At $249 per day, prison stays leave ex-inmates deep in debt

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
I think I heard about this policy before, but it sounded so ridiculous I forgot. I had several close friends who got caught up in the system in the 80's and 90's. They never mentioned anything like this when they got released. I wonder if they could still go after them, or if they're even aware of this. I couldn't imagine the judicial system going after their parents house back when they got out. If that was the case, then half the people on my old block would have lost their houses, since almost everybody had an offspring that did time, mostly for drugs.

I knew one brother who was in and out since elementary school. He practically grew up in reform school. Then he spent most of his adulthood in prison. Ironically, out of all the brothers on the block who got caught up, he turned his life around the most. He keeps a job, and have his own apartment in DC. He said not coming back on the block did the trick. I think hearing that I relocated to Atlanta motivated him, although we wounded up in two different worlds, especially in adulthood. I brought him up because when you think about the fact that they could charge you for every day of your sentence, this brother would probably owe in the millions. But this policy probably wasn't on the books back then...I don't know.

But you know what's even more messed up? Doing time when you were innocent, then having to pay back all that money. It's enough to make you wanna get out this country why you can.

Last edited:

b_b

All Star
Supporter
Daps
That's absolutely insane, I had no idea they did shyt like that. That needs to be banned and they need to give these people restitution for fleecing their pockets after they paid their debt to society (with time!!!). What the fukk. If it's finn abe like that then let people choose. Either time or money, not fukkin both!!!!