Bill Russell is the GOAT (EDIT: Phil Jackson would choose him over Jordan)

Daps
Reppin
NYC
on most of those championship celtic squads russell led the team in rebounds (by a wide margin) but he was usually like 4th or 5th in scoring, 2nd or 3rd in assists.

on the championship bulls teams, jordan always led the team in scoring (by a wide margin), was always 2nd in assists, and about 3rd or 4th in rebounding.

all due respect to russell but scoring is more important than rebounding. the world's best scorer is more valuable than the world's best rebounder.

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This dude made a thread calling as a Celtic homer Bill Russell the GOAT. Not Larry Bird, but fukking Bill Russell. :russ:

I don't think Bill Russell is the greatest ever either, but it's not like he isn't one of the greatest to ever do it. But then again maybe you're just one of the many people on here who lack any knowledge in any NBA history before 1985 :manny:

William F. Russell

11x Champion; 5x MVP; 1st Black Coach
Supporter
Daps
It is but you can't use that as a reason to say he's better:heh: Is West the goat cause he's the NBA logo:usure:

That's one reason out the many I gave.

West being the logo is not an adequate comparison because the NBA would be dumb as hell to change its logo (for business/marketing purposes) for each great superstar. If the league could change its logo without losing brand recognition, I'm sure it would've by now. The Finals MVP trophy was a previously unnamed accolade and the league decided in 2009, out of all of the HOFers that played in the league, to name it after Russell. As explained, the NBA didn't give out a FMVP until Russell's final season. The fact that they named it after Russell (and not the record holder) is very telling. In essence, naming the FMVP trophy after Russell is the league compensating Russell for his years of dominance in the Finals that went uncredited.

Illeye buckmatic

I Don't Stunt I Regulate
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Buckeye State Of Mind
That's one reason out the many I gave.

West being the logo is not an adequate comparison because the NBA would be dumb as hell to change its logo (for business/marketing purposes) for each great superstar. If the league could change its logo without losing brand recognition, I'm sure it would've by now. The Finals MVP trophy was a previously unnamed accolade and the league decided in 2009, out of all of the HOFers that played in the league, to name it after Russell. As explained, the NBA didn't give out a FMVP until Russell's final season. The fact that they named it after Russell (and not the record holder) is very telling. In essence, naming the FMVP trophy after Russell is the league compensating Russell for his years of dominance in the Finals that went uncredited.
What does that have to do with one being better than the other:mindblown:
Nevermind breh:deadrose: I'm gonna let you cook:pachaha:

William F. Russell

Supporter
Daps
on most of those championship celtic squads russell led the team in rebounds (by a wide margin) but he was usually like 4th or 5th in scoring, 2nd or 3rd in assists.

on the championship bulls teams, jordan always led the team in scoring (by a wide margin), was always 2nd in assists, and about 3rd or 4th in rebounding.

all due respect to russell but scoring is more important than rebounding. the world's best scorer is more valuable than the world's best rebounder.

Offense wins games. Defense wins championships. Case in point: Russell and the Boston Celtics.

• Dap
Reactions: Ill

Archangel

Banned
Daps
Bill Russell AT BEST in todays NBA would probably be Marcus Camby/Ben Wallace and thats with todays elite training and conditioning. :camby:

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps

tumblr_m9dp01PCvt1rebysxo1_500.gif

William F. Russell

Supporter
Daps
What does that have to do with one being better than the other:mindblown:
Nevermind breh:deadrose: I'm gonna let you cook:pachaha:

OK, one more time: The FMVP goes to the best individual player of the NBA Finals. The FMVP didn't exist until Russell's final season. Russell went to 12 finals and won 11 championships (mainly because of his play). Jordan, who played long afterwards, became the record-holder with 6 FMVPs. The fact that the NBA (Stern), after both players had long retired, decided to name the trophy after Russell (not Jordan, the record holder) denotes that the league considers Russell the best individual performer in the Finals in the league's history. Otherwise, why wouldn't the record holder have it named after him? Thus, one can easily deduce that had the FMVP trophy existed during Russell's time, he would've won just as many (if not more) than Jordan.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
Offense wins games. Defense wins championships. Case in point: Russell and the Boston Celtics.

bulls were the best defensive team in the league too. 6 rings buddy.

- bill russell walked onto a team that already had bob cousy on it, the league MVP.
- jordan walked onto a bottom feeder. a desolate franchise with no other good players.

i wonder how many rings jordan would have won if the bulls already had moses malone in 84 :patrice:

William F. Russell

Supporter
Daps
bill russell walked onto a team that already had bob cousy on it, the league MVP.

Do you not know that the Celtics never went to the NBA Finals BEFORE Russell joined? When Russell arrived, the Celtics started winning (he won in his rookie year). This is obvious.