getting dressed, combing your hair and dealing with life's issues every day... the day you see I'm getting old, I ask you to please be patient, but most of all, try to understand what I'm going through.

If I occasionally lose track of what we're talking about, give me the time to remember, and if I can't, don't be nervous, impatient or arrogant. Just know in your heart that the most important thing for me is to be with you.

And when my old, tired legs don't let me move as quickly as before, give me your hand the same way that I offered mine to you when you first walked. When those days come, don't feel sad... just be with me, and understand me while I get to the end of my life with love. I'll cherish and thank you for the gift of time and joy we shared. With a big smile and the huge love I've always had for you, I just want to say, I love you ... my darling daughter.

Original text in Spanish and photo by Guillermo Peña.
Translation to English by Sergio Cadena

9aocv7.jpg

Sandy_Cheeks

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Yeah, your parents raised you, it's your job to do the same when they're no longer able to care for themselves.

I feel you, but I didn't ask to be here :manny:

one of my parents (my father) is SOL since he didnt raise me, and I would help my mom but from a distance. I would help her in any way I can as long as I dont have to live with her. :lupe:

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
I feel you, but I didn't ask to be here :manny:

one of my parents (my father) is SOL since he didnt raise me, and I would help my mom but from a distance. I would help her in any way I can as long as I dont have to live with her. :lupe:

I agree if it wasn't reciprocated. I didn't have the greatest relationship with my mother growing up, but it's better now and she put me through grad school when I really needed tuition and she's made a lot of sacrifices for me. I don't live with my mother either, and I haven't since I was a teen, but I try to help her as best I can. It's something enforced in her culture anyway.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Naturally it's going to be dependent on the nature of your relationship with them AND if you're able to. If you can, do it! but if you can't you shouldn't feel bad either.

Raava

Staff member
Daps
I feel like yes if they took care of you and made sacrificing for you. I feel obligated. Even if we didn't have the best of relationships I still couldn't leave them in a bad situation. I am talking about with health issues, money is a whole different ball game. I know some people whose parents are draining them dry because of their financial irresponsibility. I think that is a selfish burden to put on your kids.

My grandmother has Alzheimer's right now she is akin to a toddler(strength of an adult), but instead of having the capacity to learn she is regressing. Almost everything has to be done, and it is always a fight because she doesn't understand we are just trying to take care of her. My moms parents had six children, only 2 doing anything. My mother is making the most sacrifice and I took a leave of absence to help her M-F. She was the most independent out of all the kids. She didn't ask her parents for anything. Yet the children that my Memommie did the most for are ghost. I can't wait for that Karma... How selfish can you be to just abandon your own mother who took care of you...

Diondon

Thanks to the lawyers uh, I marbled the foyer
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere tropic...
Yes to a point. If caring for a bed ridden, sick elderly person is too overwhelming, by all means seek professional help. Especially if you don't live with them.