Big Pun Had To Pay DMX 5 Racks Losing A Bet On This? Only A Few People Knew About This Bet

Daps
Reppin
NULL

Starts At 1:03:30 Mark

Dj Superior (DMX Dj) Says Big Pun & DMX Had A Bet On Who Album Was Going To Sell More. "It's Dark And Hell Is Hot" Vs "Capital Punishment" Big Pun Lost To DMX & Had To Pay Him 5 Racks.

DarkmanX

All Star
Daps
Daps
BUT, Def Jam also owed X royalty/money, which is why they cleared it cuz RR asked them to audit all the expenses etc and thats when they saw that Def Jam owed.

What I've said consistently before and after X passed away was that he delivered incredible music that resonated with a lot of people. Def Jam machine did what they do, and his LEGION of fans loved X and propelled him to superstardom. His music took off and had staying power because of those fans.

The enormous response from the fans is what made the film studio restart production on Belly, after they pulled the plug. They saw that a star was born.

DarkmanX

All Star
Daps
What I've said consistently before and after X passed away was that he delivered incredible music that resonated with a lot of people. Def Jam machine did what they do, and his LEGION of fans loved X and propelled him to superstardom. His music took off and had staying power because of those fans.

The enormous response from the fans is what made the film studio restart production on Belly, after they pulled the plug. They saw that a star was born.

Word cuz from what ive read they didnt expect him sell that much and become that big being that he was too gritty especially at that time.

I dont even think he did that many #s 1st week on IDAHIH but everything bubbled after it hit the streets

Daps
Word cuz from what ive read they didnt expect him sell that much and become that big being that he was too gritty especially at that time.

I dont even think he did that many #s 1st week on IDAHIH but everything bubbled after it hit the streets
Russ believed in X. If you look, you can even spot him in the Get At Me Dog video.
Def Jam went all out promoting that lead single and his first album with them. It paid off, as he became a megastar.

pawdalaw

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Fayetteville

Double Burger With Cheese

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Sucker's bet

Def Jam was notorious in that era for doing ANYTHING to boost first week album sales, including buying the albums at retail.

It was a suckers bet cause it was no way Pun was gonna outsell DMX regardless of what def jam was doing or not. Cause Pun buzz just wasn’t comparable to the one DMX had. Also, all major labels do the same tricks.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
It was a suckers bet cause it was no way Pun was gonna outsell DMX regardless of what def jam was doing or not. Cause Pun buzz just wasn’t comparable to the one DMX had. Also, all major labels do the same tricks.

Nah, I think Pun was bigger, if not at least on equal footing at that time. Still Not a Player was as huge as Get At Me Dog at the time, perhaps bigger. I don't know the official numbers. Get At Me Dog ended up having more staying power, but early '98 Pun may have had the leverage to make that bet.

With that said, it was still a fool's bet because there was no way DJ was not gonna give X a huge week...and do way more than Loud to ensure so.