'BABYLON'—the South London Film Finally Making Its U.S. Debut After 39 Years

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)

Couple snippets from the article:
The film made its world premiere at Cannes in 1980 but was "too controversial, likely to incite racial tension" for big screens in the States—until this week.
--
Raw and smoldering, it follows a young dancehall DJ (Brinsley Forde, frontman of landmark British reggae group Aswad) in South London as he pursues his musical ambitions, battling fiercely against the racism and xenophobia of employers, neighbors, police, and the National Front.

Watch the Trailer for 'BABYLON'—the South London Film Finally Making Its U.S. Debut After 39 Years

Anybody seen or familiar with this film? I'm genuinely interested in seeing what was so bad that they feared us being angered beyond our own specific claims for justice :ehh:

Don't give shyt away tho :whoa: :beli:

hatealot

Banned
Daps
Just finished. It's a pretty good movie. A lil hard to catch some of the patois but them dualities :whoo:

back to your original post, did it incite anything in you that you would think warrant them to blacklist it from US markets?

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
back to your original post, did it incite anything in you that you would think warrant them to blacklist it from US markets?

I don't think so today, but I wasn't even alive in 1980. Like I said, there's a lot of dualities in the disdain among whites back then for black music (the music is on point), black people (the word 'c00n' is thrown around a few times), violence and retaliation, police brutality, poverty and hopelessness, etc.

I think it would've been a lot more dangerous during the black power movement, but I guess those sentiments were still around... Or... They were scared of us connecting on the commonalities of our oppression.

mr x

Superstar
Daps
Official drop tomorrow.

Even though its on youtube.

Article in the link is a good read.

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps
:ohhh: I like old school UK street flicks that shed light on the culture. Have to check this out. Loved Scum, Made in Britain, and the Firm. I don't know what it is about their culture over there, but it fascinates me.