Big K.R.I.T. Off Def Jam

blizzard man

Join the Nintendo Fun Club today!
Daps
Reppin
DC
Why?

It has obviously worked out for a lot of people.

they dont seem to be as in touch these days, thats a recurring theme when you hear about artists and their dealing with def jam. last thing i saw was the YG album, had YG A&R/exec producer not fought so vehemently for how it was constructed, that album prolly woulda come and gone. seems at this point, if someone is doing well on def jam, its prolly because of the artists own team and decisions, and not directly because of def jam at all, but who knows

SoulController

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Almighty Garden State
last tape was real lackluster, musically. im hoping hes still got some juice left in the equipment and puts out a good album. i like KRIT alot

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
wonder what his next move is?

seems like lots of people have problems with def jam and those that can eat are able to do so by having some other label/person get to where they are

YG had Jeezy, Sean and Designner have Good Music.

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
I liked KRIT but it quickly became obvious that he was recycling the same themes and concepts over and over. I can only listen to someone talk waking up in the morning, getting in his car, his sub, candy paint wheels, something happens that causes him to become introspective, he heads to [insert chick] to fukk his troubles away, then the final introspective moments before he goes to bed.
:jbhmm:

And don't get me wrong, I like the mixtapes. R4 Theme Song was on my playlist as I drove to work today. But it feels like he telling the same story with diminishing returns. And now that he can't go ham with the samples? Nah...

Haha...I was thinking the same thing....dude tries to come off deep...but he really talks about old school Chevys.....candy paint...subwoofers....and not laying for p*ssy....while prolly paying

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
Haha...I was thinking the same thing....dude tries to come off deep...but he really talks about old school Chevys.....candy paint...subwoofers....and not laying for p*ssy....while prolly paying
So he is a fake deep rapper cause he has tracks where he raps about cars, and women

that doesn't make sense just because a rapper talks about materialistic things in some of his songs that should not hold against the introspective side of the artist.

If we were to go by that logic then Tupac is not concious or deep as people think he is because all he is talking about is him being a thug... enemies... and him getting shot

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
So he is a fake deep rapper cause he has tracks where he raps about cars, and women

that doesn't make sense just because a rapper talks about materialistic things in some of his songs that should not hold against the introspective side of the artist.

If we were to go by that logic then Tupac is not concious or deep as people think he is because all he is talking about is him being a thug... enemies... and him getting shot

Im saying thats hus formula

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
He wasn't helping himself with those records he was giving them. It felt like he was purposely submitting subpar shyt to the label while giving the real good shyt away for free.

But at the end of the day, as talented as he is, some acts just aren't meant to be huge. Wherever KRIT goes, he just needs to make sure his samples get cleared and his mixtapes become barcoded. Besides that, a label can only do but so much with him
He was trying to create a hit mainstream record which did a deservice to him. He did the typical "I love ugk" all the time.

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
I think Krit has been planning and has been ready for this

on his IG he has been workin alot with WLPWR in his(I assume) studio

not only that but Krit has musicians in there with him recording.

I think he knows that he is going to have to take his production up even higher because those Samples are going to hit his wallet. Now that he is independent.

guy also talked on a podcast about ventures he will be going into and producing for more people.

Last edited:

keepitrealprk

All Star
Daps
Saw this coming awhile back, really since Live From The Underground.

He wasn't suited to be on Def Jam, they had no idea what to do with him.

Going indie will only be a plus for KRIT. He can still sell out 500 cap venues every night if he wants, and do the festival circuit every summer.