Being Born Poor is like a Disease

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
no disrespect to granny ....but just curious if she had/has life insurance? That's part of being financially literate is to talk with immediate family parents/grand parents about life insurance because that's one of the best and most efficient ways to create a foundation for the next generation...

Being born into poverty is not a choice yes the cards are stacked against you but it's not impossible to get out of. Financial literacy is the key
I've seen so many black families, with a failing near death breadwinner scoff at life insurance. Its sad as fck. Many Old folks still have that superstitious value system from the 60s and prior that believed that buying life insurance will bring an early death or even incentivize family to off you early.:snoop:

Even worse than this is the "I've got mine, so get yours" value system where a grown adult will look at their offspring and knowingly ruin their financial future. This mindset stops life insurance, college saving plans, wills, etc from forming for people who can clearly afford to do so.:beli:

I agree that literacy and knowledge in general are key to breaking the poverty cycle.

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've seen so many black families, with a failing near death breadwinner scoff at life insurance. Its sad as fck. Many Old folks still have that superstitious value system from the 60s and prior that believed that buying life insurance will bring an early death or even incentivize family to off you early.:snoop:

Even worse than this is the "I've got mine, so get yours" value system where a grown adult will look at their offspring and knowingly ruin their financial future. This mindset stops life insurance, college saving plans, wills, etc from forming for people who can clearly afford to do so.:beli:

I agree that literacy and knowledge in general are key to breaking the poverty cycle.
This

invalid

Banned
Daps
This that value system I was telling yall about earlier. The power of that "blue collar proffession" is in nursing's ability to stack shifts and pull OT. Furthermore, most med people from cna to Lpn to bsn get employee education benefits. Ignorance is the only disqualifying factor from them. There is no excuse for an individual nurse to bring in less than 60-75k.

When compared to the avg US black household salary of 42k (whites are averaging only 65k PER household) this is the literal definition of raking in dough. I’ve literally seen nursing and similar blue collar professions pull people straight out of poverty and firmly into the middle class. Can you Imagine a house with 2 nurses? They could easily bring in 100k+ per household.

You make good points. :ehh:

But the middle class is shrinking and the trade-off is the top 20% increasing. So $50-$60k doesn't have the spending power that it had in the past.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
I see it as a knowledge gap. Poverty is a weird state of "not knowing what you you need to know to get out of being poor", if that makes any sense to yall. It's a bunch of unknown, unknowns.

It really is "the trap". It takes some freakish trauma to get out of it. Often times your values are so fcked up by where and how you're born that someone can literally tell you how to get out but it simply doesn't register.:francis:

What do I mean? Most folks even in the hood, are warned about credit, 401k(s), stocks, stem, high paying manual labor, birth control, avoiding student loans, etc at least once in life. But because none of these things register in a poor persons mind, they will often fight against a person telling them it, and will actively do the opposite thing.

Obviously, life circumstances can put you in poverty, but it is entirely on yourself to get out. When traveling abroad I've even seen this dynamic play out in 3rd world countries where the easily available manual labor gigs are ignored and made fun of because of values. I've seen poor black folk in literal slums talking bout "I'm too good for manual labor".:why:

You see the same thing in the US with the utter contempt for trades like plumbing, electricians, and carpentry. And it's all based on values. Nikkas literally don't know that these gigs are something they should know/value.

All facts.

It's not like a disease it is a disease.

Lower quality of life, lower life expectancy, greater disparities in healthcare, greater occurrences of long term health conditions, low aspirations, knowledge gap, you could have the potential to go to a great university and get $100k a year but because no one you know knows anything about the education game, whether it's teaching children an extended vocabulary or playing classical music while their brains are forming, or effective studying or even applying for all scholarships that gap is huge.

So people in poverty are fighting against their own biases and competencies, their own health, a lack of sheer resources and above all the rest of the competition.

How is anyone supposed to rise out of poverty without luck?

Absolutely. The adverse health effects of poverty are very real. And poverty goes way beyond "only" not having enough money in the household. What are the infrastructures in the neighbourhood? Are there enough buses to go to other parts of town? What activities can the kids do in the neighbourhood? Is their a park? Fresh air? What's the impact on mental health? Etc.

Utter fukking ridiculous, some of you cats lack the ability to see beyond you nose real talk.

20180217_WOC744_0.png

You are born poor it takes an extra ordinary special person to climb out of the hole, it takes not 1 not 2 not 3 not 4

5 generations in America to pull the family and yourself out of the hole.

large_nsbkrQG9RNl5SEb6nUJwneT1pXp6T4gsBmB51TCaFAw.png

Came in to bring this up, that it literally takes multiple generations to get out of poverty. People really believe the whole "bootstraps" myth lmao.

The irony is black people on one side fully knowing that white people have become wealthy thanks to generations of enslaving/exploiting black people, yet for some incredibly believing that "hard work" can get them to the same point in a couple decades. That's how strong the ideology is, to the point its main victims defend it.

Jekyll

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Its all about mindset. I didn't know how poor we was growing up because none of my people really put out that energy. I've seen my Ma bring us from living with my grandma, to the projects, to a middle class lifestyle. My grandma moved down to GA with nothing so think about that. It just take a plan.

JoseLuisGotcha

Aka Allhiphopsux
Daps
Reppin
#717 --> #215 #PA #ByrdGang
it really is unless you have people to put you on game and even then your family becomes a crutches if they are not willing to change their mentality :francis:

I’ll never understate the importance of a good mentor on the same token you have to put yourself on

all the information is free and readily available for everyone and anyone ...we just gotta dedicate time to do our own research

like for my business i didn’t know much but i spent 1-2+ hours a day to watch YouTube videos and research now I’m debt free with my own business (aside from student loans and a mortgage)

Last edited:

MaxBundles

Veteran
Daps
She's not poor, the dumb bytch took out multiple student loans to persue 2 different BA's and then nursing school. Her parents fukked up by making her pay bill's as a kid. Kids are left financially illiterate when this happens. When children start working and earning their own money they should be able to buy what they want with their money (within reason and age appropriate). If their parents take some of that money it impairs their judgement on money cuz no 16yr old wants to pay bills. If you dictate any funds from your child's paycheck it should be for savings and or investment.
This has to be the dumbest post of the day