Black and Muslim's Duke It Out in Minnesota High School

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
I had a Muslim roommate (African American) in college who was the same way. I mean he was cool as shyt but when we went out and stuff he usually stayed home or went to the library or some shyt. :manny:

What would trip me out though is we would be playing Madden or something and dude would drop the sticks to go pray with no hesitation. He smoked weed and all that but when it was time to pray he would chuck us the deuces quick. When it was his weed people would be wondering if we should keep smoking...

:mjpls: Pass that.

everything comes after prayer, once you get in the habit, it becomes routine

Broke Wave

The GOAT
Daps
Reppin
Open Society Foundation
remember when we were walking through the hood..and a young light skinn neega stepped to you and immediately began discussing the proceeds of the days illegal activities?

or when the two west african descended oafs in your hood would throw you beckies left and right :deadrose:

these neegaz don't know what they're talking about..saying that muslims stick together based on race.

muslims be racist as a muthafukka too..and i nfact somalians hate arabs..and arabs don't like black people IN GENERAL

:dead: personally bro I think its the people on the coli who are mostly like suburb type nikkas who never really understood how race relations really happen... like how most people see arabs as cacs... idk any somalians who call themselves arab I actually have never met anyone who said that but apparently they say that? These nikkas are in my opinion mostly nikkas that went to school on a bus and got home at 330 in time to watch degrassi and shyt.

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Thing is, we Somalis are not Arabized like our brehs in (North) Sudan. Now since the civil war you can make an argument that there's been a lot of influence from Saudi and what not but thats the case with the whole Muslim world since the 1970s. The Somali language does have a lot of vocabulary from Arabic but the grammar and structure of sentences is completely different. Arabs didn't 'rule' over the Somali peninsula at all either. And its true most Somalis do not like Arabs but then again, Somalis don't like a lot of people including other Somalis because of clan differences.

You can make a case of more people in East Africa being Muslim after the time of the Prophet than the entire Arab world.

But thats moving besides the point here. I've been to Minnesota, London, Columbus, OH, ATL, I live in the DMV and have observed so many of the Somali communities. Yes, we Somalis for the most part stick to ourselves despite the divisions in our community. But it is varying in these different places. Here in the DMV, Somalis are much more integrated with people of other cultures due to us having a smaller community here. I'm practicing Muslim and there's certain things I won't do with the AAs I grew up with (party, club, etc) but we ball, we watch games, go eat and all that... those my homies. I pray at work and I'm pretty open about it. I could care less what people think. I don't think being practicing is a barrier or should be a barrier to connecting with people. But there's boundaries no doubt and you definitely hit the nail on the head with that.

And as far as Somalis being in the news over violence.. :manny: my people are just crazy in general and really defy authority. For a Somali, its my way or the highway mentality. Just look at our homeland having civil war and disagreements about anything political.

Good post, pretty much addressed everything.

I've gotta say I've noticed that Somalis who were brought up/ lived in areas with much less Somalis and were forced to assimilate generally do better. Indwardness isn't rare for relatively recent immigrant groups, but it doesn't really bode well for success of young people.

FAH1223

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Good post, pretty much addressed everything.

I've gotta say I've noticed that Somalis who were brought up/ lived in areas with much less Somalis and were forced to assimilate generally do better. Indwardness isn't rare for relatively recent immigrant groups, but it doesn't really bode well for success of young people.

Yeah. My dad came to the US in 1978 and was in Oregon, then 2 years later moved to Indiana first year of college, then a year later has been in DC/Maryland ever since though now he's in Somalia.

Back when me and my siblings were mad young like 15 years ago, my mom wanted to move to Canada cause her sisters were moving up to Ontario. My dad has always been against living in the big Somali metro areas and refused. Funny thing was that my aunts all moved back here to either VA or OH.

For folks like my parents who were here before the civil war, they didn't have a choice of just sticking inside the Somali community because there basically was no Somali community here in this continent. Hundreds of people if at that scattered all over the place. So they were forced to adapt... some people changed to the point of losing their values, others had their identities more reinforced without it letting it be a barrier to others who are different.

25YOUTHS!!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As a Somali who's from MN and went to university in the twin cities, can't say I'm surprised. Shyt happens errday, only difference is I think the scale with 300+ mufukkas brawling at one time. I used to stay getting in fights with AA even though some of my best homies were black, mostly over some dumb BS.
SMH at ya'll saying Somalis consider themselves arab

Justice

pathogen
Daps
not true look at sierra leone,gambia Guinea,mali e.t.c black africans are more or less as much muslim as they are christian.

The most prevalent religion in Sub-Saharan "black" Africa is Roman Catholicism. Islam in Sub Saharan Africa is most prevalent in the countries bordering the Sahara or the Arab/Berber Muslim countries of the north and the eastern coast of Africa including the horn of Africa. The Muslim countries of the north are considered part of the Arab world so it's not really accurate to describe them as "black." Fair enough, there's quite a bit of grey area, but it's definitely not accurate to say that black African's are "as much Muslim as they are Christian." It's not a 50/50 split and the demographics and history of region don't back up that statement at all.

youre talking out your aass

in canada..somalian and black = the same thing

somalians put in just as much work as west african descended neegaz and rep the hoods just as hard..maybe when theyre with their fam they're different..

but don't make generalizations about blacks and muslims based on your family

Somali and black are the same thing in a lot of places, including in the US where this brawl took place. You are just stupid - you can't even formulate a complete sentence when you post.

If you want to talk about religion, read the Hadith and the study up on the opinions of the foremost Islamic clerics of the various schools in Sunni Islam then talk dummy.

Thing is, we Somalis are not Arabized like our brehs in (North) Sudan. Now since the civil war you can make an argument that there's been a lot of influence from Saudi and what not but thats the case with the whole Muslim world since the 1970s. The Somali language does have a lot of vocabulary from Arabic but the grammar and structure of sentences is completely different. Arabs didn't 'rule' over the Somali peninsula at all either. And its true most Somalis do not like Arabs but then again, Somalis don't like a lot of people including other Somalis because of clan differences.

You can make a case of more people in East Africa being Muslim after the time of the Prophet than the entire Arab world.

But thats moving besides the point here. I've been to Minnesota, London, Columbus, OH, ATL, I live in the DMV and have observed so many of the Somali communities. Yes, we Somalis for the most part stick to ourselves despite the divisions in our community. But it is varying in these different places. Here in the DMV, Somalis are much more integrated with people of other cultures due to us having a smaller community here. I'm practicing Muslim and there's certain things I won't do with the AAs I grew up with (party, club, etc) but we ball, we watch games, go eat and all that... those my homies. I pray at work and I'm pretty open about it. I could care less what people think. I don't think being practicing is a barrier or should be a barrier to connecting with people. But there's boundaries no doubt and you definitely hit the nail on the head with that.

And as far as Somalis being in the news over violence.. :manny: my people are just crazy in general and really defy authority. For a Somali, its my way or the highway mentality. Just look at our homeland having civil war and disagreements about anything political.

Ehhh, your hatred and racism towards Arabs is the reason why you are so hung up on my use of the term "Arabized." You should actually look up the meaning of that term because what you think it means (i.e. that Arabs ruled over Somalia or that Somali's consider themselves Arab) isn't what it really means. The effects of Arabization can be tracked through geography and the history of Arab traders along the African coast and the influence of the Muslim empires of old so of course Sudan is more Arabized than Somalia just like Somalia is more Arabized than Kenya. It's a very moot point because the fact of the matter is that your country is influenced by Arab culture and Islam (which itself arose out of Arab culture) whether you accept that or not. Somalia itself is considered a part of the Arab World and is a member state in the Arab League. Sorry, the truth doesn't care about your dumb prejudices.

Don't you pray in Arabic, or is that something you conveniently ignore to ward off that feeling of cognitive dissonance? :childplease:

FAH1223

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Ehhh, your hatred and racism towards Arabs is the reason why you are so hung up on my use of the term "Arabized." You should actually look up the meaning of that term because what you think it means (i.e. that Arabs ruled over Somalia or that Somali's consider themselves Arab) isn't what it really means. The effects of Arabization can be tracked through geography and the history of Arab traders along the African coast and the influence of the Muslim empires of old so of course Sudan is more Arabized than Somalia just like Somalia is more Arabized than Kenya. It's a very moot point because the fact of the matter is that your country is influenced by Arab culture and Islam (which itself arose out of Arab culture) whether you accept that or not. Somalia itself is considered a part of the Arab World and is a member state in the Arab League. Sorry, the truth doesn't care about your dumb prejudices.

Don't you pray in Arabic, or is that something you conveniently ignore to ward off that feeling of cognitive dissonance? :childplease:
:whoa: what's with the aggressiveness bro? Somalia joined the Arab league merely to connect itself more with the Gulf at a time it was using connections there and with the USSR to build its forces up to build a Greater Somalia. Unfortunately, it backfired and switching alliances to the USA didn't do anything as this country was in agreement with the USSR in not changing Africa's boarders despite ethnic Somalis living across modern Somalia's borders. Siad Barre made the decision to not even have the Somali language written in Arabic script but rather Latin.

I speak Arabic too. I have studied Arab culture. I've lived in an Arab country for a bit. Now we share similarities of course due to our religion and proximity plus history.

But yeah, Allah chose the Quran to be in Arabic due to its clarity. There's an ayah that specifically mentions that but I forgot which surah. But just because its in Arabic doesn't mean this religion is an Arab one. Hell, there's plenty non Muslim Arabs.

I think it's a misconception that to be a Muslim nation they have to have Arab customs ESP when not all Arabs are Muslim.

I'm not prejudiced to Arabs or anyone else. My people in general are prejudiced to Arabs but that's due to more of an anger of how ESP the Gulf nations claim to be big helpers but yet Somalis and other refugees are turned away by them, by some racist scumbags, etc. Can't generalize all people cause there's folk doing good work and some countries like Syria let in refugees without any papers.

Daps
:dead: personally bro I think its the people on the coli who are mostly like suburb type nikkas who never really understood how race relations really happen... like how most people see arabs as cacs... idk any somalians who call themselves arab I actually have never met anyone who said that but apparently they say that? These nikkas are in my opinion mostly nikkas that went to school on a bus and got home at 330 in time to watch degrassi and shyt.

:dead::dead::dead::dead::dead:

fomily is mod because he's never seen a west african oaf and a somalian goof ride in a suburban through teh slums of downtown toronto discussing hood politics bumping max b and then stopping for a bite at a gourmet burger joint