Best Books about the Haitian Revolution?

19-

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
Not a common poster in here, but i figure this is probably the best board for advice on this.

I want to read a good nonfiction book about the Haitian Revolution. Preferably something thats pretty detailed but still narrative.

Not asking for fiction or novels about it but if you have suggestions ill take them :salute:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Not a common poster in here, but i figure this is probably the best board for advice on this.

I want to read a good nonfiction book about the Haitian Revolution. Preferably something thats pretty detailed but still narrative.

Not asking for fiction or novels about it but if you have suggestions ill take them :salute:
frankster gave you the heads up about what is considered the gold standard book about the Haitian Revolution.
I've found articles in history journals, and chapters about it in books about more general topics to be more informative, though. They detail the story in the context of colonial history in the Americas, and how the success impacted the tug of war that the Euro powers were having over territory on the side of the world.

For a general outline of the story, I'd suggest you watch this first.

doc-ayisyen.jpg

It's on youtube for free currently.

When you're done reading the Black Jacobins, look for some of the Haiti history threads here.

• Dap
Reactions: 19-

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
"Avengers of the New World" and "a Concise History of the Haitian Revolution". While you're in that mindset, if you are looking for something else to read after you get through with those materials. Read "The Black Count" by Tom Reiss.

Last edited:

grazazaza

Ruff Draft
Daps
frankster gave you the heads up about what is considered the gold standard book about the Haitian Revolution.
I've found articles in history journals, and chapters about it in books about more general topics to be more informative, though. They detail the story in the context of colonial history in the Americas, and how the success impacted the tug of war that the Euro powers were having over territory on the side of the world.

For a general outline of the story, I'd suggest you watch this first.

doc-ayisyen.jpg

It's on youtube for free currently.

When you're done reading the Black Jacobins, look for some of the Haiti history threads here.
What documentary is this? The image is down

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.