Black American genealogy thread

invalid

Banned
Bushed
Daps
Bump.

Been wanting a thread where we can share tips and tricks, brick walls, and any findings.

invalid

Banned
Bushed
Daps
One of the things I’m currently researching was sparked by this odd short poem written by the Justice of the Peace that he left on the 1850 Shelby County Ohio marriage record of my 4th Great Grandparents - Alexander McCune and Sarah Clark.

Alex McCune was born enslaved in Staunton, Virginia. Sarah Clark was born free to a free black family in Ohio by way of Virginia.

095-E1-E0-B-360-E-4-BBD-A6-EE-E2-D057837-B52.png

The caption reads:

“Black is the cloud, without one sunbeam,
Long is the day, that has no moon,
But blacker that heart that could refuse
To marry Miss Clark to Alex McCune”

I have no idea what could’ve prompted him to write this or that there would have been an issue with them marrying. I know free blacks typically married other free blacks but this appears to be something deeper. Plus, in 1850, slavery was not yet abolished and Alex was in Ohio living as a free man.

invalid

Banned
Bushed
Daps
When you find out you’re connected to William Parker of the Christiana Resistance.

Although not enough has been said about slave and maroon resistance against slavery in US, even less has been stated how legally recognized free blacks who were in privileged positions compared slaves and maroons with more to lose aided not only in non-violent forms of activism such as in the abolitionist movement but also going as far as to violently take up arms in the collective battle of Afr'Am in this nation to physically combat slavery, white terrorism, and WS in general.

Here are some examples of free blacks SUCCESSFULLY taking up arms against whites in the fight against oppression during the slavery era.

William Parker and the Christiana Riot

Christiana Riot - Wikipedia
William Parker (abolitionist) - Wikipedia

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
How far have yall gone? Any stuck points?

frankster

Rookie
Daps
Here is a hmmm....there is an simple answer but its nice to think about our commonality
If we go back 2000 thousand years, approximately 40 generations you have an estimated 2,199,023,255,550 ancestor according to genealogy.
But is is estimated no more than 108,000,000,000 people has ever been born
Thats a discrepancy of over two Trillion, whats going on here?