Birmingham AL

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
When I win I bring we with me
Edit: Thread was originally about B'ham Magic city classic, but I just changed it to be about Birmingham AL in general :yeshrug:

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.evbuc.com%2Fimages%2F35991526%2F180860273364%2F1%2Foriginal.jpg
Edit: Thread was originally about B'ham Magic city classic, but I just changed it to be about Birmingham AL in general :yeshrug:
75th-MCC-Logo-1024x768.jpg

Birmingham is spending $1.35 million on the 75th Magic City Classic this year, according to information released today by the mayor's office.

The Magic City Classic is the largest city-sponsored event and has an economic impact of $18 million on the Birmingham area, according to the Greater Birmingham Convention and Visitors Bureau. The 2015 event had 50,000 attendees.

Birmingham spending $1.35 million on Magic City Classic; here's where the money goes

October 29 will mark the 75th Annual Magic City Classic, a milestone in the long-standing rivalry between the football teams (and marching bands) of Alabama A&M University and Alabama State University. The event’s been around for much longer than just 75 years — the first Magic City Classic was held in 1924 — but it didn’t become a yearly occurrence until 1945.

Since then, the Magic City Classic has become a major part of Birmingham’s cultural DNA, with tens of thousands of fans converging on Legion Field every year to cheer on their teams, either from within the stadium or from the massive tailgate parties going on outside.

The Magic City Classic’s growth has become particularly prominent in recent years. It’s attracted celebrities including Ice Cube, Bootsy Collins, Steve Harvey and Willie Mays to serve as “Ambassadors” to the event — Atlanta-based rapper Ludacris holds that title this year — and it’s become the largest HBCU football classic in the country. “The classic is steadily moving closer to the goal of a sell-out crowd of 70,000,” wrote HBCU Lifestyle in 2014; the event’s website notes that organizers expect that this will be the year that it happens.

In anticipation of the big weekend, here’s a sampling of events — both official and unofficial — that are part of the celebration.

Tuesday, October 25

Ole School Magic City Classic Kick-Off Concert

Birmingham Museum of Art. 2000 Reverend Abraham Woods Jr Blvd. It’s not often that Mayor William Bell and the Birmingham City Council can be seen working together, but here’s an opportunity. This concert, which features performances by Cheryl Pepsii Riley and Shirley Murdock, gets the weekend’s festivities off to an early start. The event, which is hosted by DJ Chris Coleman and Isis Jones, is free and open to the public. 6 p.m. to 11 p.m.

Thursday, October 27

Natural Hair and Health Expo Pep Rally

Sheraton Birmingham Hotel. 2101 Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. N. Sponsored by the alumni associations of both AAMU and ASU, this event features a cash bar and hors d’oeuvres — as well as “team cheers and spirit.” 7 p.m. $15. For more information visitmagiccityclassic.com/schedule-of-events.

Rickey Smiley Karaoke Live After Hours

Merienda Lounge. Featuring the cast of RSMS. Doors open at 6 p.m.; the event begins at 7 p.m. $15.

Magic City Kickoff Party

Platinum of Birmingham. 821 Second Ave. N. Party late into the night with Houston-based rapper Devin the Dude. Doors open at 5 p.m.; no cover until 8 p.m. The show begins at 11:30 p.m. For more information visit platinumofbham.com or call 205-324-0791.

Hot Afterwork Affair (and After the Afterwork Affair)

Steel. 2300 First Ave. N. Hot 107.7 hosts this event, which features R&B singer (and Motown signee) Kevin Ross. Then, afterward, the party goes on with Dreezy and DJ Luke Nasty. For more information visit 1stand23rd.com.

Friday, October 28

Rickey Smiley Morning Show Live Broadcast.

BJCC Concert Hall. Kick things off bright and early on Friday with this free show. Doors open at 4:30 a.m.; the show starts at 5 a.m.

Kings & Queens Day Party: The 2016 Kick-Off

The Wine Loft. 2200 First Ave. N. Hosted by TyressaTy, this 21+ event will feature an open bar and music by DJ Jukebox. The event is sponsored in part by ASU and AAMU alumni. Tickets are $10 in advance. 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. For more information, visitclassickingsandqueensdayparty16.eventbrite.com.

Alabama A&M and Alabama State Friday Seafood Bash.

Homestyle Kitchen. 541-B Graymont Ave. W. This event, located next to Legion Field, is billed as a “party with a purpose,” raising money to fight cancer — and excitement for the big game. Seafood will be prepared by Chef Julia May; DJ CJ Stickman will provide the music. $40 pre-donations go to the Chef Julia May Cancer Foundation. 6 p.m. For more information call 205-229-0606.

Magic City Music Fest

Legacy Arena at the BJCC. 1001 19th St. N. Featuring performers Bell Biv DeVoe, Mint Condition, Doug E. Fresh and Jagged Edge. 7:30 p.m. $45-$75. For more information visit bit.ly/2dylORc.

The A-List: Magic City Classic Weekend Jumpoff

Magnolia House. 916 23rd St. S. The “A” in A-List stands, in this case, for alumni. Graduates of both schools are invited to this event, sponsored by both schools’ young alumni associations. Hosted by “JU” and “DWOOD.” Doors open at 9 p.m. For more information call 205-383-8915.

Insomnia Block Party

Steel. 2300 First Ave. N. Steel hosts an all-day party on Friday, but things heat up in the evening — and into the early morning — with performances by R&B singer Tank, Elle Varner and Anthony David. From 3 p.m. until 3 a.m. For more information, visit 1stand23rd.com.

Saturday, October 29

McDonald’s Magic City Classic Parade

Downtown Birmingham. 8 a.m. This massive event features marching bands from around the state. For more information visitmagiccityclassic.com/parade-participants.

Coors Light Pre-Game Tailgate Party

Legion Field (West Side). 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

This side of the tailgate party — AAMU’s side — will feature the crew behind 95.7 Jamz. The event will be hosted by Raven Washington, with DJing by DJ Trouble and Fresh the DJ. Starting at noon there will be performances by Young Joc, Black Montana, Polo PJ, and more.

Ford Tailgate Takeover

Legion Field (East Side). 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Or, you can check out theother side of the tailgate party — the side designated for ASU fans.

Magic City Classic Kickoff

Legion Field. 3 p.m. The game itself begins. To purchase tickets, visitmagiccityclassic.com.

Halftime

Legion Field. Will feature an appearance by celebrity ambassador Ludacris and the battle of the bands featuring the Alabama A&M Marching Maroon and White Band and the ASU Mighty Marching Hornets.

Post-Game Concert

Legion Field. The Magic City Classic’s celebrity ambassador Ludacris will perform the official post-game concert.

Magic City Classic #1NO

Levels at 16th. 1612 Third Ave. N. It’s pronounced “One Night Only.” Finish out the weekend with fans of both team under one roof — “the biggest collaboration since peanut butter and jelly,” organizers claim. This after party will feature performances by DJ Skeme, DJ Don GE, DJ Zippy and Torrey Davone.

Tickets:

Tickets can be purchased online, and are $35 each for reserved tickets or $25 general admission. Commemorative tickets (mailed out after the game) are also available for an additional $5. Tickets for the pep rally are $12.

Magic City Classic 2016 Fan Guide: Football, Ludacris, tickets, parking, more

Admitted fukkery
:francis:

Last edited:

KENNY DA COOKER

HARD ON HOES is not a word it's a LIFESTYLE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
My ex went to this shyt back in the day......she said it was lame compared to most events like daytona...myrtle beach....just a bunch of pseudo ballers stunting in cars and thots looking for attention...

Its 2016 and they got LUDACRIS as their featured performer?!?! :why:

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
My ex went to this shyt back in the day......she said it was lame compared to most events like daytona...myrtle beach....just a bunch of pseudo ballers stunting in cars and thots looking for attention...

Its 2016 and they got LUDACRIS as their featured performer?!?! :why:

being from bham, this is all it really is, but it is REALLY big down here since the iron bowl is no longer played at legion field.

pretty much the HBCU version of all star weekend.

People be saving up weeks for that "classic weekend" outfit. traffic gonna be crazy, cuz every body gonna be driving slow, and blasting music.

Everyone gonna come to the game, just to tailgate, walk around the stadium and and look cute, then leave by half time to go get ready for the night festivities.

clubs gonna be taxing, traffic gonna be backed up, all the c list celebs gonna :eat:

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
being from bham, this is all it really is, but it is REALLY big down here since the iron bowl is no longer played at legion field.

pretty much the HBCU version of all star weekend.

People be saving up weeks for that "classic weekend" outfit. traffic gonna be crazy, cuz every body gonna be driving slow, and blasting music.

Everyone gonna come to the game, just to tailgate, walk around the stadium and and look cute, then leave by half time to go get ready for the night festivities.

clubs gonna be taxing, traffic gonna be backed up, all the c list celebs gonna :eat:
:russ::deadrose:..................:ehh:

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@-DMP- Hey Chubb rock who is apparently a "legendary entertainer" and Dana Dane the "hip hop icon" gotta eat to :troll: ...Young Joc "reality tv superstar" :deadmanny:

tailgate_takeover_social_media_0_1477304077.jpg

Not shytting on breakfast club though :ehh::yeshrug:

Ford Tailgate Takeover with Breakfast Club!
Legion Field • Fri, Oct 28, 2016 @ 12:00 am to Sat, Oct 29, 2016

aHR0cDovL2ltZy5jY3JkLmNsZWFyY2hhbm5lbC5jb20vbWVkaWEvbWxpYi8xNDg0OC8yMDE2LzEwL2RlZmF1bHQvdGFpbGdhdGV0YWtlb3ZlcjIwMTZkbF8wXzE0NzczMDQyNzMuanBn

Read more: Ford Tailgate Takeover with Breakfast Club! | Legion Field, Birmingham, AL | 104.1 The Beat
The Tailgate Takeover is a high-energy, music driven celebration during the Magic City Classic. Ford brings you live performances, celebrity guests, interactive fun with giveaways and all you have to do is register for FREE admission!

This year we are featuring a Classic Concert with hip-hop legend Dana Dane, reality TV star and multi-platinum rapper Yung Joc, along with radio personality and entertainment icon Chubb Rock.

There will also be interactive games by PlayDate with DJ Genius and Jason, The Ford Marching Fusion, and more! The nationally syndicated radio dream team "The Breakfast Club" are coming down from NY to make this year's Takeover even more memorable. Don't miss out!

Read more: Ford Tailgate Takeover with Breakfast Club! | Legion Field, Birmingham, AL | 104.1 The Beat

They came down some other time also...:patrice:

aa48.jpg

Either way it's a good event for the city:yeshrug: It actually helped them ready the city for a world games 2021 bid which Birmingham AL won:ehh:

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
City broke but spending money on a football game thats going to be there anyway.
SMH

Time to dead the Magic city classic, let that shyt rotate between Huntsville and Montgomery.

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WHERE THE WORLD WILL BE WON
boxes.png

The World Games 2021 will take place in Birmingham, Alabama USA. This decision was announced by José Perurena, President of the International World Games Association, on Thursday, 22 January 2015.

World Games 2021

IWGA PRESIDENT PERURENA: BIRMINGHAM, ALABAMA (USA) TO BE HOST CITY OF THE WORLD GAMES 2021.
IWGA-President-Jose-Perurena-announces-Birmingham-Host-City-of-TWG2021.jpg
World Games 2021 will take place in Birmingham/Alabama/USA. This decision was announced by José Perurena, President of the International World Games Association, at noon on Thursday, 22 January 2015, at a press conference in the Mövenpick Hotel in Lausanne.

During its meetings on Wednesday the IWGA Executive Committee had made a final assessment of the Bids from Birmingham (USA), Lima (Peru) and Ufa (Russia), and evaluated the delegations’ final presentations. The IWGA Executive Board took the final decision on the host city for the 11th edition of this multi-sports event at its meeting on Thursday morning.

This announcement is subject to successful negotiation of contractual conditions, and subsequent confirmation by the IWGA‘s Annual General Meeting (AGM) in April 2015. The agreement with the next host city will be signed right after the AGM. The 10th edition of The World Games will be staged in 2017 in Wroclaw Poland. The IWGA flag will be handed over to the representatives of Birmingham during the closing ceremony in Wroclaw on 30 July 2017.

Giving reasons for the decision in favour of Birmingham/Alabama, President José Perurena mentioned the excellent bid presented by the host city. "We are happy to showcase our sports in Birmingham in July 2021, and we are sure that we will be offered optimal conditions for our sportsmen and women there. All the bids we received were of very high quality, and it was not easy for us to reach a decision. We have to deliver nothing less than outstanding World Games. We are convinced that Birmingham will exceed these expectations.” José Perurena stated.

Birmingham offers all prerequisites to stage an event like The World Games. The IWGA President added. This refers not only to the required sporting venues and infrastructure. The city also meets expectations in terms of organizing skills and the support of the city administration and the National Olympic Committee.

So, after Santa Clara 1981, the inaugural edition, The World Games will return to the USA. Birmingham is the largest city in Alabama, with more than 210,000 residents. It will be the first time that the city hosts an international multi-sport event.

The bidding process had been started by the IWGA in early 2014. Birmingham (USA), Lima (Peru) and Ufa (Russia) applied to host the 11th edition of The World Games.

ABOUT THE WORLD GAMES
The World Games – under the patronage of the IOC - are a quadrennial and multidisciplinary sports event, which showcase 25+ sports, such as Gymnastics, Squash, Tug of War, Sumo and Roller Sports. About 4,500 athletes and officials from approximately 100 countries take part in The World Games. The 10th edtion of The World Games will take place in Wroclaw/ Poland from 20 to 30 July 2017.

Past editions of The World Games
Birmingham, AL (USA), to be Host City of The World Games 2021

How did Birmingham win the 2021 World Games? Meet the man behind the vision and the victory
How did Birmingham win the 2021 World Games? Meet the man behind the vision and the victory

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
City broke but spending money on a football game thats going to be there anyway.
SMH

Time to dead the Magic city classic, let that shyt rotate between Huntsville and Montgomery.

:what:

Birmingham is spending $1.35 million on the 75th Magic City Classic this year, according to information released today by the mayor's office.

The Magic City Classic is the largest city-sponsored event and has an economic impact of $18 million on the Birmingham area, according to the Greater Birmingham Convention and Visitors Bureau. The 2015 event had 50,000 attendees.

Birmingham spending $1.35 million on Magic City Classic; here's where the money goes

:martin:

Birmingham is in Jefferson county but it's not Jefferson county bruh
City of Birmingham has $5M budget surplus
Tuesday, June 30th 2015, 5:54 pm CDTTuesday, July 7th 2015, 7:26 pm CDT
By Vanessa Araiza, Anchor/Reporter

(Source: City of Birmingham)
BIRMINGHAM, AL (WBRC) -The dilemma a lot of cities run into is that they don't have enough money.

For the city of Birmingham, they are trying to make a plan on what to spend $5 million on. That's the amount the city didn't expect to have at the end of the fiscal budget year.

Mayor William Bell said even though the budget has not been passed due to continuous questions from city councilors he said he's taking it in stride.

The goal right now is to get the budget passed and use a large amount of that money to tackle eyesores around the city.

“This money will give us the shot in the arm that we can go ahead and proceed quickly and mowing those overgrown lots and taking
down abandon houses,” said Mayor Bell.

The city already has contractors ready to tackle the problem.

Mayor Bell said they're just waiting approval of funds from city council.

Copyright 2015 WBRC. All rights reserved.

Are the world games coming to Huntsville and Montgomery :sas2:

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama
SMH

nikka that shyt BRINGS money to this broke ass city. lol. I fukking hate it because traffics gonna fukking suck and half of the west side(the best side btw) gonna be yellow taped off because of it. but its a good event.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
nikka that shyt BRINGS money to this broke ass city. lol. I fukking hate it because traffics gonna fukking suck and half of the west side(the best side btw) gonna be yellow taped off because of it. but its a good event.

No offense but fukk Bham.
We lost the turkey day classic because of the fukk boys in Tuskegee, we need something back for our area and I don't see any reason why Bham needs to be involved at all.
As for bringing in money, its gonna bring in money regardless, they don't have to do shyt to get that money from all the folks coming in for teh classic.

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama
No offense but fukk Bham.
We lost the turkey day classic because of the fukk boys in Tuskegee, we need something back for our area and I don't see any reason why Bham needs to be involved at all.
As for bringing in money, its gonna bring in money regardless, they don't have to do shyt to get that money from all the folks coming in for teh classic.

Breh I'm not a city planner or nothing but I'm certain it takes money to make money. Every event cost the city money in some way shape or form.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Breh I'm not a city planner or nothing but I'm certain it takes money to make money. Every event cost the city money in some way shape or form.
The classic isn't planned or wasn't planned by the city though.
It was between A&M and State on "neutral" ground, like the Iron Bowl, it worked out for Bham that it was chosen there and the respective schools do the planning for the event, city of Bham doesn't.
Now its good that the city welcomes the two schools, but it had nothing to do with the schools choosing that venue.

That said maybe they will have to start paying, because State has its new stadium that is isn't using for a lot of these classics and I"m sure A&M is expanding as well and like UA and Auburn that money would be better spent staying in house instead of going to bham.