Bird Box Sequel Book In October 2019 + Netflix Replacing Train Wreck Footage in Film

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
The 'Bird Box' Sequel Book Will Be Here In October 2019

Bird Box is getting a sequel novel, titled Malorie, which will be out from Penguin Random House's Del Rey Books on October 1, 2019. Author Josh Malerman first published his thriller Bird Box in 2014, but most of us heard about it in December, when Netflix dropped the film adaptation starring Sandra Bullock.

In an interview with Esquire about the sequel novel, Malerman revealed that the book will be set eight years after the original story, and hinted that it will reveal a little more about the creatures behind the story's post-apocalyptic setting as well as digging a little deeper into the psyche of the eponymous protagonist Malorie.

Malerman also discussed the inspiration behind and focus of the sequel, saying, "In the time between Bird Box coming out and the time since I’ve been writing Malorie, I’ve been asked a ton of times: people want to know what happened with Boy and Girl. But as much as I care about Boy and Girl, this isn’t their story. The Bird Box world is Malorie’s story, and I wanted to know more about her. I wanted to get to know her even better. At the end of the movie, I turned to my girl Allison and said, 'I want to know what happens next!' and she’s like, 'Well, you know, you could make that happen,' so it really was this warm feeling." And, he adds, "we get to know both Malorie and the creatures better" in the new book.

Netflix's Bird Box adaptation was a fast-twitch hit within days of its worldwide streaming release on Netflix on December 21, 2018. Its success even spurred Netflix to break its history of ratings silence in order to tease the exact number of accounts that had watched the thriller in the first seven days, tweeting the claim: "Took off my blindfold this morning to discover that 45,037,125 Netflix accounts have already watched Bird Box — best first 7 days ever for a Netflix film!"

The claim was backed up by Neilson, which reported 26 million viewers in the U.S. alone in the film's first week. Netflix later revealed additional viewing data, saying that 80 million Netflix-subscribing households saw Bird Box during its first four weeks on the video streaming service.

This image released by Netflix shows Sandra Bullock in a scene from the film, "Bird Box." Netflix will remove footage of a real fiery train disaster from its hit post-apocalyptic survival film "Bird Box" months after the streaming giant was criticized for exploiting a tragedy. The stock footage was taken from a 2013 crash in the Quebec town of Lac-Megantic when a train carrying crude oil came off the tracks and exploded into a massive ball of fire, killing 47 people. (Saeed Adyani/Netflix via AP)
NEW YORK (AP) — Netflix will remove footage of a real fiery train disaster from its hit post-apocalyptic survival film “Bird Box” months after the streaming giant was criticized for exploiting a tragedy.

The stock footage was taken from a 2013 crash in the Quebec town of Lac-Megantic when a train carrying crude oil came off the tracks and exploded into a massive ball of fire, killing 47 people.

Netflix licensed the footage from the stock image vendor Pond 5 and used it in “Bird Box” in an early TV news montage. The Sandra Bullock-led thriller is about monstrous entities that compel any human who sees them to quickly try to kill themselves.

Pond 5 in January said the footage “was taken out of context” and apologized. But Netflix said at the time it wasn’t planning to cut the clip, although said it was looking at ways to do things differently moving forward.

Nexflix changed its mind and said Friday it will replace the footage with an outtake from a former TV series in the U.S. The company said it is “sorry for any pain caused to the Lac-Megantic community.”

The mayor of Lac-Megantic, Julie Morin, had criticized the use of the footage, calling it “a lack of respect.” She and Quebec’s culture and communications minister, Nathalie Roy, applauded Netflix’s latest move. “This result shows that by being united and pooling our efforts, everything is possible,” Roy tweeted.