Religion/Spirituality Atheism and the black community...good read

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
my point,as i said, was if they can find their niche, u can too

thats only after 20+ years of aggressively encouraging each other to "come out" so their social circle and the rest of society will stop judging them and accept them for being who they are... and even with that, it still remains a highly sensitive subject. these nfl players are supposedly coming out together but we'll see if that actually happens. and if it doesn't happen, you don't have to wonder why.

we're on the internet right now coming out about atheism and freethought and nikkas can't tolerate it :snoop: i can only imagine the reaction to a similar campaign in the real world

Will Ross

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
If you guys are have issues getting women it's not because you don't believe in god. It's because you want to down the people that do believe in god. what is funny to me is you guys do the same thing you claim religious people do to you. Nobody on the coli is making come to my church threads. but it's a thousand god is not real or religious people are stupid threads.

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
as far as dogma stifling the black community...idk..as a whole, we've been kind of an unprincipled "anything goes" collective for some time now. and it hasnt resulted in anything good lol

I totaly disagree with that. I think the black community for the most part is very rigid and conformist, though is has gotten better in the last few years. Often peoples' blackness is called into question when they express thoughts or do things considered outside what is normative. When I was in college, I used to get sideways reactions and comments questioning my blackness because for a while, I wanted to pursue a career an education in marine biology, and that's not something deemed as a black peoples' interest.

There are historical reasons for this conformity and rigidness of defined identity. When you're systematically oppressed, a back against the wall type of cultural and spiritual solidarity based on commonality of struggle develops. But that can ultimately be a hindrance toward true liberation in today's world. But I do see it changing.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
I wouldn't say I'm completely atheist since I don't know either way. I will say that I'm definitely never going to take any religion seriously other than using them for stories and shyt. Like it baffles me how a person can believe wholeheartedly that their preferred deity is the only correct one and all others are going to hell. Its preposterous. Luckily I'm a pretty chill person so when people find out they usually don't care. I fukked religious girls and been around ones that do some shyt they should be damnable to hell but they still claim they love god completely. Its all bullshyt.

On the topic of the black community and religion that one kills me. We get brung over here in chains with no hope. So they show us white jesus and indoctrinate us with it to further chain our minds. That if we are good slaves we get to stop our suffering and go to heaven. So you pretty much have generations of black people with no other goal in life other than survive and go to white jesus's heaven. It was dastardly and immensely intelligent of those fukking slavers to do. The problem is that those effects are still being felt today. The evangelical way is so ingrained in our culture that many have forgot where those beliefs even originated from. torture, brainwashing, and desperation. And this is the faith we choose to embrace. Whenever I bring this up no one really feels it strangely but its all truth. Hell I've been to african christian churches and its like "even they don't know better"?

its sad. fukk groceries my nikkas, lets give reverend a new escalade.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Dope article, haven't fully read through the thread yet. Sorry if my points come off rather repetitive.

Currently I'm agnostic, due to a few controversial issues, which made me entirely question organized religion. A little background information: My dad isn't really religious, but he'll go to church and what not, for special occasions, but I doubt he really cares about the message per se. My mom is kind of religious but not over the top. My brother isn't religious at all, but he believes in some type of higher entity, certainly not "organized" religion.

Growing up as a youngster, I was a rather troubled youth, always getting suspended from school, getting caught hooking up in the bathrooms / afterschool, and an overall overly aggressive adolescence. After nearly getting set away to juvenile hall, for ambushing and assaulting a follow peer of mine, my mom decided to have me home schooled me for the rest of middle school. Upon doing so, many times I thought about running away, then presumably joining a gang, it seemed like a viable lifestyle at the time. But I never fully mustered up the courage. Eventually my mom started taking me to church, where I was able to interact with a new set of peers. The pastor was awesome and always did a great job of trying to bring relevance from the bible into an everyday setting. But, prior to this, I had never fully attended church on a consistent basis.

After getting acquainted with going to youth group on Wednesdays, and church on Sunday's, my aggression gradually withered away. As I transitioned into a teenager, my awareness about certain church tendencies began to heighten. Church was a cornerstone of the black community. It had all types of Black and Hispanic people from a barrage of incomes congregating in one place. The social hierarchy clearly favored the more affluent members. This became more apparent certain external social gatherings deliberately excluded people from lower / fixed incomes.

Rumors began to spread about "several" prominent figures in the church committing acts of adultery. Soon I began to notice the hypocrisy in many of the members. Church reflected more of a gossip and fashion show rather then the actual message.

I'm no exception from this proclamation either. I've made it no secret, my sole reason constantly attending church during my teenage years revolved around the infamous hook ups between my female peers and I. From youth camps to regular Sundays, there were always hooking up going on. We sneak away before, after and during church :manny:.

Fast forward to college, one of my first course was an AA studies class. I began to trivialize why AA are so deeply devout Christians, when Christianity was forced upon us. On one hand it led to our freedom, certain rights and privileges but on the other hand, it practically justified the enslavement, rape and torture of so many people. Shortly after taking this course I took a break attending church. Interestingly enough, I’ve come to find many of my AA peers in college aren’t remotely religious either.

Currently I haven't attended church in about 3 years, but I'll stop by once and a while to help out with the food pantry, when I'm not too pressed for time. I used wonder why some of the peeps, in the food pantry didn't attend church, despite being respectful and courteous people. Maybe I'll go back in the future or stay a stray. Right now isn't the time...

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
a lot of religious people are not conscious of the seemingly obvious fact that telling people they are going to hell, are demonic, or are not really black is actually very disrespectful and will get you some disrespectful responses. this then causes some of these religious people to be genuinely hurt and feel oppressed because really, being in the majority makes you blind to the struggles of others if you are not aware of this phenomenon. then both brehs are left with hostile attitudes about the other side. it's sad, but it seems that it actually has to happen this way due to the nature of intolerant, monotheistic religions. their ultimate goal is to win converts, maintain cohesion, and marginalize opposition, whether the average believer understands this or not.

im sympathetic to the fact that in order to be a christian, you kinda have to believe that other people are going to hell, are living wrong, are worshiping the wrong thing, that your book has all the answers of the universe, and that everybody should be happy to hear this from you. i really am sympathetic to this since i used to be one, but just know that a negative response to that kind of rhetoric is also very natural. it is not oppression, and it is not even evidence of an effort or movement against you per se, it may just be a symptom of telling people really negative and hostile things with a smile on your face and the tone of righteousness in your voice.

another thing, if you make empirical or rational clams based on biblical knowledge, it is not oppression for people to want to hold the claim to the same scrutiny other empirical, or rational claims are held to. that is just the convention of those ways of thinking. if your claims remain faith-based, those conventions wont apply.

but if you take only one thing from this, brehs, just put yourself in other people's shoes as many times as you possibly can. im not perfect at this, but i do try and i feel it has helped me a lot intellectually.

froggle

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dope article, haven't fully read through the thread yet. Sorry if my points come off rather repetitive.

Currently I'm agnostic, due to a few controversial issues, which made me entirely question organized religion. A little background information: My dad isn't really religious, but he'll go to church and what not, for special occasions, but I doubt he really cares about the message per se. My mom is kind of religious but not over the top. My brother isn't religious at all, but he believes in some type of higher entity, certainly not "organized" religion.

Growing up as a youngster, I was a rather troubled youth, always getting suspended from school, getting caught hooking up in the bathrooms / afterschool, and an overall overly aggressive adolescence. After nearly getting set away to juvenile hall, for ambushing and assaulting a follow peer of mine, my mom decided to have me home schooled me for the rest of middle school. Upon doing so, many times I thought about running away, then presumably joining a gang, it seemed like a viable lifestyle at the time. But I never fully mustered up the courage. Eventually my mom started taking me to church, where I was able to interact with a new set of peers. The pastor was awesome and always did a great job of trying to bring relevance from the bible into an everyday setting. But, prior to this, I had never fully attended church on a consistent basis.

After getting acquainted with going to youth group on Wednesdays, and church on Sunday's, my aggression gradually withered away. As I transitioned into a teenager, my awareness about certain church tendencies began to heighten. Church was a cornerstone of the black community. It had all types of Black and Hispanic people from a barrage of incomes congregating in one place. The social hierarchy clearly favored the more affluent members. This became more apparent certain external social gatherings deliberately excluded people from lower / fixed incomes.

Rumors began to spread about "several" prominent figures in the church committing acts of adultery. Soon I began to notice the hypocrisy in many of the members. Church reflected more of a gossip and fashion show rather then the actual message.

I'm no exception from this proclamation either. I've made it no secret, my sole reason constantly attending church during my teenage years revolved around the infamous hook ups between my female peers and I. From youth camps to regular Sundays, there were always hooking up going on. We sneak away before, after and during church :manny:.

Fast forward to college, one of my first course was an AA studies class. I began to trivialize why AA are so deeply devout Christians, when Christianity was forced upon us. On one hand it led to our freedom, certain rights and privileges but on the other hand, it practically justified the enslavement, rape and torture of so many people. Shortly after taking this course I took a break attending church. Interestingly enough, I’ve come to find many of my AA peers in college aren’t remotely religious either.

Currently I haven't attended church in about 3 years, but I'll stop by once and a while to help out with the food pantry, when I'm not too pressed for time. I used wonder why some of the peeps, in the food pantry didn't attend church, despite being respectful and courteous people. Maybe I'll go back in the future or stay a stray. Right now isn't the time...

And I think in speaking with a lot of non-believers who grew up in the church, this is part of the gripe. But what I have realized for myself is that these people are humans and c'mon, humans mess up. It takes a serious conviction to be a Christian and not a fly by night one that you see in the majority of churches.

:whoo: It's interesting reading this thread and seeing the views, because where I am, Christianity is deeply ingrained and it is normal for me to be around "Real Christians" as well as the ones who fake the funk.

but I will continue to observe

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
when it comes to "real christians", in my personal experience, jehovah's witnesses seemed more serious (though they still had some hilarious shenanigans)

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
If you guys are have issues getting women it's not because you don't believe in god. It's because you want to down the people that do believe in god. what is funny to me is you guys do the same thing you claim religious people do to you. Nobody on the coli is making come to my church threads. but it's a thousand god is not real or religious people are stupid threads.

:comeon: here we go with this bullshyt again. its perfectly fine for believers to evangelize and profess their faith in the real world, but to speak your mind as a nonbeliever on an online messageboard-- mostly BECAUSE of the fact that there's so few like-minded people out there-- is unacceptable. we can't speak in the real world, we can't speak online... i feel like cats like you just want us to be quiet so we can remain invisible.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
And I think in speaking with a lot of non-believers who grew up in the church, this is part of the gripe. But what I have realized for myself is that these people are humans and c'mon, humans mess up. It takes a serious conviction to be a Christian and not a fly by night one that you see in the majority of churches.

:whoo: It's interesting reading this thread and seeing the views, because where I am, Christianity is deeply ingrained and it is normal for me to be around "Real Christians" as well as the ones who fake the funk.

Well yeah I realized that over time. It's clear to me especially now. It's why some muslim countries are sohh anal about women talking or even looking at males, because the potential for human sexual relations to occur.

What I can't look past is christianity, being a religion that was imposed onto us. :ufdup:

:beli:

Last edited by a moderator:

intilectual recipricol

Killin fake hip hop
Daps
Reppin
The Brook

What is a "Real Christian"?

Sounds like a "No True Scottsman" Fallacy to me...

Will Ross

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
:comeon: here we go with this bullshyt again. its perfectly fine for believers to evangelize and profess their faith in the real world, but to speak your mind as a nonbeliever on an online messageboard-- mostly BECAUSE of the fact that there's so few like-minded people out there-- is unacceptable. we can't speak in the real world, we can't speak online... i feel like cats like you just want us to be quiet so we can remain invisible.

What is the point of having a view on something if you are scared to share that view? You want to make disrepactful threads about religious people online but fear saying it to them in person.

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
What is the point of having a view on something if you are scared to share that view? You want to make disrepactful threads about religious people online but fear saying it to them in person.

if you can point me to the thread i made on religious people, hell, on religion at all i'd gladly concede but it just doesn't exist. its only 2 or 3 people that are actually on here making threads about religious people, specifically. the rest are about religion itself. it doesn't matter either way though, because you clearly take it as a personal attack. once again, its perfectly fine for religious people to speak their mind, but for nonbelievers its wrong. i doubt you've even read thru this thread cause if you did you'd see the majority isn't bashing religion, but talking about their personal experience in being honest about it with family/friends and the reaction they've received. or what caused them to fall away... i'll say it again though, i feel like cats like you just want us to be quiet and remain invisible. :yeshrug:

ltheghost

Payin Debts.... N40
Daps
Reppin
Japan, but from the 989
I've been a Black Agnostic for almost a decade now and its only because I want to learn more about different cultures. Since I do a lot of travelling, having a clear mind when entering someone's Church, Mosque, or Synagogue I learn a lot. Doesn't mean I believe what they are saying or preaching its just interesting to me. I'm still searching for my own truths when it comes to God so the journey continues. It all may just be hope that something is out there creating the universe or we are just a lucky happening in the cosmos. But I don't think of God as a Earth-specific thing. I'm looking out at the millions or billions of stars out there that essentially have the same elements in them as we have in our own bodies. Or how the atoms in our cells when observed look like sun and the planets rotating it on a micro level. Is it all designed? Oh knows. I just can't accept the limited views on God just on this planet. I'm looking for more.

froggle

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What is a "Real Christian"?

Sounds like a "No True Scottsman" Fallacy to me...

Who lives the life following the word. They not only worship the Lord the way they should, but also are the ones who are helping the least fortunate. People who dedicate their life and ministry to the dregs of society. The poorest of the poor, people locked up, the elderly etc. Take out the politics and all the other madness and even if they believe in the so called "fairy tales" they should be leading an exemplary life.

What happens though is everybody feels as if they are right. :skip: PS3 > Xbox, Iphone > Android, Nas > Jay-z, Kobe > Lebron etc etc and these stans are what gives anything a bad name. It is jarring and that is where strife develops because mine is better than yours.