ATL heads: How cool was it to have prime Mike Vick as y'all QB?

broller

Veteran
Daps

Watchin this video and I was just thinkin how fukking cool Mike Vick was as a baller, as a black QB, as a fukkin phenom

And that's to me in Miami and I ain't even ADOS.

Imagine that shyt is super prideful given the history of the league and shyt.

That shyt had to be to ATL what Jeremy Lin was to ChinaTown

I feel if a black player with Vick's talents and marketability became the best QB in the league he'd be up there with the top basketball player in terms of popularity in America. To be the best, black and not biracial in America's most revered position would be dope.

broller

Veteran
Daps
The city just embraced him like crazy. He just fit that era of what Atlanta was, it was BMF, it was Crunk/Trap Music taking off, he just represented that fly, flashy, fast money lifestyle and that’s why people gravitated towards him. He really represented the city b/c above all else Atlanta is a football city and he was everyone’s favorite player.

When he got jammed up I can’t tell you how hurt people around here was. It was like a family member had caught a charge, it affected us like that. A lot of people were (and still are) mad the Falcons didn’t stick with him after the dogfighting shyt came out (I wasn’t b/c he had lied to Blank about what he was doing/knew; I still believe if he had been honest he would’ve been a Falcon for life). Atlanta will always love Mike Vick, he’s a true icon for the city

Imagine he had been honest and ATL decided to pass on Ryan because Vick was coming home in 2009...His return to the dome would have been something else.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Probably my favorite moment as an Atlanta sports fan outside of winning a title. Every game was must see. Exciting. Vick could win you any game, could lose em too but it was such an amazing ride. Ideally, he isn't someone I want as a franchise QB at my current age but as a teen, he was the GOAT to me and many in the city and the state. White fans outside of the young ones never embraced Vick and was calling him names every step of the way. They hated him but they wasn't at the dome and if they were, they shut the fukk or got knocked out. I was at that amazing game when he returned to the dome with the Eagles. We chanted for Vick. He came in and did his thing. A lot of cacs got knocked the fukk out in the dome. Some said the n word and got that WORK! It was the right type of civil war. Since most of security was Black. They were cool with us whooping cacs asses. I wish some of those pussies from TATF were there like pulitik, I would have cracked his skull. Probably one of the greatest days of my life that ain't super personal.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Imagine he had been honest and ATL decided to pass on Ryan because Vick was coming home in 2009...His return to the dome would have been something else.
While I was one of the ones cool with the Ryan pick and I understood it. A part of me wanted us to wait for Vick to return. I was one of the many who felt he got a tough break on some bullshyt like some dogs which cacs do it all of the time where we are from and they don't get shyt but you know how cacs are with nikkas. Everything we do is a big fukking deal.

Daps
There was an aura around dude. The swag, confidence and he backed it up with his gameplay.
Maybe because I’m an adult now, but these athletes just don’t have it anymore (everything just seems so contrived and forced)

Last edited:

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Lets be honest tho Matt Ryan is a white bread mayonnaise salesman who lives in North Georgia, he has zero connection with the city. Acuna isn’t fluent in English and Trae, I’ve seen him in Buckhead but he hasn’t done anything to be the man in the city yet.

But yea Vick was out, you felt like you could actually touch him. Plus he kicked it from everybody Tip to Andrew Young. To your point he was actually out here
I doubt we will ever get a QB like Vick again. Fields ain't that type of dude and Lance is a Russell Wilson type personality-wise. He's clearly Black and knows it but he's someone that could swing for a good Black chick or white chick. If he has a lot of success, the city will embrace him no matter what. Fields kinda got an adv being local, got the right swag, but he's a suburban cat. The hood nikkas have no shot of getting close to him. I can see Migos fukking with him like they do Trae but that's about it. To be honest, Ryan does well with the burbs. A lot better than Vick did. Lance, Wilson, and Fields could do better with the burbs because they want dynamicism which Ryan lacks but outside of Atlanta, cacs love Matt. They see their lame asses in him. Hall Co and Forsyth cacs for example.

broller

Veteran
Daps
Probably my favorite moment as an Atlanta sports fan outside of winning a title. Every game was must see. Exciting. Vick could win you any game, could lose em too but it was such an amazing ride. Ideally, he isn't someone I want as a franchise QB at my current age but as a teen, he was the GOAT to me and many in the city and the state. White fans outside of the young ones never embraced Vick and was calling him names every step of the way. They hated him but they wasn't at the dome and if they were, they shut the fukk or got knocked out. I was at that amazing game when he returned to the dome with the Eagles. We chanted for Vick. He came in and did his thing. A lot of cacs got knocked the fukk out in the dome. Some said the n word and got that WORK! It was the right type of civil war. Since most of security was Black. They were cool with us whooping cacs asses. I wish some of those pussies from TATF were there like pulitik, I would have cracked his skull. Probably one of the greatest days of my life that ain't super personal.

:russ::banderas:

For real though. I remember watching a game in Charlotte and you could tell the middle aged cacs were :mjpls::hhh: about Cam.

bxrfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Memphis Grizzlies/Auburn Tigers
I feel if a black player with Vick's talents and marketability became the best QB in the league he'd be up there with the top basketball player in terms of popularity in America. To be the best, black and not biracial in America's most revered position would be dope.

I doubt we will ever get a QB like Vick again. Fields ain't that type of dude and Lance is a Russell Wilson type personality-wise. He's clearly Black and knows it but he's someone that could swing for a good Black chick or white chick. If he has a lot of success, the city will embrace him no matter what. Fields kinda got an adv being local, got the right swag, but he's a suburban cat. The hood nikkas have no shot of getting close to him. I can see Migos fukking with him like they do Trae but that's about it. To be honest, Ryan does well with the burbs. A lot better than Vick did. Lance, Wilson, and Fields could do better with the burbs because they want dynamicism which Ryan lacks but outside of Atlanta, cacs love Matt. They see their lame asses in him. Hall Co and Forsyth cacs for example.

I feel like Cam came the closest to being this, 2015 had white folks sweating bullets. I really believe if he won that Super Bowl there would've been a huge cultural shift that mainstream America did NOT want to happen.

But yeah, Mahomes, Wilson, Watson etc. They do a great job showing the different types of black qbs but all of them are seen as "safe". Lamar's really the only relevant black qb in the league who's got that aura, that's why white folks want him to fail so bad

broller

Veteran
Daps
I feel like Cam came the closest to being this, 2015 had white folks sweating bullets. I really believe if he won that Super Bowl there would've been a huge cultural shift that mainstream America did NOT want to happen.

But yeah, Mahomes, Wilson, Watson etc. They do a great job showing the different types of black qbs but all of them are seen as "safe". Lamar's really the only relevant black qb in the league who's got that aura, that's why white folks want him to fail so bad

Big facts. Cam wasn't playing the "right" way so it would have been something if he reached the mountain top playing/celebrating that way. You know that if he had won, the goalposts would have been moved to "Well you can't win multiple rings that way :mjpls:"